Search results

1. T

Xeon D1541 as efficient homelab?

Hi all. Running my home server on Xeon E2698v3 right now. 16 cores, 32 threads. It consumes 100W at idle, but with 3060ti it can go way higher obviously. Was offered board with D1541 processor: half as many cores, able to support 128Gb of ram. Seems that's a good system to offload some...
  2. T

Enterprise Wireless with local management

Hi all. I'm pretty happy with Aruba APs at home, but wondering what enterprise (or SMB) APs are managed locally or have that ability? Or better say: what APs can be used at home without enterprise contracts ? Obviously, looking for roaming features .k .r, some extra features to play with, but...
  3. T

Aruba 535, Wifi 6, 4x4:4 AP

Hi all. Got Aruba 535 Access point for sale. Not using it enough and it's overkill for my apartment. Originally zoned for IL, but I switched region to US. It's able to join existing US cluster or be run as standalone, but you may not be able to add it to Aruba Central. I can always switch...
  4. T

ELI5 on LTO drives.

Hi all. I'm considering geting LTO drive for backups of my own stuff. Seems like a better idea, compared to big number of spinners. Are there any issues or know-hows I need to know prior to buying one? I assume it can read two get before and write 1 gen before, so LTO-5 drive can read/write...
  5. T

Aruba 303H access point for sale.

Got three AP, Aruba IAP 303H, set to US region. Can work in cluster, one becomes virtual controller. Able to work in Mesh as well. Every AP have three downlink ports for some devices that you want to place on network. That's not Aruba InstantON, but Instant, so have all the enterprise features...
  6. T

10G in small form factor

Looking to build new workstation and prefer it to be SFF. Everything is sorted out (kinda), except how to get 10Gbe network? I'm looking at ITX boards, but will consider mATX boards, since it's just a bit bigger. Obviously, that I'd prefer AMD Ryzen. There're only two x570 boards that have...
  7. T

Moving Sale [USA-Chicago]

Hi all. Moving to new apartment in a few weeks. Decided to post some stuff that currently not in use: SSDs: (3x) Samsung PM1725 3.2tb. PCIe x8 card. Super fast (6000MBps), can be used as boot drive. Have both kinds of brackets. $450/ea (1x) Intel 750 400Gb NVMe. U.2 drive, comes with Intel...
  8. T

USB card for passthrough.

Hi all. I'm running ESXi server at home and want to passthrough some USB devices. I remember there were some 4-port card that are seen as four different devices, so I can add USB devices to different machines. Can anyone point me in the right direction please? I already configured internal...
  9. T

Server/NAS/HTPC combo.

My build is finally up and running, can post little NAS/HTPC combo: -Sliger Cerberus -Xeon E5-2683v3 (14 Cores @ 2.0Ghz) -128Gb DDR4 2400 ECC REG. -Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-2T8R -Asus RTX 2070 Dual Mini OC. -Samsung PM1725 NVMe 3.2Tb -Seagate Nytro 3330 15.36Tb SAS SSD -Corsair SF450 Platinum...
  10. T

[FS][US-IL] PM1725 NVMe 3.2Tb, Intel 750 U.2 400Gb NVMe, Radeon WX2100 card, HD8490, LSI 9300-8i HBA..

Hi all. Finally downsized my rig and have few parts for sale: Samsung PM1725 3.2Tb NVMe drive - $500 Add-In card, PCIe 3.0 x8, 6000MBps Seq read speed. Perfect for VM storage. Intel 750 NVMe, 400Gb - $60. Comes with Intel M.2 to U.2 adapter. Radeon WX2100 - $60. Was used in workstation...
  11. T

ELI5: NVME Namespaces

Hi all In the process of building new little All-in-one server and wanted to utilized NVME Namespaces. It will be ESXi-based, but I'd like to keep Windows and Linux installed for troubleshooting just in case. I thought that with Namespaces I could've work around some limitations, for example...
  12. T

Nvidia passthrough in ESXI 6.5 or 6.7?

I need videocard for my new HTPC build and I need short one or I need to cut my case. It will be passed through to VM running on ESXi host. I got very good luck with Radeon cards in such configuration but heard lots of bad stories about Nvidia. Radeon doesn't make Short "ITX" cards now, last...
  13. T

Connecting single drive to SAS HD port

Previously I was running all the drives in cages and backplanes. Now I need to connect single SSD to existing SAS controller. SSD is "Dual port SAS3" and controller is LSI3008 with SAS Mini HD connector. SAS HD part is pretty obvious: SFF-8643 port. What do I need for other end? I have cables...
  14. T

Get Smart data for NVME drives in ESXi?

Does anyone know how to get smart info for NVME drive in ESXI? Picked up few drives and want to get TBW data from them. Tried smartctl vib, but no luck. Also have FusionIO drive, but it's so much easier to get all the data there with drivers and documentation.
  15. T

Home router upgrade

Getting my internet upgraded later this week. Currently using Mikrotik 951 G router, which was fine for 50mbps, but not sure if this gonna handle 500mbps now (upgradable to 1gbps, but unlikely). I'll be getting static IP, so ideally I'd like to have some sort of VPN server, but I can always do...
  16. T

Home Wireless mesh network

Hi. Does anyone have experience with home mesh network? Want to extend my network from one corner to another, wonder if those are any good? Biggest question: what speed and and reliability can I expect? Does it only work for small devices (printers/tv) or I can use on data storage as well...
  17. T

Lab for rent?

Hi all. I was reading one of the workstation topics recently, and realized that I'm not using my lab alot right now. It's pretty powerful, and takes some space in my tiny apartment. And I know that some of the people have huge labs at home, with some resources available. Did anyone though of...
  18. T

FS 6x8Gb DDR3 1600 sticks Samsung M393B1K70DH0

I got 6 sticks of DDR3 12800 1600Mhz ECC memory. Samsung M393B1K70DH0 $30/ea, located in Chicago.
  19. T

Videocard choice for workstation.

Hi all. I realized that my current card it too slow after I upgraded to 4k display. Need something more powerful, don't mind playing games as well. I'm using VM with Videocard passed-through and I always heard that Radeon's are better choice for that. Also some of them work with Mac OS X...
  20. T

WTB ASUS TS700 HDD cage/backplate

Hi all. Looking for HDD Cage for ASUS TS700 server. Mine came with one cage, and I cannot find another one. Let me know if you have something. I have a black blank cover, can forward it to you, if needed. Located in Chicago. Thanks, Victor