Search results

1. T

FreeNAS to host/run VM's

hey folks. I setup a FreeNAS box in my homelab to hold/run VM's that are part of my ESXi cluster. This is purely a development/testing type of environment and a playground. What started out as a quick and dirty setup, has slowly started to evolve to really looking at my setup and figuring out...
  2. T

ESXi server- 4 Port Card NIC recommendation?

hey folks So i was just going to go out and buy a Intel 4 port NIC card for my ESXi server, but I had this feeling that I should ask first. last one i bought was a I350-T4 off of ebay, works just fine. I might buy another one, but before I do, should i consider something else? I dont see the...
  3. T

Question on storage for ESXi servers - SSD and AIC

Hey folks Was hoping to get some feedback and suggestions for some storage I need for a few ESXi servers. I was going to add a couple of SSD's to each server for local storage. Seems to wok well. However, i had a question about AIC card/storage. That is new territory for me. Looks like these...
  4. T

Tips on updating SuperMicro BIOS

Hey Folks I was gifted an old SM board recently for my FreeNAS box. This is the specific one: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCL-F-O I am pretty sure the BIOs and other pieces need to be updated. However, I was testing out the 'sum.exe' and trying to do some stuff remote, but it says I can not do it...
  5. T

New ESXi server build - been awhile

Hey Folks I need to upgrade/refresh one of my ESXi servers. Current one is old, loud and noisy old SCSI drives. Couple of things I am looking for: Quiet and cool Ability to support 128gb memory (2) CPU's supported, may start with one for now. 4+ NIC's 2-4- 2.5 drives for internal storage In...
  6. T

IPMI help - Really frustrated

Folks I have been trying to figure out how to properly set my fan speed on my CPU for somet ime now and have spent countless hours reading about it, trying to get this to work. I thought I had it then something changed this morning. I have the following mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server...
  7. T

Looking for suggestions on specific hardware for home lab -ultra quiet build

As the title states, I need some suggestions on a build I will be doing for my home lab (work and home stuff). It will be running ESXi with a bunch of VM's and containers. The one unique challenge/requirement is that the build/server needs to be virtually silent. (long story, but super quiet is...
  8. T

Need to update Xeon CPU for ESXi server - suggestions?

Pretty easy question hopefully. I bought the following CPU a year or so ago and need to upgrade it. It has limitations that are affecting my ESXi server. Here is the CPU: Used - Like New: Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3 Haswell 1.6 GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 15MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 85W BX80644E52603V3...
  9. T

Using IPMI tool on X10 SuperMicro board - fan speed

Hey everyone. I know this question has been asked before and I found this reference material here: Reference Material - Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control My problem summary: setup a new server and replaced the heatsink on my CPU with a Noctua (narrow ILM) heatsink to reduce fan noise...
  10. T

Thoughts on Passive Heatsinks for Home server build?

Pretty straightforward. I have had to move some stuff around in my home office lately and my current SuperMicro server fan seems to have a little bit of a fan whine that i can hear and tend to focus on. Quick summary of my setup: ESXi server for testing: Supermicro MBD-X10SRL-F Server mobo...
  11. T

SSD cage (like ICY Dock?)

I have a bit of extra cash and picked up a few SSD's that i am planning to put into one of my servers. With that, i was looking for a cage to hold multiple SSD's and make it easy to install and manage. I have only seen ICY Dock, but thought before i just buy one, would get the feedback from the...
  12. T

Need to upgrade my CPU - holding me back

Greetings friends. i have a ESXi box that i build almost a year ago. As I start to push more and more stuff through it, my CPU is turning into a bit of a bottleneck. here is what I have: First, i have this mobo: SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F this CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3 Haswell 1.6 GHz LGA...
  13. T

Suggestions for VPN server setup for home

Greetings folks. Per the subject line, I am in need of setting up a VPN to reach my home lab network while on the road. I travel a lot for work and my home lab has grown to be a very efficient resource that i need to access while traveling. My laptop is just not cutting it anymore so I am in...
  14. T

Mixing memory question for server build - clarification

Hey everyone. I feel a little embarrassed asking this, but before i make a purchase and run into issues, i wanted to ask the folks here to help me understand how to properly setup my system with the right memory: Short version: Upgrading my memory from 64gb to 128. Currently have the following...
  15. T

Suggestions for completing server build for home lab

Hey folks. Hopefully this is a pretty easy question. The short version is, my company has said they would pay for parts to finish building out my server lab. My initial thought was, awesome, but then after that, what else could I add? I immediately thought about asking here. First, i have this...
  16. T

SUPERMICRO MBD-X10SRL-F Server Motherboard -- Memory question

Hey Folks. Back with a updated question for my latest build. i have the above motherboard that I am looking to expand on (finally). That said, I would like to get to 64gb minimum but plans to get to 128. Before I go buy the memory i was looking, I wwanted to ask the good folks here about what...
  17. T

Quad NIC's for ESXi server

Looking for recommendations on a quad NIC i want to add to my ESXi box. I found a couple, but was not sure of the differences between the two and was hoping to get some feedback here. Going to add some networking capabilities in my ESXi server (hopefully, will be able to add two ESXi boxes and...
  18. T

Easier to buy or build NAS server

I just finished building out a new ESXi server with the feedback of a lot of folks here. It has been running great so far. (thanks for all the help to members here.) Expanding on my home lab, the next piece I want is a NAS server. The purpose would be to serve as shared storage between my two...
  19. T

Question about storage/drives for ESXi server build

Hello everyone. Hoping i have a easy question here. Quick summary: Building out a new ESXi server, last piece is storage. I purchased: SuperMicro board that supports up to 512gb memory and has 10 SATA connectors. 3U Chassis for cooling and lots of storage options. Running ESXi 6.0 I...
  20. T

Looking for suggestions on a home rack - cosmetic and cost effecient - UPS help as well?

So, as i finalize my home build (which has been a blast and folks here have been tremendously helpful..!), need a few more pieces to finish off the build. The big one being a rack for my office. What I plan to have in my rack: Currently will have: 1. ESXi server in a 3U norco chassis with...