Search results

1. P

AWS micro v. small - finally got a nice benchmark result

I think that is m3.2xlarge not 3xlarge Still I'd bet you could build a C2750 machine and colo it for less than $1772
  2. P

Does Hyper-V Dynamic Memory work with Linux?

I am trying to spec out a few lighter use VMs. I searched and it seems like there is conflicting information on if it works or not. Some technet articles say if you turn it on it pegs you at 100% cpu utilization.
  3. P

Multi-interface server box feasibility

Hey all, I'm kinda thinking about doing something different. I have a few different servers (~6) at home. I also have a completely eclectic mix of network cards. 40gb IB, 10 gig SFP and Cat6, 56GB IB/ 40G Ethernet QSFP+. Each interface I've gotten over time but usually only 2-3 cards each...
  4. P

Supermicro H8DCL-iF crashes randomly with strange kernel messages

Not much on them. Yobitech Reviews - yobitech.com/ Ratings at ResellerRatings One is scary. I'd figure most vendors will have at least a few positive reviews they give themselves
  5. P

4U 60 Bay Drive Chassis - Because sometimes 24 drives isn't enough

I wonder who makes these. they do look massive. so heavy too. I can't imagine lifting these to a rack
  6. P

Simplification

hi - why not just do server and workstation builds forum instead of two? oh and raid + hba + drives. That will take 2 out total
  7. P

DL180 G6 (Serverworks Edition ILO2!) $25 motherboard

Can I use this in a non-HP case? $25 +15 ship is a great deal
  8. P

Outdoor Security camera with poe + night vision

Hey I have been researching the same. On phone now. Will dig the link up to what I am getting when I get to a PC
  9. P

Flextronics F-X430046 DDR Infiniband switch for US$175.

Are these loud/ power hungry?
  10. P

Lenovo ThinkServer RD630 E5-2620 2U Rack Server - $862

Why is that? Just because of the hard drive trays?
  11. P

BThunderW's Hardware Stuff

Thanks for the replies! iirc Fore10 had the S50 and S50n. I think the n version had management software and the ability to do IPv6? Any idea which you have? Great data points on noise. Always a concern with basement rack
  12. P

C6100 (DCS) - No remote console.

Any update? Did ya try firefox?
  13. P

BThunderW's Hardware Stuff

Great pictures! I do have two questions though: 1. What are you using all of this for? 2. Are those car batteries? How does that work? I would imagine cheaper than buying more from APC.
  14. P

Lenovo ThinkServer RD630 E5-2620 2U Rack Server - $862

Saw this on Amazon Warehouse deals: Amazon.com: Lenovo ThinkServer RD630 2594A9U 2U Rack Server - 1 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2GHz: Computers & Accessories Highlights: Xeon E5-2620 ($400 alone) Lenovo LSI 2108 SAS adapter with 512MB which is like a LSI 9260-8i ($400 alone) 4GB of throw away...
  15. P

IPMI Network Setup - vlan - switch - vpn?

What do you mean by real?
  16. P

ServeTheHome Forums 10,000 posts!

Big fan of your work on here. Can't wait to see ur next article.
  17. P

PXE Boot Process - Understanding what is going on

Don't you need to set up a TFTP server? Also I think there is a bunch on the router side. Oh - maybe you just meant the PXE process from the client end. Think you may be right then.
  18. P

Time for new RAID card....

The HP P410 and P411 will work no issues. Areca 188x cards work. Also I hear LSI cards work. Think the HP SAS expander is a PMC Sierra based expander. If so, likely that the newer Adaptecs would work. One thought is getting a HP card for the flashing. I think Patrick had one in the FS thread...
  19. P

WHS 2011 vs SBS 2011 Essentials, vs New Motherboard

That is the freaking coolest server case I have seen someone make. Wow. Great job. Is that plexiglass?
  20. P

Quietest Rackmount Server - Non-Atom

TY cactus. Do all RPC-470s have mounts for 120s? I thought they have 80mm which are louder. Is there anything bigger than the 4U cooler that works? Is the airflow from that cooler the correct direction in the Norco? Anyone have other thoughts? TY again cactus