Search results

1. trapexit

ProxMox vs OMV vs UnRaid vs Debian/Centos w/ Docker + KVM vs Rancher

MergerFS would be a performance bottleneck. If you want to keep your VM images in the same location but actually be on different drives (remember that mergerfs doesn't shard data across drives) then you could just create symlinks to the actual images on the real drives. A bit manual but really a...
  2. trapexit

High Capacity Storage Server for 10Gb Network

Regarding a point earlier in the thread about SnapRaid + MergerFS and caching. Not tested much yet but I've been working on a tool to help setup and use device mapper on Linux to setup block caches for slow drives. I've only been testing it in test VMs and still need to create a systemd service...
  3. trapexit

dm-cache or flashcache for SnapRAID w/ mergerfs

A first round try is there. The docs aren't complete but hopefully they are clear'ish. You'll need a fast device that the software can manipulate as it sees fit and point it to some devices you wish it to sit in front of. I'm still working on getting it setup so it will run after devices are...
  4. trapexit

I've not updated the docs since the software to enable (simplify) it hasn't been finished. I can upload the tool (trapexit/dmcache · GitHub) and leave the startup part of it to later. I should have it uploaded later today. Just need to add some basic documentation.
  5. trapexit

So... I have something that can setup caches using dm-cache. Splits a drive N ways for N slow drives and then can mount them. However... I'm having a hell of a time getting a systemd service unit setup to mount them at the correct time during boot. Can't seem to get it quite right and it tries...
  6. trapexit

Looking to move off UnRAID - Alternative Bulk Storage OS?

Sounds more like 1 than 2 (if you want per drive caching rather than caching across the whole. I'm looking to create 3 different solutions. 1) dm-cache's on top of existing block devices with the benefits and complications of such. 2) Cache drives being priority write targets through mergerfs...
  7. trapexit

Looking to move off UnRAID - Alternative Bulk Storage OS?

What kind of caching behavior are we talking about? To increase write speeds of small'ish bursts of writes? I'm trying to put together some solutions to solve the common situations in which people request caching. Often the usage pattern wouldn't actually be helped by caches (for instance...
  8. trapexit

I need to do some refactoring first to offer support for handling underlying drive / filesystem errors better and then I can pretty easily add that feature. Hope to have it ready in the next couple weeks.
  9. trapexit

What's the access patterns? Same files over and over or always new files? For the former the OS will handle the caching. So long as you have RAM the OS will cache the data. For the latter... you can try what I mentioned prior. The problem is knowing what to cache. If there was a programmatic...
  10. trapexit

For people to have it :) Seems like a mismatch of technologies. snapraid and mergerfs aren't really intended for the kind of workloads that you'd normally need high read speeds like that... especially when talking about wanting a flash accelerator. Is the OS cache not enough to manage the...
  11. trapexit

Glad to hear. I've noticed it's popularity grow quite a bit and usecases continue to grow. While we're discussing speed... others are using mergerfs with rclone to combine multiple cloud services for their media. In newer versions of FUSE and the user library there is a writeback cache which...
  12. trapexit

Author of mergerfs here... To address the question of speed... it's really difficult to say. It's highly dependent on 1) Kernel version 2) libfuse version 3) CPU 4) underlying drives 5) how many files are being read/written. I've been meaning to put together some benchmarks and try out...
  13. trapexit

New build ZOL 24TB

No. What issue with Samba? The only known issue is not a mergerfs thing... it's a SMB/CIFS client thing related to renaming of files. You can read the details of the issue in the mergerfs readme.
  14. trapexit

New build ZOL 24TB

If you have a mergerfs pool which you are exporting there have been issues reported. If you are merging NFS exports... no issues.
  15. trapexit

New build ZOL 24TB

Ah, true. A heads up just in case :)
  16. trapexit

New build ZOL 24TB

It should be noted that there are some issues with fuse based filesystems (like mergerfs) and NFS. For some it works fine and others not at all. I've yet to be able to find an explicit difference in setup but at some point it'd be good to try NFSv3 vs v4 and different settings to see which cause...
  17. trapexit

New build ZOL 24TB

Yeah.... if you setup your search, action, and create policies all to `ff` it'll be more predictable and will as it mentions pick up whatevers first found. The order being what you define as the sources. You can't really use globbing because there is no defined order though I believe it sorts it.