Search results

1. E

Issues with RES2SV240, guidance requested

Hi, I have an LSI HBA connected to an Intel RES2SV240 SAS expander which has been working beautifully for a number of years now. I’ve completed an update to my TrueNAS box today, and when powering it back on, only devices connected directly to the HBA are detected, and nothing is detected via...
  2. E

SuperMicro X9 IPMI custom fan curve

Hi, I know there is a lot of info out there about SuperMicro IPMI fan speed control and threshold adjustment, but it is somewhat beyond me. I am curious to know if it is possible to define custom fan curves and settings? My understanding of how IMPI handles thresholds and controls fans is...
  3. E

SuperMicro X9SRL-F IPMI fan speed assistance

Hi All, I've been doing a bit of reading on how to use impitool to adjust the fan thresholds on my motherboard, to prevent the spin up/down issue that some people have previously reported. The basic steps I took were as per Decrease Supermicro IPMI Fan Threshold This MB has 5 headers, FAN 1...
  4. E

Samsung SM953 firmware update/OP

Hi all, Just got a 480GB Samsung SM953 NVMe SSD, which I wanted to check the firmware version of, and configure over provisioning etc. Oddly, when I use either the consumer or datacenter versions of Samsung magician, it cannot find the drive. Has anyone else ever used one of these, and been...
  5. E

LSI 9207-8i turns out to be Dell OEM, not detected - support options?

Hi All, Purchased an LSI 9207-8i from eBay, brand new, listed as a plain old LSI card. Connected it to 4 different machines, none of which sees the card at all. The card does seem to be receiving power, as the heatsink is warm to the touch. I tried to contact LSI/Broadcom for support or...
  6. E

Cheap 2011 narrow ILM air cooler

Hi guys, Looking for suggestions on the cheapest 2011 narrow ILM cooler for a home server. I have been looking at the Noctua NH-I4 D9DX 3U, but it's £50. I was trying to see if there was something cheaper, but most vendors just advise 2011 compatibility and not specifically narrow ILM. Cheers Eds
  7. E

After some advice on first FreeNAS build to replace current setup

Hi All, I currently have a DIY, do-it-all, server built at home that acts as a domain controller, Hyper-V host and storage server (an absolute mess of roles, hence the need to sort out proper replacements now I have some money burning a hole in my pocket). This machine is housed in a 24 bay...
  8. E

Current suggestions for DIY JBOD enclosure power board?

Hi Guys, I have a 4U chassis with 24 bays for 3.5" drives currently, but it is short depth at only 550mm. With the hardware raid controller and SAS expander I have, the area for the mobo is pretty cramped, and I am thinking of offloading the compute part of the machine to a seperate chassis...
  9. E

Is there a hardware RAID card that can expand RAID 10

Hi, I just shelled out for a 24 bay chassis and Intel 24 port expander, to compliment my LSI 9260-8i, with the hope I could plug in some additional drives and expand a RAID 10 array. As it turns out, the LSI 9260 can only expand RAID 5 and 6. Is this just a limitation of the LSI card, or does...
  10. E

LSI 9260-8i MSM backplane drive locate compatibility

Hi guys, I recently picked up an Intel RES2SV240 and a Logic case SC-4324s (Basically a Norco 4224 I think) to replace my existing desktop chassis with for my home server. Everything works a treat. I have the LSI 9260-8i hooked up directly to one of the backplanes for direct connection to 4...
  11. E

After some suggestions for Chassis/Expander upgrade

Hi guys. I'm looking to increase my storage server capacity at home, which is on a Supermicro X9SRA motherboard, with an Intel E5-2618L v2, an LSI 9260-8i and 8 WD Red drives. The desktop case it is in, has another 4 drive bays, but with the 9260 only having two internal ports, I need either...
  12. E

Will and MSA60 enclosure work with LSI 9260-8i

Hi guys, I have a DL380 G5 at home, with a P212 controller connected to an MSA60 via it's external port and 8088 cable. Everything with that works fine. I'd like to replace the P212 with a 9260-8i I had in an old machine, as it a better controller. I have an SFF-8087 to SFF-8087 cable...