Search results

1. J

SD card for Dell dual sd-card solution - esxi

I just ordered the dual sd-card module for my esxi lab server. I have issues with the usb stick I'm using today, it get's disconnected, so vsphere cannot save configuration to disk. Are there any sd cards that are better suited for this use, as esxi do write to the sd card pretty frequently? I...
  2. J

Cheap 8+ ports sfp+ - low noise

Whats the cheapest 10gig sfp+ switch you can get these days? Needs 8 ports minimum, low noise. Can be a stupid non-manageable switch. Will only be used for iscsi network. -Jannis
  3. J

h8dg6-f, dual opteron 6128, 64Gb ram - resale value?

as the topic says, what would this be worth? Replaced my server, and got some parts to sell. Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8DG6-F 2x opteron 6128 8x 8Gb kingston ecc memory (iirc). will sell it here in Norway, just trying to figure out a decent price -jannis
  4. J

Ruckus R700 BO $90 accepted

Edit: seems I messed up. Looks like R700 does not support unleashed firmware... This looks like a good deal. Just got one accepted at $90. Shipping to Norway was cheap too. Ruckus ZoneFlex R700 Dual Band Indoor Wireless Access Point 901-R700-US00 15568556494 | eBay -jannis
  5. J

opnsense vpn performance - e3-1220

I am considering using a Dell Poweredge R210 II as an opnsense firewall for my work lab. How much should this be able to handle of plain routing, vpn (ipsec? openvpn), ids etc. It has 16GB ram and a Xeon e3-1220 (4 core 3.1Ghz w/aes-ni) -jannis
  6. J

Cheapest vsphere grid gpu without licensing costs from Nvidia

As the topic say, what is the cheapest Nvidia Grid gpu I can get to test out vgpu and "slicing" of a gpu to different vm's and still use nvidia driver with cuda in the vm? (not assigning 1 gpu to 1 vm). Trying to setup a lab here, do do a cheap poc that I can present at work. The newest grid...
  7. J

Small micro-atx case for firewall usage

What is the smallest case for Micro-atx that's available today? I can only seem to find rather large cases meant for m-atx gaming use with big gfx cards etc Have an Asus P10S-M m-atx server board I'd like to use for OpnSense. -Jannis
  8. J

Controller(s) for 12 sata dvd-roms

Which controller setup would be easiest and preferably the cheapest way to support a minimum of 7 sata cd/dvdroms? Would a h200 with IT firmware support this? Are there any even cheaper hba's, as I would only need sata-1 I believe pr.port -j
  9. J

Recommended (cheap) 1TB m.2 2280 nvme

I’m looking for the best deal/value nvme m.2 ssd at around 1TB. Anyone have any good recommendations? Considering the Corsair MP510, but have hopes to find something cheaper on ebay etc. preferably more enterprise than prosumer. Usage will be laptop with my entire config manager lab. (4-8 vm’s) -j
  10. J

recommendations for silent nas chassis - 10+ drives?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a silent chassis with space for minimum 10 drives, but preferably 15+. (3.5 inch) m-atx would be perfect. -j
  11. J

cheap pfsense hardware w/aes-ni?

Considering building a pfsense or opnsense box for home use. 500/500 fiber connection. would like decent performance with suricata, vpn ++ Been looking at the mbt-4220 system for $199, but they don’t ship to Norway, and I’m not sure how much vpn performance I’d get. 2Gb ram is also not much, if...
  12. J

CRS309-1G-8S+PC - release date?

Does anyone know when Mikrotik will release the 8-port sfp+ switch for sale. Been waiting for the CRS309-1G-8S+PC for 5 months so far :) -j
  13. J

Cheap thin client for dual monitor (w10, 2012 r2 and 2016)

Hi! I'm looking for a cheap thin client to replace my laptop at work. I would need 2x dvi (1920x1200), and at least 2 usb ports. It needs to support RDP to Windows 10 and Server 2016 (and earlier versions). I saw the HP T310, but as this is a Zero Client for Vmware, I'm pretty sure I cannot...
  14. J

any cheap sas expanders (6gbps sata)

Hey! does anyone know of some cheap sas expanders supporting 6gbps sata drives? I see the hp sas expandersare dirt cheap now, under $30, but unfortunately they only support 3gbps sata -Jannis
  15. J

Planning DIY NAS for 2-node vsphere cluster - advice needed

I posted this in the wrong area of the forum. Hope I have better luck here :) I am in the process of getting a proper 10gbit vaai supported storage solution for my home lab. I am considering the QNAP TS-831X, as it has 2x sfp+ built-in, and vaai support + vsphere plugin. Not sure if the...
  16. J

Planning DIY NAS for 2-node vsphere cluster - advice needed

Hey! I am in the process of getting a proper 10gbit vaai supported storage solution for my home lab. I am considering the QNAP TS-831X, as it has 2x sfp+ built-in, and vaai support + vsphere plugin. Not sure if the performance will be good enough though. So, I found some hardware I might...
  17. J

EU (Norway) Supermicro 45bay jbod - 847E16-RJBOD1

Considering selling my 847E16-RJBOD1 45bay Supermicro jbod. It has 45 new caddies installed, but NO drives! Screws for drives is not included. SC847E16-RJBOD1 | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc. This is located in Vestby, Norway, and I hope to not have to ship this...
  18. J

Best value ~250GB m.2 nvme ssd?

I'm building a new gaming pc, and as it has support for m.2 pcie nvme boot drives, I'd like to use that :) What is the best deal these days for a ~250GB nvme drive? (new or used/refurbished) -Jannis
  19. J

Recommended OS SSD for 2-node S2D hyper-v cluster

As the title says. Any good recommendations for OS boot SSD for 2-node Storage Spaces Direct Hyper-V cluster? Preferably enterprise ~100GB, refurbished/from datacenter is very much ok. For lab use, so new etc is not needed. -Jannis
  20. J

supermicro sc847 45bay jbod - limit fan noise

Has anyone managed to make the supermicro sc847 45bay jbod chassis a bit more homelab friendly noisewise? I tried powering it on yesterday, and it would be nice not to have a jumbojet in the apartment :) Would be nice not having to sell this.... -J