Search results

1. S

[Sold/Traded] 16x 64GB DDR4-2933 REG ECC (or trade for LRDIMMS)

Dell branded mix of SKhynix and Samsung 16x 64GB DDR4-2933 REG ECC - $160/ea Open to a trade for 64GB Load Reduced DIMMSs. (I screwed up and 1st gen scalable needs LRDIMMs for 64GB sticks)
  2. S

Layer 3 Switch w/ PFSense

The best answer is to install it and play with the "roles and features" that can be installed. Hardware that old is going to be a power hog just to be running a couple simple services and I can't imagine performance would be very good to do much of anything (assuming the CPU really is so old...
  3. S

Ok there is enough interest and I would like to put it out there that I would not recommend doing it this way... but it will work. It came up earlier in the thread but I'll lay it out a little more here. pfSense as gateway to the internet. pfSense with a trunk setup to the switch. setup a vlan...
  4. S

I believe what you are suggesting is using a trunk to pfSense and creating a vlan interface for each subnet in pfSense. Which yes that would work (set the default gateway in DHCP to be the L3 Switch IP) except return traffic from outside your network would be routed via pfsense not the L3...
  5. S

So basically if you want pfSense to handle DHCP for an IP range pfSense must have an interface with an IP configured in that subnet. If the only way for pfSense to get to a subnet is via a L3 route handled by another device you can not setup a DHCP range for that subnet. It is just an interface...
  6. S

Dell PowerConnect 5548 or 7048

5548 Stack via HDMI and has 2x 10Gbe SFP+ ports. 7048 uses a stacking card or you can add 10Gbe via the stack interface. Looks like the L3 functionality is better here too. I don't actually have experience with the 7048 but I have a couple 5548's that I used to use until I needed better L3 options.
  7. S

(Update 04-25) DFI DT122 (AMD RX-427BB) Industrial ITX T730-a-like; $99 shipped w/ 8GB

Bottom left side of the picture. It goes through the side panel. Edit: Exhaust not intake fan but it is the case fan that is not the CPU or PSU fan.
  8. S

That works and as long as it fits your needs I don't think there is too much wrong with that. You are correct no trunk required.
  9. S

That link gets pfSense to act as the helper. I would like to use my switch as the helper and pfSense as the Server. Yeah sounds like you have it now. You just have to add a gateway for x.x.1.234, then set up the static route as indicated. Good luck!
  10. S

Was the static route set correctly? Yeah the problem with the DHCP is that pfSense only lets you configure DHCP ranges for networks that are directly connected. For now my Windows Server is doing DHCP for me with ip-helper.
  11. S

I am doing this with pfSense and a Brocade ICX6610 You are doing this in a non-standard way however it should work and your static route should be: Destination Network = 192.168.10.0/24 LAN Gateway = 192.168.1.234 aka any traffic from pfSense destined for 192.168.10.0/24 should be sent to the...
  12. S

Netgate SG-1100 Launched Higher-Speed Arm pfSense Firewall

Seems like it would be acceptable for most soho/small branch stuff. Should be very usable on normal traffic types on a <250Mbps connection. Good upgrade at a reasonable price for a new supported device. Sure more can be done cheaper with a T620 or T730 or whatever. However you can recommend this...
  13. S

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Won't know for a couple days probably. I think it is fairly likely they will ship. Worst case is it gets canceled.
  14. S

$380 Micron 3.2TB S630DC SAS SSD & other capacities available

Still up. I went with 2x 1.6TB instead. Not crazy high performance numbers but good enough for what I will use it for.
  15. S

Quick ZFS refresher

Yeah I would think something like unraid for your media and maybe ZFS for your VMs and code. Though depending on your needs you could also just throw a few SSDs as separate devices in an unraid setup and probably have enough performance for whatever VMs you are trying to run. I wish they had...
  16. S

Seeking monitor and resolution opinions

That Sony would still require increasing the scaling since it is equivalent to 4x ~21" 1080p monitors. It would overall give you a little more realestate though. Tha 34" ultrawide I don't think is the right answer either you are incresing the resolution and losing a significant amount of height...
  17. S

Need advice on Massive New Plex server

I am running 12x WD Red 8TB (not Pro) in RAIDz2 (FreeNAS) and performance for sequential writes at least is more than enough. I don't know about the HP SAN but it could be the workload or something else too. My FreeNAS has been rock solid for a few years now. The 12x8TB replaced a 8x3TB freenas...
  18. S

I too have mine separate because network storage is useful for things other than plex. I prefer linux as the os for the plex server but I have done it many different ways over time. Right now I am just using an i3-8xxx for the 4k h.265 10bit quick sync support but my primary device is a Shield...
  19. S

-Go with the Quadro it will handle more streams than intel quick sync. Quick sync is usually just cheaper and can do what most people need and you get it with consumer CPUs. -Those SSDs are way overkill but hey if money is no object. -The shucked WDs should be just fine. I would actually look...