Search results

1. J

Taking the plunge with Google Project Fi - My Experiences from a 15+ year AT&T Customer

I don't know if this has been mentioned; Project Fi will provide 'free' data-only SIMs to an existing customer from which data used by the device (with that SIM) is out of the same bucket as your phone... I use it in an older Samsung Galaxy S4 (GPE) when I'm out exercising and don't want to lug...
  2. J

Supermicro 4U 24 bay 846 chassis SAS2 with rails/motherboard - $300

Since you micro-necro'd this thread for further Unraid input; I'll toss mine in as well... The Single spinning disk centric performance of Unraid (regardless of the number of drives in an Unraid array) is rather pathetic specifically compared with a traditional RAID (stripped) array. For those...
  3. J

Oculus Rift + Touch $399

It came back to life last night around 11pm CDT, however reportedly quickly went out of stock/dead again (within 30 minutes?). Evidently the $100 giftcard on top of the 'limited time $399 sale price' was an Amazon 'Deal of the Day'. By the by, I got in on it at 11:27pm :)
  4. J

SAMSUNG PM853T 960GB - $159.99

fyi...the seller hasn't responded in over the past 24 hrs to either a PM here, or upon purchasing from their ebay auction (neither an acknowledgement or ship notice).
  5. J

WTB - old IBM Keyboards; Model F (XT/AT) or Model M (PS2)

@mumford Thanks! Yeah, I had been aware of Ellipse's 'new f keyboard' project for a few weeks and was initially stupified by the ~$380 price... However the idea had started to warm on me. To the point I went and filled out his order form but was ultimately undecided on what model I most...
  6. J

WTB - old IBM Keyboards; Model F (XT/AT) or Model M (PS2)

Good day all, I'm in the US (midwest) and on the hunt for a serviceable IBM keyboard... The 'clicky' kind. I'm open to any of the Model F's (from the XT and AT era) and Model M's (from the PS/2 era). I'm not particular on the cable interface, so I can work with any type. If you have one that...
  7. J

Dual E5-2670 build w/ 16 DIMMs - what motherboard these days?

The Intel s2600CP certainly has IPMI, but needs the AXXRMM4LITE hardware key (a teeny/tiny little board that plugs into a specific socket on the mobo) to unlock iKVM functionality and remote media mounting (USB key/iso). Without the AXXRMM4LITE, you can still do the typical remote IPMI stuff to...
  8. J

My S2600CP2J Workstation and Sleep problem

It's because the BMC emulates a keyboard/mouse to support the iKVM capabilities (only unlocked with the AXXRM4LITE key). Meaning, you can open to the BMC's web console and spawn a java application to emulate a a keyboard/video/mouse to that server. Using that, you can remotely do anything with...
  9. J

New server build: 2x E5-2670 project - Advice for first timer

...of course they are (speaking of the AUPSRCBTPL heatsinks with the proper Air duct). Intel engineered the P4000M chassis with those heatsinks and air duct for the s2600cp board and xeon e5-2670's....
  10. J

Intel s2600cp Dual Xeon 2670 3D / VFX Rendering Node

...I"m using the currently available BIOS (2.06.0002). I boot from 1 SSD (Win10 pro), and then I have 12 2.5" SAS drives (connected to a 24 port SAS expander, whcih daisy chains from an 8 port SAS RAID card). So on a clean boot, it takes ~40 seconds just to spin up the drives and init the...
  11. J

Intel s2600cp Dual Xeon 2670 3D / VFX Rendering Node

I've now been playing around with this on a new s2600cp2j build this past week (a game box using a P4000 chassis, single e5-2670,32GB RAM and GTX 1080 with Win10pro ). It consistently takes ~4 seconds to power down to sleep, and ~40 seconds to 2 minutes to awaken.
  12. J

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

@pc-tecky Just to shed some light on the point of the Fan PWM Offset and it's effect on fan speed: Baseline settings with zero Fan PWM Offset: Set Throttling Mode = Auto Altitidue = 301m-900m Set Fan Profile = Performance Fan PWM Offset = 0 Quite Fan Idle Mode = Disabled george@ubuntuvm1:~$...
  13. J

@pc-tecky Glad you got it working and didn't need to resort to the anechoic chamber :) To answer the question on how to access the SEL (system error log), that's available via the (built in) BMC Web console or via IPMI. Either way, you need to adjust the Bios -> System Management -> BMC, and...
  14. J

@pc-tecky You hadn't disclosed what chase you were using; are you actually using 4216XXMHGR or raising a question as to why your chassis is being detected as one? If so, what fan headers do you have FAN1 and FAN2 plugged into? If it's correctly detecting the chassis as 4216XXMHGR, then I...
  15. J

Question about Natex boards (Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard)

As these are server boards, my use cases (VMs) do not involve 'sleep', so that was never a focus and I frankly hadn't tried. However I have 4 Renesas based USB 3.0 cards (from a couple of different manufacturers) that work without issue that I'm passing through to VM's (I did provide...
  16. J

Question about Natex boards (Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard)

Conversely, I have 4 of them (s2600cp2's) from natex; all of which are operating without issue. When you were troubleshooting, had the Intel Hardware Confidence Tests passed? @pc-tecky, had you run through the FRU/SDR update tool to configure the BMC sensors to your specific case (which you...
  17. J

Labor Day Specials on Servers, Motherboard bundles, Memory, Networking and more

Good day Pam, Any chance on including a S2600CP2J coupon (non-bundle; without CPU's and RAM)? Perhaps free domestic shipping, that would be nice :) Regards, Jake
  18. J

...as the BMC controls the speed of the fans, you typically can't adjust them through the OS. If you need to speed them up, you can either adjust the PWM offset in the bios, or more drastically, hack the SDR (sensor data record) file (then run through the FRU/SDR update procedure).
  19. J

HGST HUSML4040ASS600 - 400GB SAS - $160

...my two drives just arrived: #1: === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION === SMART Health Status: OK SS Media used endurance indicator: 0% Current Drive Temperature: 27 C Drive Trip Temperature: 85 C Manufactured in week 44 of year 2013 Specified cycle count over device lifetime...
  20. J

HGST HUSML4040ASS600 - 400GB SAS - $160

Hmm, looks like this seller accepted (very promptly, like within 2 minutes) an offer of $100 per for two...