Search results

1. perdrix

maxView Storage Manager warning shown for logical device

Thank you. I've started a new thread with a follow up.
  2. perdrix

One or more LOGICAL devices contain a bad stripe. ASR8885

After rebuilding my Raid 5 array after the apparently sequential failure two drives (managed to rebuild after the first failure) but then another drive handed in its cards :(. Now all PHYSICAL drives showed as "Optimal" as was the logical drive, BUT there was a warning that "One or more logical...
  3. perdrix

maxView Storage Manager warning shown for logical device

I had a bad block problem on one of the drives in my array, and the controller recovered the problem. The logical drive is now rebuilt and shows as optimal. However maxView Storage Manager is still showing a warning against the logical device: and when I look at the event log I see an old...
  4. perdrix

Proper tape backup software with file level restore

Unfortunately "Bare Metal Restore" of Windows systems isn't part of the Bareos offering. Some have tried to do it using WinPE CDs, but with mixed success. If I have a need to do that sort of restore, I need it to "Just Work"(tm). Amanda is great for Linux only sites but not a great option for me.
  5. perdrix

I'll take a look at that, thank you to both of you
  6. perdrix

OK not dagger cheap but about £150 a year for up to five systems is within reasonable limits. Are there any good freeware options?
  7. perdrix

I've been looking at the current crop of backup software and I am struggling to find what I want. It shouldn't be hard as this used to be available back in the day when I was working in IT. I want to be able to backup both Windows and Linux systems (for bonus points I'd like to backup an HP-UX...
  8. perdrix

Backup software that supports backup to tape

Looking for good backup software that allows backup to multiple tapes (IOW backup size > single tape size). Disk backup also useful. Support for Linux and Mac as well as Windows would be excellent. Restore individual files from tape without needing to restore the entire backup to a staging...
  9. perdrix

WTB: Pentium M765

Drats! Just my luck - any other recommendations for the socket 478?
  10. perdrix

WTB: Pentium M765

Anyone (ideally in UK) have a Pentium M765 available - it's to upgrade an embedded socket 478 Motherboard (BCM MX855) that currently has a 1.3GHz Celeron. If you also have a 1 GB PC3200 stick (or PC2700) that would be a bonus! TiA David
  11. perdrix

[WTB US] failed HP Z800 workstation power supply psu

I have one - I'm in the UK PS I already did a bulk re-cap - that wasn't the problem in this case. David
  12. perdrix

USB3 to 5Gbe adapters

Thanks for the pointer - reading it now! Adding the Sonnet adapter to the reviews would be great! D.
  13. perdrix

USB3 to 5Gbe adapters

AFAICT there are three four contenders in this space: Sabrent NT-SS5G, Sonnet SON-SOLO-5G-USB3, Startech US5GA30, and QNAP QNA-UC5G1T Does anyone have experience of the pros and cons of these? Thanks David
  14. perdrix

Suitable SAS Raid card for HP Z800

Yes that RAID 1 array is attached to the IBM 5016 No it's not a modified Z800 bios, but I did have disable a few things like network card bios and SATA raid support to get enough "Option ROM memory" to be able the complete POST with the built-in SAS and a SCSI card active as well. The RAID 1...
  15. perdrix

Suitable SAS Raid card for HP Z800

I ended up with an IBM 5016 that I re-flashed with the recovery images from LSI. That just works with W10.
  16. perdrix

Low cost 16 port 10GBase-T switch

I could go for a Quanta LB6M and get 24 ports but AFAIK they're huge (1U 19" rack and deep), noisy and power hungry. My current switch is a Netgear GS116 which is great for 1GBase-T. PoE a bonus, managed even better. I don't need 24 ports, 16 would be fine ... What are current...
  17. perdrix

Adaptec ASR-8885 Raid 5 degraded after disks power cycled by controller

The load/unload count on the device in question is 78927, one drive has 86499, several of the others are under 30 cycles.
  18. perdrix

1. Tedious but slow process to convert - can't add an extra drive as server is full 2. Strange I've heard precisely the opposite advice - is this one of those cases where different views hold? 3. Not before the test - the array was "Optimal"
  19. perdrix

I've got a RAID 5 behind an Adaptec ASR-8885. Yesterday I set the card up to power the drives down after 20 minutes of inactivity. Nov 16 16:13:59 charon [1109]: [12120] Task priorty changed from Low to High: controller 1 ( Adaptec ASR8885 #4D39138FB5F Physical Slot: 16 ), logical device 0...
  20. perdrix

FS: Adaptec ASR-51245 Raid card with all the bits (in the UK)

I've got an Adaptec ASR-51245 Raid card with ABM-800T battery backup module with good battery and two Supermicro SFF-8087 <-> 4 SATA cables 100% working. I took it out of service yesterday. £45 plus P&P David