Search results

1. T

IPv6 Firewalls

So, I am working with IPv6 via Comcast residential. Like most residential services, the addresses are handed out via DHCP and subject to change any time. In practice, I have seen them stick for long periods, but any detailed firewall rules or other features that need a prefix entered won't work...
  2. T

Chromecast issues...

I have a pretty basic setup, but I'm wondering if perhaps I might have a config issue keeping casting from working. This crew is the most knowledgeable on networking that I know, so I thought I would ask here. Hardware involved.. Aruba S2500-48P Ubiquiti AC-Pro Xaomi Mi box Nvidia Shield...
  3. T

Cross platform backup?

So, I was happily using Crashplan to backup to local machines and have considered setting up a remote machine for really important stuff. That's gone now, so I'm wondering if anyone has a backup setup that can take over? I'm doing some manual stuff right now, but it's annoying time consuming...
  4. T

LB4M VLAN setup?

I'm wanting to set up a couple VLANS and the info on the net is confusing. Every manufacturer seems to use the same set of words to mean different things. It looks like VLAN1 is the default. That makes sense. So I would want to make a new one for the traffic I want separated out. The main use...
  5. T

Docker vs LXC?

So, with all the traffic regarding Docker around here, I looked into it some more. It seems like an interesting idea, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's different compared to LXC/Containers, BSD Jails, etc... Is the popularity due to the ready-made "appliances"? Easier to...
  6. T

WTB: Supermicro rack rails

I picked up a 42U rack and would like to install my server on it. It's a SC846. I did some research and I seem to have the newer/thinner rail mounts. So I want MCP-290-00053-0N. I found a few used ones on ebay, but I can get new sets for about the same price. Pfftt. I thought I would check...
  7. T

Matched pair X5675s

MATCHED PAIR Intel® Xeon® X5675(12M Cache, 3.06 GHz, 6.40 GT/s Intel® QPI) SLBYL 675901057790 | eBay Not quite as good as the last one, but they have 8 remaining. I offered $100, they countered $110, $3 shipping. I got them in yesterday and they work great. Decent upgrade for older platforms.
  8. T

VPN Suggestions?

I've been interested in doing this for a while, but the recent activity rolling back the little privacy protections we got from the previous FCC has me more interested. I'd like to VPN my traffic so the ISP can't mess with it and/or data-mine it. Home ISP is Comcast, which is already annoying me...
  9. T

WTB: LGA1366 CPUs

Just thought I'd see is someone might have a pair of X5690, X5680, X5675 sitting around. :) I'd just like to have a little more grunt available on the server if I can get a good deal.
  10. T

Proxmox downsides?

I'm considering converting from FreeNAS to Proxmox for my home server. I'd like it to act more like a home lab AIO and FreeNAS just doesn't go there. I'm just wondering if anyone has any issues with it that bug them before I go there. My current uses are mostly as a filer, but with a few...
  11. T

More durable fiber?

So, I tried out adding a 10G connection between my server and main workstation. It worked great, for a bit. :) I expected the fiber would eventually die, as it was run under the carpet and would get walked on. It died in a few days though. I hoped for a bit longer, to say the least. I read...
  12. T

Printed adapter to put a 2.5" drive in a Supermicro 3.5" sled

This design is not mine, but I might remix it... Hot swap drive adapter for Supermicro servers by apexio Note that the newer version has a plastic upright near the connector that prevents the drive from seating properly in my SC846. That might not be the case for all backplanes/chassis...
  13. T

NICs on a Intel S5520HC not working...

I recently picked up a setup with this board, CPUs and RAM. So far, it checks out nicely, but I get no response from the onboard Intel NICs. The BIOS doesn't see the MAC addresses, and Intel's EFI sysinfo utility doesn't list them. Nor does a Live Ubuntu USB looking in dmesg and lspci. The LEDs...
  14. T

[Solved] WTB 2x Active coolers for LGA1366

I was looking at some BXSTS100C from Amazon. But thought some of you might have something suitable in your junk box. [emoji1]
  15. T

Planning for an upgrade, looking for opinions.

Current setup: Hardware: ASUS M4N82 Deluxe AMD Phenom II X3 720 8GB ECC RAM 2x Supermicro SAS controllers - LSI1068 based 2x 6-disk raidz2 arrays (striped together) split evenly between the controllers using SAS->SATA breakout cables 1 2-disk mirror pool for the root/boot drives Intel 1gbit...