Search results

1. P

SATA DOM on X10SLM+-F where is the power?

I checked power on the JSD1 pins, they are powered, so it is as the picture suggests to power the DOM. Too much hassle to get more parts, I just installed a regular SSD instead, I had the parts on hand.
  2. P

Here is the text: "To provide adequate power to SATA devices, please connect the SATA DOM PWR connector (JSD1) to the power supply." Maybe they meant the supply of power to the SATA DOM? Maybe somebody with one of these boards can confirm? I found more posts here about these DOM style DELL and...
  3. P

Hi, I'm trying to run Proxmox of an ELUTENG USB3 to mSATA adapter with an InnoDisk 3ME2 64GB mSATA drive. Without 24 hours of installation I get disk corruption problems, I tried with XFS and EXT4, same problem. After corruption I can re-install, and the disk tests fine, and SMART reports the...
  4. P

Server to server cable and NIC for low cost max speed

I ordered used Mellanox MCX354A-FCBT and Mellanox MC2207130-002 cards and cables of ebay. One of the servers I'm moving data from is Unraid, and I read that Unraid does not support infiniband, so I need to run the cards in ethernet mode. See: Mellanox ConnectX-3 support I've never ran any...
  5. P

Yep, my bad typing 6 days, not 60 days. So by the time I'm done ordering and isntalling it is probably over, but next time I can do it in a day ;)
  6. P

Thanks for the info. I won't get more than ~240MBps out of the drives, so 10G would be fine, but if $ for 10G is close to $ for 40G I'll obviously go for 40G. Any specific models I should look for, used on eBay, or off-brand new like 10gtek?
  7. P

Hi, I have about 50TB of data to copy between two linux servers, stacked next to each other. Over 1gbps it will take about 60 days. What are my options for cheap 10gbps or faster speeds with crossover cables and dedicated NICs?
  8. P

Unraid alternatives with ZFS and VM and Docker and Native storage access

Thanks, that setup has many moving parts, and I still don't quite get the Proxmox with HBA passthrough to Ubuntu running Docker and ZFS? I assume it is to get ZFS to Docker, instead of storage backed mount points in proxmox or 9p virtio in KVM? If Proxmox or FreeNAS just natively ran Docker...
  9. P

Unraid alternatives with ZFS and VM and Docker and Native storage access

Hi, I know asking for Unraid alternatives is an open ended question, but I'm interested in opinions. Over the years I've switched from hardware RAID, and Hyper-V and VM's, to Docker in an Ubuntu VM on Hyper-V, to IT mode HBA's and Unraid. Now I'm getting frustrated with poor SMB performance...
  10. P

BPN-SAS3-846EL SAS3 backplane firmware update problem

FYI, Supermicro support says no way for a user to set the SAS address, send the backplane for service, or let support remotely change it. Details here: Recovering the Firmware on a Supermicro BPN-SAS3-846EL1 Backplane
  11. P

Based on FingerBlaster's post on HardForum, I tried to verify the pin layout on my own board, but I could not quite determine the correct pin assignment. It looked like the high pins were at around 1.8V (I expected 3.3V, 5V, or 12V), and my oscilloscope was not of much use, seeing no activity...
  12. P

I tried with only one sas cable, same result as with two cables in multi path. The Ubuntu server on a stick is a full install with SSH server so I can SSH remotely to any box it boots from. The expanders are refurbished, very old date codes, I wanted to start the swap at a good place...
  13. P

Hi, I am upgrading my SAS2 backplanes in SC846 chassis to SAS3. I bought 2 refurbished BPN-SAS3-846EL1 backplanes on ebay. I asked supermicro support for the latest firmware. They asked for serial numbers and hardware versions, and provided me with the latest firmware. I followed the...
  14. P

LSI 9300 8i not detecting samsung EVO 850

Same setup works with Adaptec controller, switch to LSI, none of the SSD's are detected, even swapping drive bays. Switch 840 EVO for 860 Pro and LSI sees it.
  15. P

LSI 9300 8i not detecting samsung EVO 850

Did you find a solution to this? I am trying to install a LSI 9340 in 9300 IT mode, and it does not detect my EVO 840 drives.
  16. P

Cooling for server rack in garage

I wish I had planned the layout better when we built, but there is no space left around the rack, I can add something on top, and I have about 9" of space on the right of the rack.
  17. P

I understand it may be more efficient, but consider how much cooling will be required to cool down the entire garage, vs. just cool air going into the server rack. The efficiency is way offset by the sheer volume of air in the entire garage that needs cooling, including two hot car engines when...
  18. P

I found various cheap peltier coolers / chillers on eBay, I'm thinking I can mount a couple in some kind of small box or square conduit, place it on top of the rack, then run some flexible venting and blow cold air into the front bottom of the rack.
  19. P

Thank you, but I was looking for something a little less invasive :)
  20. P

I live in 90266, and it only gets really hot a month or so every year, but when it does, my server rack that in my garage takes a beating. Right now I'm getting warnings from the environment monitor, my server chassis, and my RAID chassis, not good for the disks in my large RAID6 array. So much...