Search results

1. P

SATA DOM on X10SLM+-F where is the power?

Hi, I'm trying to run Proxmox of an ELUTENG USB3 to mSATA adapter with an InnoDisk 3ME2 64GB mSATA drive. Without 24 hours of installation I get disk corruption problems, I tried with XFS and EXT4, same problem. After corruption I can re-install, and the disk tests fine, and SMART reports the...
  2. P

Server to server cable and NIC for low cost max speed

Hi, I have about 50TB of data to copy between two linux servers, stacked next to each other. Over 1gbps it will take about 60 days. What are my options for cheap 10gbps or faster speeds with crossover cables and dedicated NICs?
  3. P

Unraid alternatives with ZFS and VM and Docker and Native storage access

Hi, I know asking for Unraid alternatives is an open ended question, but I'm interested in opinions. Over the years I've switched from hardware RAID, and Hyper-V and VM's, to Docker in an Ubuntu VM on Hyper-V, to IT mode HBA's and Unraid. Now I'm getting frustrated with poor SMB performance...
  4. P

BPN-SAS3-846EL SAS3 backplane firmware update problem

Hi, I am upgrading my SAS2 backplanes in SC846 chassis to SAS3. I bought 2 refurbished BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplanes on ebay. I asked supermicro support for the latest firmware. They asked for serial numbers and hardware versions, and provided me with the latest firmware. I followed the...
  5. P

Cooling for server rack in garage

I live in 90266, and it only gets really hot a month or so every year, but when it does, my server rack that in my garage takes a beating. Right now I'm getting warnings from the environment monitor, my server chassis, and my RAID chassis, not good for the disks in my large RAID6 array. So much...
  6. P

Storage upgrade strategy

Hi, I am looking for some advice on expanding storage in my W2K16 server. I have a Supermicro SC846 (SATA2 drives SAS2 backplane) with an Adaptec 81605ZQ, populated with 16 x 4TB drives in RAID6 for media, 2 x 4TB drives as spares, 4 x SSD's in RAID5 for VM images, and 2 x SSD drives shared...
  7. P

Fluke AirCheck software downloads

I bought a Fluke Networks ACK-LRAT2000 Network Tech Troubleshooting Kit about a year ago. I've used the wire test kits often, and this weekend was the first time I wanted to use the AirCheck WiFi tester. I can download updates for the LinkRunner AT, but when I try to download updates for the...
  8. P

Racking my servers

I'd like to share my home server racking experience: Rack that server | Pieter Viljoen's Blog P.
  9. P

Private IP range for subdomain of real domain

Hi, I am reconfiguring my home network, and one thing that always bothered me was my domain name setup using just foo or foo.local. I am considering the following; I have a publicly registered domain, with a public DNS server, let's call it foo.net. I have a paid class 2 validation with...
  10. P

Jumbo frames in team NIC's

Hi, I want to enable jumbo frames for my Hyper-V VM's and live migration NIC's. In google I found articles stating to only needing to enable jumbo frames in the VM NIC, and other articles stating to only do it on the actual host team member NIC's. Which is it? Physical team member NIC's...
  11. P

BSOD when pulling disk from redundant array

Hi. I'm busy testing a new system before I put it into production. Specs: Windows Server 2012 R2. Supermicro SC846BE16-R920B Chassis (SAS2 24 Drive bays) Supermicro X10SLM+-F motherboard, 32GB RAM Adaptec ASR81605ZQ SAS3 RAID controller, connected to chassis SAS2 backplane 2 x Intel SSDSC2CW24...
  12. P

Trunking between two HP ProCurve 1810G-24 v2 switches

Hi, I want to setup a 2 port trunk connection between two of my HP ProCurve 1810G-24 v2 switches. I am running software PL 1.9 on both switches. I configure a trunk on port 1 and 2, and I connect port 1 and 2 of the two switches together. As soon as I connect both ports, my network dies, I...
  13. P

TrendNet TPE-1020WS switch SNMP timeout if behind other switch

Hi, I have two HP ProCurve 1810G-24-v2 switches, and two TrendNet TPE-1020WS POE+ switches in my network. If I connect my PC directly to a TPE-1020WS, I can get SNMP info from the switch. If I connect from a PC behind a 1810G switch, SNMP times out. This makes no sense to me as other devices...
  14. P

Supermicro X10 incompatible with Adaptec 7805Q

Glad to see the site up again :) While waiting the site to come up I posted here, not much help, hope somebody here can be of more help: Supermicro X10SLM+-F and Adaptec 7805Q fail - [H]ard|Forum The problem is as follows: Using Supermicro X10SLM+-F and Adaptec 7805Q. On cold boot, the Adaptec...
  15. P

Booting ESX from RAID, how to manage RAID

Hi, I'm considering moving from Hyper-V to ESX, a few questions. - What is the recommended storage configuration to host ESX? Do I use a single SSD drive and install ESX on the SSD, possibly wasting the unused space? Do I create a just large enough LUN on RAID for ESX and boot from the LUN...
  16. P

Considering migration from Hyper-V to vCenter

Just want some thoughts here? Been a long time Hyper-V user in my home lab. Considering switching to vCenter, cost is not really an issue, home lab, but for work purposes, and using corporate licensing for MSFT and VMWare. Primary motivator is central management in vCenter, vs. RDP to...
  17. P

Low noise 1U chassis

Hi, I'm looking for a low noise high efficiency 1U chassis, preferably a SuperMicro model. I will be using it to host a Hyper-V server, running a couple of VM's. I will be using 2.5" SSD drives, so I need at least two 2.5" drive bays, more is better. I will be using a SM X10SLM+-F...
  18. P

LSI drive spindown

I have a Windows 7 workstation, using a LSI 9280-4i4e card, with a 4 drive RAID5 volume. MegaRAID controller policy is set to idle drives after 30 minutes. The OS power policy is set to spin the drives down after 30 minutes. This works fine, drives spin down when not in use. I built a new...
  19. P

Storage Spaces vs. RAID

May be of interest to the community: http://blog.insanegenius.com/2012/09/22/storage-spaces-leaves-me-empty/
  20. P

Norco DS-24E locate drive nor working

Hi, I just installed a Norco DS-24E with a LSI SAS 9286CV-8e. A couple things: 1) The bay drive numbers are all over the place. I'll open the case and see if I can swap the plug order to the bays semi-ordered. 2) The LSI MSM app shows the enclosure environment monitor items, but...