Search results

1. F

Supermicro X11SPM-TPF (10g sfp+) with silver 4110 in SC847 - ~130w power draw!??

So I've purposely built and swapped my other old systems to this board+cpu gen because it idles very good, this system is my NAS so it's idle like 90% of the time, trying to cut down on power consumption for sake for longer UPS runtime and other factors. Anyhow, I couldn't believe my eyes when...
  2. F

Any use connecting SAS3 HBA to SAS2 backplane?

I will get a motherboard with onboard SAS3 HBA, in my supermicro SC847 that has SAS2 backplane. Does this improve transfer rate or not?
  3. F

PWS-1K41P-1R Loudness?

Does anyone have the 1400W gold power supply in the 846/847 chassis? Are these loud or OK? I know this isn't the SQ ones but I have the 700watt version if this 1R one and it's not too bad since all my other case fans are louder.
  4. F

SAS2-E16 expander in SC847 - Bandwidth concerns

Hey guys, I just bought a new but discounted SC847 E16-R1400UB! So it has the E16 expander for the 24 bay front portion and similar expander for 12 bay but I'm not worried on the rear one. So with a M1015 card in IT mode, the expander can take SFF8087 which is 4 lanes 6gbps, = 24gbps feeding...
  5. F

Cheap M1015 on eBay from China? Legit or no?

I see some of these M1015 cards, much cheaper from China than in U.S., are they good? Reviews said they used it and can crossflash IT mode etc. They are about 50% prices of the pulled ones in US. EG: IBM ServeRaid M1015 46M0861 SAS/SATA PCI-e RAID Controller = LSI SAS9220-8i | eBay
  6. F

Anyone used these Rocelco 42U rack

These are local to me, not sure how bad or good they are but they are pretty good in price and the fact it's enclosed with minimal open vent so it's quieter, it relies on the fan unit to pull air out I assume. Rocelco 42U Rack with LCD Control Panel
  7. F

Rack rail support for UPS makes not fit !

I got some of those rack rail support for heavy UPS, but the problem is, once you use these, they take up slightly more room than a rack unit so it interferes with either the top or bottom rack unit. Is there a way to fix this or I will always have to leave a gap in between these rail things.
  8. F

Upgrading to 2016 Server, I just want import old tired storage spaces

So if I'm upgrading to the new 2016, I just want to reuse my old tiered storage spaces, SSD/HDD, no storage spaces direct. Can this still be done in 2016 Server?
  9. F

WD Red Pro WD6002FFWX vs WD6001

Hi all, I currently have a few of these WD Red Pro 6002 and 6001, they look different and it seems the 6002 runs more hotter, are they not as good as the 6001? I'm planning on RMA the 6002 one because it's running hotter than rest of the HDD.
  10. F

Supermicro fans - FAN-0104L4 - anyone used these?

I'm going crazy finding some decent fans that are not too loud but can pull enough air through my SC836 with 16HDD. It's not that the stock fans at 40% are "loud" but it's the tone of the fans, they sound pretty annoying. I've tried the 0074L4 and they aren't any better than the 0126L4 I...
  11. F

Noise reduction 42u - no panels + perforated doors.

Currently in progress of finishing up my server room/office, originally I was going to just keep it a server only room with occasional use to do whatever work/pc build/general workshop so having supermicro fans spin up at high rpm doesn't matter. Now with using it as an office, I'm trying to...
  12. F

Hyper-V role network issue - virtual switch can't connect with nic team

So been fighting on this for hours and I think there's something inherently wrong with 2012R2 + Hyper V role. I'm trying to do a simple thing here, let me explain. My host machine has 4 nics, so as with my other servers I've created a team or LAG to have redundancy and balance throughput...
  13. F

S3 ACPI - What happens if power is disconnected?

I couldn't really find any info on this.. If I put my machines in S3 mode (Windows machine) and I pull the power from them, and then reconnect, do things get corrupted? I'm not sure if this is same as hibernation state which you can have powerloss.
  14. F

Supermicro rail confusion mount

So I have a few Supermicro chassis and this is the first 2U chassis I got (823 model) It comes with seems a more dated rail than my 836 chassis with the quick option rail. This is the rear portion. Now the hardware it comes with is m5 screws with the conical washers that you're suppose to...
  15. F

Quality SFF8087 and reverse breakout cables?

I searched around and I couldn't really find a good quality cable, or not sure which is good or not. I need 2 types, a SFF8087 to SFF8087 mini-sas cable to connect to backplanes from HBA card. Also need reverse breakout cable from 4 sata on MB to backplane SFF8087. Is istarusa good? Areca...
  16. F

Captive portal on guest wifi BUT with open authentication

I'm wondering this for a while. If you have a secure setup, and have a separate guest wifi on it's own vlan with proper firewall rules etc, and run captive portal for that. But you keep the wifi open vs WPA2 so all users do is use captive portal for auth. Is this safe enough or should...
  17. F

Used vs new IBM M1015 Sas?

Is there any difference in terms of reliability of running a used 1015 card vs new one? I can find a few new ones and they are double the price, is it worth it or stick with used?
  18. F

Future proof upgrading NAS4free/freenas box - ZFS ram

So I'm going to upgrade my current Nas4Free box which runs off a very low Sata count intel desktop board. I am going for a higher SATA port count board with about 10-14 ports and will also get a SAS expander as well for future drives. Will put this in a norco 4224. I have 12 drives right now...
  19. F

Replace older HDD before failure?

In my current NAS, I have a few drives that I started out with 3-5 years ago, oldest ones being put in around 2010. I'm wondering should I scrap the ones that are older than 4 years before failure occurs? They aren't even NAS drives, just WD Green drives and some Seagate green ones. The newer...
  20. F

Norco 4224 - remove backplane?

I want to grab a 24 bay rackmount chassis to swap out my Rosswill 4500 case. I don't really need hotswap perse, but like how the drives are organized like that, plus I'm not sure why but my Rosswill case, using universal rails, they don't line up on the correct U in my rack. Not sure if...