Search results

1. L

Supermicro X9/X10/X11 Fan Speed Control

After having looked for weeks now to stop the BMC from revving up all fans after it fails to properly read RPM values (every x minutes, a random FAN was at 0 RPM, which is a big fat lie). Now that I've set fan speed to full and set speeds similar to yours, I finally have a silent NAS in my...
  2. L

Intel Xeon engineering sample: Should I get one?

I feel so dumb for not having noticed your thread. My mind just didn't immediately connect ES to Engineering Samples. Guess this thread can be closed :)
  3. L

Intel Xeon engineering sample: Should I get one?

Hey everyone, I moved last year to China and, China being China, I'm finding a lot of engineering samples of Intel Xeons on the market place. What does this mean? Well, I can get my hands on a E5-2618L V4 for 217 US$ or a E5-2683 V4 for 332!! US$. Engineering samples are of course not supposed...
  4. L

mATX/ATX DP board with support for E5-2620v4 and E5-1630v4

Hey everyone, I'm looking at an AIO approach for a new gaming rig/server and am wondering if there's a 2011-3 motherboard which supports both an E5-2620v4 (low freq., many cores for the server) and an E5-1630v4 (dedicated to a W10 KVM VM w/ GPU pass-through). All I kind find are dual cpu boards...
  5. L

Server: M-ATX 1245v5/2620v4 or ATX 2620v4

This is amazing, thx! Is only 50-60$ more expensive than the ASUS, but it's a no-brainer knowing that I get PCI-e 3.0 over M2 and Intel's X550 Dual 10GBase-T LAN ports in return. Great find.
  6. L

Server: M-ATX 1245v5/2620v4 or ATX 2620v4

Hey everyone, I've been looking at building a home server for quite a while and I'm struggling with my format (ATX/M-ATX) and cpu (1245v5/2620v4) choices. Just to let you know, I live in a rather small apartment (i love it!) and have a gf running around.. which explains my choice for a desktop...
  7. L

Hybrid (AIO) Gaming desktop, VM Host (Server) & NAS: To do or not to do?

Went with the GT710 instead. It's available here and 10+e cheaper :)
  8. L

I'm actually gonna go with a GT720 instead. TDP of 19W, no fan and around 50e. I don't really care about its performance, will the desktop for that ;)
  9. L

Yeah, I'm saving 10e by taking the one w/o igp and will go for a GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR5, no fan and can be found at around 60e. I can only find 5 LGA1151 micro-ATX mobo's which feed my needs and 4 of them are Supermicro's (starting at 260e). The Gigabyte one is available at ~110e + 60e for the...
  10. L

Thanks again, you've been of great help :) If you don't mind me asking one last thing... I've just noticed that that Gigabyte mobo doesn't have any video out (not even VGA). So I'm guessing it's pointless to go for the E3-1245 with integrated GPU and might just as well go with the E3-1240 (same...
  11. L

Can you elaborate on this? As far as I can tell from benchmarks, the 950 beats the 750 in everything except for random writes. I'm actually still doubting on going the PCIe NVME route instead of a normal SATA one. What areas do you think I'll see huge improvements in? euh ... it looks good? :D...
  12. L

Thanks for the tip, but I'm actually in the middle of passing the Linux System Administration certification and that is why I'm going to opt for the QEMU/KVM virtualization solution (got a Hyper-V cluster to manage @ work :)) I've decided to split things up (will wait for the next gen GPU's for...
  13. L

I would go for 1 system because I figured it was doable and would cost me quite a bit less, not having to buy everything twice (I'd much rather spend 600e on a high end cpu than 600e on 2 mid rangers). Also I love the idea of playing with QEMU/KVM and PCIe passthrough :). I could also wait for...
  14. L

Ah damn, didn't know I needed Xeons for those. Thought support for those had to come from the motherboard only. So no point waiting for Broadwell-E either then .. which is too bad since those cpu's seem to be priced attractively. I don't particularly need 12 cores, 8 should be enough (games...
  15. L

Usage Profile: This build will be used as my own desktop/WS, capable of gaming on dual 27" monitors @1080p, and will serve as the non-critical file, mail and web server for the family. It would be nice to have my own test lab as well (db/app server). Other information… Ok, I know some of you...