Search results

1. Net-Runner

how can I use non-PLP SSD on S2D?

You can go with Starwinds VSAN with Storage Spaces underneath. VSAN will replicate data across nodes, while Storage Spaces can do local redundancy. I won't recommend you doing parity spaces, cause from my experience their performance is really low. Hope this will help: Build a 2-node Hyper-V...
  2. Net-Runner

Broadcom (LSI/Avago) HBA and RAID Controller Technical Discussion

Perfect thread. Thanks for all the information! It is really great to be able to dive deep into the background of things we are used to work with.
  3. Net-Runner

RAID0 vs RAID1 for boot volume on SATA-DOMs ?

Optane drives are really reliable these days. I can confirm. I am running consumer grade drives in my lab, which are still reliable, but datacenter drives are still more reliable.
  4. Net-Runner

Storage for a cluster of 3 Esxi hosts

For a lab you can take a look at vSAN alternatives. There are options, which have free versions. Ceph could be deployed on three nodes and provide storage to ESXi hosts. Ceph is open-source, so free of charge. Ceph storage on VMware | Ubuntu As an alternative, I have used Starwind VSAN for...
  5. Net-Runner

SR-IOV issue

Good luck with your project :) Not exactly the case, but I've had a chance to test SR-IOV on Supermicro X10DRH servers running Windows Server 2019. Everything worked as it should.
  6. Net-Runner

SR-IOV issue

That's weird. As an example, I've found the following guide where SR-IOV can be enabled in BIOS. https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1200/ROG_STRIX_Z490-H_GAMING/E16511_ROG_STRIX_Z490-H_GAMING_BIOS_manual_EM_WEB.pdf You can try looking at Supermicro mobos. e.g. the following one has an...
  7. Net-Runner

Cluster Mirrored Storage Software (VSAN alternative?)

As mentioned above, Starwinds VSAN as a storage backend for the hyperconverged cluster would be a nice solution. Since you do not have much money, you can go with free version, it will require some Powershell skills to manage it. You can actually do a storage/NVMe Passthrough to their Appliance...
  8. Net-Runner

SR-IOV issue

SR-IOV is not available on Windows 10, as far as I know. I have configure it successfully on Windows Server 2019 on Dell R640 servers with Mellanox CX5 NICs. I think the issue you are facing is related to the MoBo.
  9. Net-Runner

Tiered Storage Space writing to slow tier (Server2019)

I've had similar problem on NTFS and couldn't make it writing to hot tier. The only way it worked, when I reformatted the volume with ReFS.
  10. Net-Runner

vmware storage solution - Supermicro 2029UZ-TN20R25M 2U

Since you are using NVMe drives, you should try looking at NVMe over fabrics. VMware has added support of NVMf in vSphere 7.0. https://storagehub.vmware.com/t/vsphere-7-core-storage/nvmeof/ I have plans to test it, just looking for a suitable hardware. There are several target implementations...
  11. Net-Runner

server 2019 tierd storage vs unraid vs stablebit

Couple links: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x149--refs-file-system https://forums.veeam.com/veeam-agent-for-windows-f33/bsod-pnp-detected-fatal-error-t64833.html The last time I have faced BSOD with ReFS was in April or March, I am not using it...
  12. Net-Runner

LSI HW RAID w/possible onboard cache issue - Can Cachecade save me ?

LSI 9261 should support cachecade. https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12352140 However, it might require additional license key for you to activate this feature. According to the documentation, cachecade will cache reads only. Cachecade 2.0 will do both. https://docs.broadcom.com/doc/12351884
  13. Net-Runner

server 2019 tierd storage vs unraid vs stablebit

In addition, there are multiple BSOD issues with ReFS. I would avoid using it in production, it could create more issues than solve problems. ZFS with properly configured caching can be a great option to use.
  14. Net-Runner

ESXi 6.7 Update manager

Check out this video that covers the process almost entirely and hopefully will help you a bit Note that if you have only a single ESXi host, this approach will not work, since to upgrade your host vCenter will need to bring the host into a maintenance mode Closed for Maintenance: Things...
  15. Net-Runner

How to create datastore with ESXi 7.0 and SAS2008

I am managing a bunch of ESXi servers, and most of them have storage controllers that are out of the VMware HCL for 7.0. I have figured out three possible options on how to proceed with them. The first, expensive, and obvious one is a storage controller upgrade. The second one is just to stay...
  16. Net-Runner

vSphere 7.0 and 10Gbe

In the case when RDMA/RoCE is not mandatory and only bandwidth matters, you could potentially pass through the unsupported network adapter to an OpenWRT or pfSense virtual machine and route it back down to ESXi over regular VMxnet. That is how a WiFi adapter for a small ESXi host works in my...
  17. Net-Runner

Server 2012 R2 in the year 2020

I have a Windows Server 2012 R2 currently running in my home lab on top of a good old buddy WD Sentinel DX4000. It was Windows Storage Server 2008 originally, but I have managed to upgrade it a little bit. There is no way I can update this hardware further, and basically, that is the only reason...
  18. Net-Runner

What to do when Drive UniqueID is not unique?

Have you tried running diskpart and using the clean command to wipe the GPT/MBR records completely and then re-initialize the drive? That may lead to the generation of a new UniqueID.
  19. Net-Runner

Looking for a good SAN solution for VMware

Second this one. It is damn expensive, storage efficiency is questionable, performance is adequate, but only up to a certain level (is capped). The vSphere integration is impressive, though. And it is stable as hell if configured and managed properly. Unlike FreeNAS, I didn't have a chance to...
  20. Net-Runner

Server 2016 vs 2019 vs Win 10

Do not underestimate Jason's proposal and make sure you have the latest firmware and drivers you can get, especially if we are talking about running ESXi. Windows Server can tolerate a lot of weird hardware-related things being somewhat crappy by itself. ESXi will throw you a PSOD on every sneeze.