Search results

1. N

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

This is very interesting... is there any chance that there is this connection via the backplane between the two nodes? Or is that strictly power only?
  2. N

That's true - there's a slight concern on mechanical stability since using the riser would allow you to use the screws to secure to the chassis. But hey, it would be a lot of fun to see a GTX980Ti on this thing. I'm concerned about BIOS compatibility since the GT710 2GB had issues, though.
  3. N

If you look at the bottom photo: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet That's pretty much the size of the GPU available. Where the DIMMs start, there is a hard plastic cowling for air-exchange for cooling RAM/CPUs (which you can see on the second node in that photo). What is the...
  4. N

Thanks @tuatara! I wonder how closely to spec all these Windmill OCP boards are... would the BIOS be interchangeable?! What is the version/date of the Quanta BIOS?
  5. N

In treating these as cost-efficient workstations, I'm trying to expand I/O as much as possible. This may be a big difference between these Wiwynn SV7210 and the Quanta, but the three MiniSAS headers appear unpopulated: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet I don't know much about SAS...
  6. N

Thanks, Jan - this is great data!
  7. N

I wonder how I could squeeze a decent GPU into the chassis to play it! ;)
  8. N

Oh, that was me just trying to fill up the screen (usually all CPUs are flatlining at zero and memory doesn't even register). Here is the benchmark program I used to puff it all up: y-cruncher - A Multi-Threaded Pi Program
  9. N

Thanks, the Wiwynn project director's name is G.C. Chang. I will PM you the contact details so you can forward it to your friend. Yes, the $65 E5-2670s I picked up were SR0KX so should support VT-d.. next time I reboot I will take a look at the BIOS options. As for Windows 7.. well you get...
  10. N

Yes. There are two USB 2.0 ports, one in the front, and one on the motherboard (they call it "internal"). They don't seem to be identical; the internal one sometimes works for boot.. and sometimes only works for a keyboard. It's foolproof to use the front USB port, if your USB drive fits in...
  11. N

For the VT-d question, I don't know if this answers your question, but on a lark I installed the Xen Hypervisor on my Ubuntu 16.04 LTS beta. This is the output of the initial dom0 dmesg upon boot: (XEN) Processor #45 6:13 APIC version 21 (XEN) Processor #47 6:13 APIC version 21 (XEN)...
  12. N

I too thought it would be much more elegant taking a single $99 node and powering it from ATX. Once I saw what you get "for free" ($199 includes the two $99 nodes, plus the chassis, plus the power supply, plus the power bus board) I got lazy and just paid $48.
  13. N

Answers: 1. Although Michael (the eBay seller for the SV7210) suggests there are BIOS updates from Wiwynn, when I emailed Wiwynn, their project director just asked "where did you find one of those old things!?" and did not further reply when I volunteered to be a maintainer of their last set...
  14. N

Ok, I'm going to take @Patrick up on his offer if someone else hasn't already! :) Background: Long-time STH lurker who jumped at the opportunity to grab $65 E5-2670's. When I looked at what to put them in though, it all seemed so pricey. So I thought "well if these E5-2670's are coming from...