Search results

1. F

[High Fail Rate] Seagate 3TB Desktop 3.5" HDD SATA 6Gb/s 64MB - ST3000DM001 - $67.99

I can certainly sympathize with you as I bought 12 and all 12 failed eventually. I do still have some that are working after RMA though.
  2. F

Supermicro 4U 24 bay 846 chassis SAS2 with rails/motherboard - $300

These are the reasons that I personally switched. ZFS is a great solution and it may fit your needs better, but this is what motivated me to move on. Incoming wall of text, so skip it if you are just not interested in my personal reasoning. It is much easier to add additional drives to an...
  3. F

The software raid parity writes add overhead that tend to slow things down. You can use ssd cache drives to help speed things up under certain circumstances, but I have also experienced poor performance in VM's running directly on the cache drives in testing. Frankly none of that really matters...
  4. F

Thanks for the great info. That is certainly informative to anyone who is interested. I am running unraid right now where the disk I/O performance is already garbage so I can't imagine I would notice a difference with the one connector. I do however agree with you that it seems a bit pricey at...
  5. F

Thanks for the reply. I would think that the single sas connector on the BPN-SAS2-846EL1 would be more desirable. What is your reason for going 846A instead?
  6. F

Lowest he seems to want to go now is $330 plus shipping. Claims the listing and accepting of lower offers yesterday was an error. "That is mistake of other guys. That's why we have to end and relist." What do you guys think about $415 shipped considering that it has the rails and caddies?
  7. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

Yes I agree, that seems much higher than most of the reports I see on the forums. Like I stated in my initial post, I think you can cut the power consumption costs in half (around 95-100 watts) if you are mirroring setups that other people are building and reporting values for. This can still...
  8. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

I totally understand that, and it seems like you made the right call for your situation. If I had and would continue to utilize cheaper power, I probably would build a handful of those dual 2670 setups (if I could find cheap boards). I also feel like it hits another niche that my friend who...
  9. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

Yes, I will hopefully be moving out of the US within the next year. I also believe that your electricity can be that expensive within the U.S. as well (in Hawaii primarily).
  10. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

Ah, so this is where the numbers get interesting (for me anyways). My current power cost per kWh is 0.13111 so lets run some calculations with that. I used a kill-a-watt to get these numbers for the E5-2675 V3 so the accuracy is probably not perfect, but close enough for our uses. E5-2675 V3...
  11. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

Yes, this is not ideal if you strictly need high single threaded performance. It is ideal for highly parallelized applications though and not a bad workhorse for other uses as well. I decided to go this route because power here is expensive, and a dual 2670 V1 box just wasn't practical power...
  12. F

E5-2673 V3 OEM EBAY

First time poster here, but there isn't a lot of information about this processor out there yet so I figured I would chime in. My friend and I were both building new servers, and decided to gamble on this. We bought from a different eBay seller, but everything turned out perfectly. We both have...