Search results

1. Zack Hehmann

WTB [US] 8 Sticks of 3200MHZ RAM for EPYC 7002

Hello, I'm looking to buy 8X 32GB DDR4 2XR4 @3200MHZ or 8X 64GB DDR4 @3200MHZ. Not sue what I have found is a good price. I have for each stick shipped and tax at $56.00. I'm fine with going to eBay or buying form a member here. I'm having trouble finding good prices on eBay (searching for RAM...
  2. Zack Hehmann

Bought an EPYC 7532...Now what?

I just bought an Epyc 7532 from eBay for $325 (hopefully it was a good deal?). I'm not sure exactly what I plan on doing with this, but I know I'll be running Docker/Kubernetes, VMs, and misc. Linux tasks. Haven't decided on the OS yet, ESXi, Linux bare metal, or Proxmox? Also considering making...
  3. Zack Hehmann

Any Good?? Avaya AL3500A14-E6 3510GT-PWR+ Managed 8 Port Switch

Hello, I came across an Avaya AL3500A14-E6 3510GT-PWR+ Managed 8 port switch. It's relatively in expensive. I have never used Avaya before. I was hoping to use this switch at my desk and have it connect back to my juniper or Cisco switch. My hope was to power a POE device or 2 for testing and...
  4. Zack Hehmann

PSOD Woes

All I have been receiving PSOD errors on one of my hosts at home. This has been going on for about a month. Usually the host will stay up for 1 day and 15 hours before doing a kernel dump. I reduced the number of VMs running to just the vCenter server and it still crashes. The error is PF...
  5. Zack Hehmann

Power Issues with HP ProLiant DL380 G7

I have an HP ProLiant DL380 G7 that is such a pain to turn on. Pushing the power button on the front of the server doesn't turn it on. I even tried turning it on using the power button while logged into the iLO. When I first got it, I ended up pulling out the front power panel and verifying...
  6. Zack Hehmann

How Does Microsoft ID Motherboard for Windows 10 Upgrade

Hello all, I had a motherboard fail on me. I had done a Windows 10 free upgrade with it. I'm curious what ID Microsoft is using to identify the motherboard. I ended up making a post on reddit. I thought you guys might be more knowledgeable. Here is my post - Link to the reddit post. Thanks...
  7. Zack Hehmann

Alcatel-Lucent/NOKIA 7210 D SAS Image

Hello all, I have an Alcatel-Lucent/NOKIA 7210 D SAS switch that was given to me. I was wanting to use in in my lab. My friend factory defaulted the device before giving it to me. He doesn't have access to any of the images as the device was sent to him for scrap and they don't ues NOKIA...
  8. Zack Hehmann

Dell Optiplex 790 support VT-d

I have Dell Optiplex 790. I bought it for $40. It has an i3-2120, 250 GB HDD, and 2 X 2 Gb of DDR3. I'm planning on using it for an ESXi box for Zoneminder and pfSense. I'm wanting to utilize VT-d so I could pass a network card to pfSense. I am looking at buying an i5-2390T for lower wattage...
  9. Zack Hehmann

Bought a New SSD - Want to Verify SMART Info

Hey guys, I just purchased a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD off of eBay the other day. Here is the link. The seller had it listed as used, and that it was used less than a week. I checked the SMART info using CrystalDiskInfo and HDD Sentinel. When I originally looked at the drive a few...
  10. Zack Hehmann

Help with RAID 0 Array

Hello all, I'm trying to get some data off an HPML310 G5. I was using it for testing at home. I had ESXI 5.5 installed on a flash drive and had the array as a datastore. I had configured a RAID 0 array with (3) 300GB 15K drives. I had one of the drives fall out of the array due to bad blocks...
  11. Zack Hehmann

Unable to add NFS share from napp-it OVA to ESXi

I am unable to Add the NFS share I created on the napp-it OVA. I have read through 2 of the napp-it pdfs about setting it up. I have also read these 2 threads Napp-it NFS share just won't mount 5.5U2 & ESXi 5.5 vswitch network setup - All-in-one I'm still not able to get it to work. Any help...
  12. Zack Hehmann

Napp-it VM Downloads Unavailable

napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana, Solaris and Linux : Downloads I can not download either release on that page. Any one else able to do it? Would someone be willing to host the napp-it_2016.4_ova_for_ESXi_5.5u2-6.0u2. (Apr 20,2016) ova? Thanks!!
  13. Zack Hehmann

Trying to determine ZFS design of vdevs

Hello everyone!! I ended up purchasing (10) 2TB Hitachi drives from ebay when they were $30 each. Of the 10 2 had a bunch of bad blocks leaving me 8 that I can use. I'm wanting to build an all in one Napp-it server on ESXi 6. This is going to be for my home environment with 30 VMs max and about...
  14. Zack Hehmann

X9SCM-F Memory Issues

I'm having issues with my X9SCM-F Board registering all 32GB of RAM I have installed. I have double checked to make sure they at seated correctly and even removed and put them back in. I first noticed it when I had System properties open in Windows 8. I ended up running a few apps to see what...
  15. Zack Hehmann

Looking for low power CPU with VT-d and AES-NI for new pfSense build

I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on a new pfSense build I'm looking at doing. I might consider making this build a light ESXi build that runs pfSense, a TurnKey Linux build with phpIPAM packages installed, and maybe an Asterisk server. I currently am using a Dell optiplex 755 and it's...
  16. Zack Hehmann

Hardware RAID for ESXi

Hey guys, I'm helping a friend out with a new server build. I'm trying to figure out how to handle the storage for his ESXi host. I'm considering looking for a good inexpensive hardware RAID option for his ESXi server. He has an i3 that doesn't support VT-d, so that rules out software RAID or...
  17. Zack Hehmann

Server Rack Suggestions

Hello all, I was looking to get a server rack for the house. I'm putting it in the closet in my office. Unfortunately my closet door is only 23.5 inches wide. Most of all the racks I have looked at are wider than that. I originally was going to build one out of wood and purchase 4 of the 24U...
  18. Zack Hehmann

APC SMX1500RM2UNC eBay

I'm wondering if this is a good price? I'm looking at buying this. Idk if I should wait for something else or buy this ups somewhere else. Let me knew what you think. Also looking for a good place to get batteries. APC SmartUPS X 1500VA Rack/Tower SMX1500RM2UNC w/ NO Network Card Sent from my...
  19. Zack Hehmann

Supermicro X9SCM-F Powers Off Every 5 Minutes

Hello all, I'm having issues with getting my setup working. MOBO - Supermicro X9SCM-F REV 1.11A BIOS 2.0A IPMI Firmware 1.27 Ram - (2) kvr1333d3e9sk2/8g kits 16GB total (4X 4GB Sticks) CPU - i3-2100T PSU - Corsair HX750 or PC Power and Cooling PPCMK3S400 I can not get the system to stay...
  20. Zack Hehmann

Decisions Decisions.... ESXi White Box Woes

Hello everyone! I came across STH website about a year or so ago. I am finally looking at the forum posts. I’m super excited to have found a place that talks about enterprise grade server hardware for the home. I’m here to ask for advice from you experienced guys on what to buy for my needs. I’m...