Search results

1. D

FS: IBM Rackswitch G8124

Yes, it is 24 sf+ ports 2 OOB management Ethernet ports and micro USB console port. My meter says it's about 85 watts idling with both power supplies plugged in. 105ish with the fans screaming away. And surprisingly the fans actually slowed down with just one power supply plugged in and it sat...
  2. D

FS: IBM Rackswitch G8124

I have an IBM RackSwitch G8124 back-to-front airflow. I'm moving and I've had some unforeseen expenses so I have to get rid some stuff. I haven't played around with it a whole lot but it works well and was pretty quiet with both power supplies plugged in. Just a couple of small scratches and the...
  3. D

Fundamental Networking question

Two NICs on same or even different subsets won't work the way you think it will. I can't tell you exactly how they will behave, but won't do what you're thinking. You have a few options: - Use just the 10Gb NIC and disable the others. - Use NIC teaming, if the Windows you are using supports it...
  4. D

Self-driving cars: July 2016 STH discussion

And then we'll have to send someone back in time to warn us not to mess with things beyond our control.
  5. D

Actually, heavily populated areas are where these types of cars would help the most. They won't block the box, they'll move right when the lights change (computers don't have asses to pick, or hands to pick it with even they did have an ass), they will be able to merge onto the highway with...
  6. D

We've had driverless cars a decade plus, haven't you seen all those people with cellphones glued to their heads and/or looking down in their lap texting? This will be a big improvement by actually having a driver in the car again and one who won't text or fall asleep at the wheel. All that...
  7. D

Gigabit switch recommendations

I have an IBM/BNT G8000 that I like. I think it's up there with the HPs and Ciscos, the cli is Cisco-like but can be changed to be less Cisco-like. It's been pretty quiet for me after I replaced a busted fan, but you do need both power supplies plugged in. I haven't looked recently but they...
  8. D

Likely going to start playing with fiber - what to look out for?

Just taking a really quick look at it, initial investment wise it seems like it would be way more expensive to roll your own unless you are making a lot of cables. Not to mention quite time consuming and with a potential to mess up pretty badly and waste a good deal of fiber and connector bits...
  9. D

Arista Switches?

In your home? If so, I would imagine it's the 4 line card version. Even still those are pretty neato switches and I certainly wouldn't mind playing with one.
  10. D

Likely going to start playing with fiber - what to look out for?

Fiber store sells duplex and simplex MM and SM fiber cables with LC connectors. You don't have to pull anything apart unless you really want to.
  11. D

Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

Not that I know of. I currently have mine on an unused shelf in my rack, but that is really just a stopgap measure since I haven't had much time or money lately. It's on my list of things now, and unless someone knows for sure that the dell rails fit, I will just get a set from a Quanta...
  12. D

Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

As it turns out, there is only one set of rails in the kit. I am told that bulk is referenced because of QCT's packaging. If the C2100 rails don't work then there is this route. I may just get the quanta rails and not bother dealing with trying out the dell rails if someone hasn't tried it/...
  13. D

CPU cooling - water vs air, overclocking etc

Yes, well use cases are completely different from performance capacity, which I did briefly mention before. If you don't need the maximum amount of cooling possible then you might not need water cooling. I've used it to great effect to make a server virtually silent so that I could sleep in...
  14. D

Based on the fact that water has a greater capacity for removing heat from a system. Hence why any system in the world that produces a large amount of waste heat uses water to cool or as a transfer medium. For example, nuclear (other than also being a neutron moderator inside the reactor)...
  15. D

I'm wondering what constitutes "high end" for an AIO/closed loop cooler because I've used and know people who have used coolers like the corsair H50 to great effect. Not only was it considerably quieter, but the cooling provided was also significantly better than an air cooler. Air cooling is...
  16. D

E5 V1/ V2 blade servers?

I think the main reason people don't usually do this is the power, noise, and heat that these things put out. The Dell M1000e for example is rated at 7.5 bels A weighted. That is 75 dBA which is on the order of a vacuum cleaner or hair drier running. That is the minimum sound level of the...
  17. D

Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

I updated the BMC but when I went to do the BIOS the updater said that it wasn't for my system and might break things. Just wanted to check if you had the same message. I downloaded the BIOS update version: S2RS4A17 with date: 14/09/2015 If you have the same and got the same message I'll...
  18. D

Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

I heard back from the distributor this afternoon. They have the bulk packs of the rail kits. I think it's going to be around $100 shipped, and I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there are at least two rail kits in the pack. I'll post again when I get some more info, but it also...
  19. D

Cheap dual 2011 Brebones

Interesting, I guess I don't need to worry about that then. Thanks. I'm still waiting on my ram and CPUs, the seller is something like 2 hours from me so it got here first. I'll be sure to do that though when I get the rest of the parts.
  20. D

BLAZING INFERNO HOT - Hitachi HUSSL4040ASS600 $99

Aargh! Gosh hecking darn it! I just made a big purchase over the weekend and I'm strapped for cash for a while or else I'd grab a bunch of these. Shame that they went up in price, still very good deal though.