Search results

1. perdrix

One or more LOGICAL devices contain a bad stripe. ASR8885

After rebuilding my Raid 5 array after the apparently sequential failure two drives (managed to rebuild after the first failure) but then another drive handed in its cards :(. Now all PHYSICAL drives showed as "Optimal" as was the logical drive, BUT there was a warning that "One or more logical...
  2. perdrix

maxView Storage Manager warning shown for logical device

I had a bad block problem on one of the drives in my array, and the controller recovered the problem. The logical drive is now rebuilt and shows as optimal. However maxView Storage Manager is still showing a warning against the logical device: and when I look at the event log I see an old...
  3. perdrix

Proper tape backup software with file level restore

I've been looking at the current crop of backup software and I am struggling to find what I want. It shouldn't be hard as this used to be available back in the day when I was working in IT. I want to be able to backup both Windows and Linux systems (for bonus points I'd like to backup an HP-UX...
  4. perdrix

Backup software that supports backup to tape

Looking for good backup software that allows backup to multiple tapes (IOW backup size > single tape size). Disk backup also useful. Support for Linux and Mac as well as Windows would be excellent. Restore individual files from tape without needing to restore the entire backup to a staging...
  5. perdrix

WTB: Pentium M765

Anyone (ideally in UK) have a Pentium M765 available - it's to upgrade an embedded socket 478 Motherboard (BCM MX855) that currently has a 1.3GHz Celeron. If you also have a 1 GB PC3200 stick (or PC2700) that would be a bonus! TiA David
  6. perdrix

USB3 to 5Gbe adapters

AFAICT there are three four contenders in this space: Sabrent NT-SS5G, Sonnet SON-SOLO-5G-USB3, Startech US5GA30, and QNAP QNA-UC5G1T Does anyone have experience of the pros and cons of these? Thanks David
  7. perdrix

Low cost 16 port 10GBase-T switch

I could go for a Quanta LB6M and get 24 ports but AFAIK they're huge (1U 19" rack and deep), noisy and power hungry. My current switch is a Netgear GS116 which is great for 1GBase-T. PoE a bonus, managed even better. I don't need 24 ports, 16 would be fine ... What are current...
  8. perdrix

Adaptec ASR-8885 Raid 5 degraded after disks power cycled by controller

I've got a RAID 5 behind an Adaptec ASR-8885. Yesterday I set the card up to power the drives down after 20 minutes of inactivity. Nov 16 16:13:59 charon [1109]: [12120] Task priorty changed from Low to High: controller 1 ( Adaptec ASR8885 #4D39138FB5F Physical Slot: 16 ), logical device 0...
  9. perdrix

FS: Adaptec ASR-51245 Raid card with all the bits (in the UK)

I've got an Adaptec ASR-51245 Raid card with ABM-800T battery backup module with good battery and two Supermicro SFF-8087 <-> 4 SATA cables 100% working. I took it out of service yesterday. £45 plus P&P David
  10. perdrix

Wanted: Startech PS22USB converter (UK)

Anyone have one of these active PS2 to USB converters available? Or maybe a Tripp Lite 0DT60002 Thanks David
  11. perdrix

Cooling fan for Adaptec ASR-8885 RAID card

Just got this and noticed there's a silk-screened warning on the board that says it requires 200 litres per minute airflow. Not wishing to get it all hot and bothered, what would be a suitable fan to fit the heatsink, a suitable fan/heatsink combo to replace the existing heatsink, or some other...
  12. perdrix

Adaptec raid problem

Cross posted from Ubuntu forums: Came to look at the system this morning and it was sick: I'd left a journalctl window open and was seeing lots of errors reports against /dev/sda1 which is a hardware raid behind an Adaptec ASR-51245. After rebooting I went back in the journal to find this in...
  13. perdrix

Using a SAS tape drive on the external ports of a RAID adapter

I've heard suggestions that this is a "no-no". Is this because of performance issues - if so I don't have any problem as this is a very lightly used RAID array. I just want to attach a SAS tape drive to do backups of the array, and don't really want to add a extra SAS HBA just for the tape...
  14. perdrix

Adaptec ASR8885 full height bracket?

Does anyone have a full height bracket that fits this card? David
  15. perdrix

Adaptec ASR51245 Raid "Bad Block Discovered"

Came back after a weekend power down to find the RAID card shouting at me, and one of the drives marked as rebuilding (once I got into Storage Manager). On completion of the rebuild, it is now running a verify and I've receive a number of bad block messages along the lines of: "Bad Block...
  16. perdrix

WTB: 2.5" or MSATA 2TB or 4TB SSD in the UK

Looking to replace undersized storage on my M6800 lappie - currently 512GB SS plus 750GB hybrid Looking to move to one 4TB enterprise grade (ideally) SSD in either 2.5" or mSATA format. I'd also look at 2 * 2TB but prefer 1 * 4TB. Good "non-enterprise" SSDs considered. If the price is...
  17. perdrix

Backup recommendations?

I'm looking for a single backup solution for all my computers. Currently I'm using Macrium Reflect Free to take FULL images of the six Windows machines (one is dual boot XP/W10) , backup is to Ubuntu Linux server running Samba with a 22TB RAID5 shared drive. I also take images to tape (LTO-4)...
  18. perdrix

IBM3580 H6S (TS2260) LTO-6 with USB3?

I see that it's possible to order these with a USB3 interface as well as SAS: TS2260 with USB-3 Electronic Interface An order for the IBM TS2260 (3580 Model H6S) with the USB-3 electronic interface must include the following feature numbers: Feature Description -------...
  19. perdrix

USB3 SAS HBA?

Anyone know of a USB3 SAS HBA? Thanks, D.
  20. perdrix

M5016 and other MegaRaid controllers and tape drives

I found a rather bothersome note on Tandbergs web site that says: Tape products do not work with any HBA that RAID is enabled, therefore RAID must be disabled before the HBA can be used with any tape product. LSI MegaRAID-Series adapters should not be used with streaming devices like tape...