Search results

1. T

HEDT platform advice

It will work for arcade games, but for anything fast real work station is the way to go. I'd also split due to efficiency concernsm, but that's just me.
  2. T

HEDT platform advice

I would split main gaming system and the rest of em. I doubt mac os X will be fast with passthrough and etc, so I'd ignore performance aspect there. For me it will be: Xeon with lots of memory and PCIe slots for everything virtualized and personal gaming/workstation rig. I'm running...
  3. T

Need help with redesigning my home network

You must really like consumer-grade wifi routers. I'd go with mesh-like network, such as Omada, or Aruba IAP (my setup) and some switches. Most recent articles about 2.5gbe poe switches on this site are very helpful. You can do server and virtualized VM if you want (and have hardware to do so).
  4. T

From thought to hardware: How do you did it?

Living in apartment, so everything must be small/silent. Now moved to big house, but still following that idea. Have 10G network available for servers/etc, using fanless 10g/poe switches. I'd prefer to keep it silent and small, until I get my own house and place rack (or two there)
  5. T

Picking a board/cpu for a SMB file server

I keep mentioning: EPC612D4U-2T8R. mATX board with Xeon with integrated both: HBA/SAS and 10G NIC. Small form factor, plenty of slots for spare devices.
  6. T

Server "closet" in small apartment?

I was in your shoes. I'd recommend paying for more powerful server and passive (silent) poe switch. All the enterprise features in small package.
  7. T

Bought it

I would be able to help, have Apple Store nearby, but I'm flying skiing tomorrow.
  8. T

Thinking about future home server upgrade, storage question

I got exactly the system you're looking for. Sliger Cerberus case (20-21L), Asrock MATX mono (10G + SAS controller onboard): 3x PCIe slots. I'm running PM 1725 drives (pice x8), EVGA 3060ti XC (short 20cm card) and have one slot available. I believe it's a good idea to keep hypervisor and VM...
  9. T

Windows Server 2022 Datacenter Core (23H2 / Build 25398), AMD X570 and Ryzen 9 3900X with random lockups/freezes

Drive is subject to failure (unless you updated firmware) I got issues with my Risen 5900, that were fixed by disabling cores. Looks like I fried few cores doing OC. ^_^
  10. T

(FS-US-AZ) JP's custom high end servers!

Curious what you're working on. Sounds like fun
  11. T

Minisforum MS-01 PCIe Card and RAM Compatibility Thread

That's a good reason for me to wait a bit till someone confirms ESXi. What's the most prowerful model with P-cores only? 12500T, I think? I doubt minisforum will go 2 gen back.
  12. T

I assume I'll be able to select P vs E core in CPU affinity, if I decide to have some small VMs running on E-Cores to keep P-cores for other heavy workloads?
  13. T

I'm really tempted to get one. Currently running ESXi though, is there workaround for performance/efficient cores by any chance? I'd love to get my hands on same box with smaller CPU, such as 12500 for example (that doesn't have P/E cores).
  14. T

Hardware for virtualization (ESXi preferred) and GNS3

I got Asrock Rack EPC612D4U-2T8R board (C-612 chipset, for Xeon E5-v3/v4) in both servers (well, one is powered off) One server is with 16core v3 CPU (2698V3 I think) and 128Gb DD4-2133 (max suported for v3 anyway). SSD boot drive. Main storage is PM-1725 SSD. My main server also have SAS SSD in...
  15. T

You need to decide if you want 19" server or something small and compact? I prefer small/compact/efficient myself. It's on 100% of the time, and works silently in corner of my room. Small SFF PC like that elite mini looks good, but doesn't offer much horsepower or expandability. System that...
  16. T

Im running all kinds of network virtualization at home. Currently have C612 systems: one with e5v3 and other with e5v4 CPUs. 128 gigs ram each, 6.4tb ssd and integrated 10G NIC. Still under $1.9k. Both systems are regular boxes, aka very silent and efficient
  17. T

ESXi edge device: shutdown & power on

I would stick with simple linux box and some sort of button for turn off: Home assistant can connect to any wireless plug (tp-link kasa in my case) and can start action on that: Turn off all the VMs, and schedule hypervisor poweroff in 10 minutes. Alternatively you can track UPS power and...
  18. T

NMVE x4 + strong CPU board / server .

You need four M.2 drives or four lanes? If first - any mobo will do it, but I assume it's the second. If you need four Pcie4.0 M.2 then IDK what to do. If you're ok with four pcie3.0 (12000-16000mbps) then take pair PM1725 (pcie 3.0 x8). Lots of old motherboards can do two pcie x8 slots.
  19. T

Building my first homelab server! Help would be appreciated!

Proxmos is a hypervisor (ESXi is another one). Ubuntu is OS You can install Proxmox and run five VMs: Ubuntu, Ubuntu, Debian, Windows and etc. All together on same host. You can pass-through devices into virtual machines. For example, I'm running dozen operating systems and give access to USB...