Search results

1. unwind-protect

Tempting storage rack :-)

480 3.5" SAS slots. https://www.ebay.com/itm/116025568597 Shipping weight 3500 lb. Am I wrong in wanting this?
  2. unwind-protect

Micron's "Power loss protection for data-at-rest"?

Power loss protection for data-at-rest... what exact do they do there? I have an Intel DC drive that has a SMART attribute counting the PLP capacitor tests. I have a Micron 1100 drive here which claims to have it this Micron thing and SMART has no such attribute. Is that anything useful at all?
  3. unwind-protect

HGST 0T01343 3.82 TB U.2 drives any good?

There is an ebay seller which is dumping them with no reserve and they sell around $100 for 3.82 TB. I am tempted but I don't know much about these drives. I would want 4 of them to serve PXE/NFS in a mirrored, striped ZFS: https://www.ebay.com/itm/404244423515 (no affiliation) (yes I know...
  4. unwind-protect

Njetworking with X540/X10DRI-T4+, no carrier without switch

I'm trying to set up networking between two X540 units, one is a Supermicro X10DRI-T4+, the other sits in a Z390 Asus Prime board, using a direct ethernet (cat8, 15 feet) cable. I just can't get a carrier under Linux and FreeBSD, even when setting speed and duplex by hand on both sides to 1 GbE...
  5. unwind-protect

"Dual-use mini SAS HD" == U.2?

Not quite getting the U.2 thing, still. If you have a mainboard with "Eight (8) SATA 3.0 ports or 2x NVMe dual use interface (Mini-SAS HD)" such as the SM H11SSL, is that two U.2 connectors?
  6. unwind-protect

AM5 and DDR5 ECC UDIMMs?

Since we have the other two threads about the UDIMMs and Alder Lake already: Any indication whether the DDR5 ECC UDIMMs actually work in current AM5 mainboards? The 7950X3D coming out tomorrow looks like a good choice, especially from a power standpoint. Just whether the mainboard makers...
  7. unwind-protect

Ethernet controlled power strips in 2022?

Are there any recommendable power strips with ethernet control (preferably ssh) available anymore? I can't seem to find anything but single-outlet wifi gizmos. I am so desperate I would even re-buy my Ubiquiti mPower-Pro, although they are not very reliable.
  8. unwind-protect

SAS cage and AHCI unwilling

I have this Silverstone SAS cage. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01C5TG82C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It seems to work on a random non-JBOD SAS controller, but when using with AHCI SATA controllers it won't. I tried Intel onboard SATA from x58 and I tried an AHCI PCIe...
  9. unwind-protect

WTB: what happened to all those 48-core quad-socket g34 systems?

I am browsing Ebay for some time to snipe a 48 core quad g34 system. There should be a lot of those left over from the early bitcoin and folding at home hypes, no? So far I have been disappointed. Anyone got one for sale? Or want to trade for something more modern? I'd pay significantly more...
  10. unwind-protect

Electronics for a battery->USB (aka external USB battery)

I can't find a USB brick I really like. The biggest problem is that all units I tried (~7) have the same problem. Depending on how own-charge or to-be-charged power goes away they stop charging the USB device at some point. They have a "power button" that you have to press to get them back to...
  11. unwind-protect

Redundant power supply - made from regular ones?

This has never been quite clear to me: Why can't I buy an electric controller unit that makes a redundant PSU out of two regular ATX PSUs? I tried settling for dual units in ATX casing but I'm not comfortable with the noise potential and the fact that I will have difficulty finding replacement...
  12. unwind-protect

What would you do? Stay 1366 or go 2011/ddr3?

Given the following set of hardware, would you resume going to lga2011/ddr3 or stick with 1366 until moving to DDR4? lga1366 gear: - two SMP combos, one slightly damaged (some RAM slots not working) - several single-processor combos (nagging me due to low RAM but nice for random things)...
  13. unwind-protect

Separating heavy CPU usage from storage?

I'm a firm believer in keeping computers that hold lots of important storage corruption-free. ECC only, try hard to use server-class mainboards, best PSU you can get etc. etc. Now, re-organizing my network I realize that I do a lot more video processing now, involving encoding. Wish I didn't...
  14. unwind-protect

Long-winded storage overthinking thread (chassis, mostly)

What would you do? Can't make up my mind. I need to add storage and the physical location question - what kind of enclosure - is killing me. Traditionally, my storage comes in three tiers: My main workstation has a 5-disk SATA frame for data the workstation works on. This functions very well...
  15. unwind-protect

What the devil is it with the PCIe slot shields?

All three are PCIe cards. The middle one has a shield that is going the wrong way. Is that for a riser card situation in a rackmount? Any hope I can get a regular shield? This is a supermicro SAS controller. Thanks so much Click for 4000x3000 Click for 4000x3000