Search results

1. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

I have noted your preference for the LSI cachecade technology to which I will also make a request to get acquaintedo_O. At the same time, did you mean by SAS12 HBA 12 ports or 12 Gbps for ~ 100. Notice: The need should be 2, 1 for each node. I agree that ebay for this kind of stuff offers more...
  2. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

Hmmm, After filtering options, I think the ultimate three remaining options would be: - Drives with their USB 3.0 to sata adapters and a USB 3.0 hub in the empty chassis and link it to the host using USB 3.0 (never tried RAID using USB) - Drives and this thing that could be multiplied in a...
  3. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

@Patrick, thank you for your great advice, I forgot to say that I have another same 1U empty chassis that I can use for drives. For scaling question, I would say that 5 HDD drives + 1SSD is a good starting point to evaluate access speed and different raid possibilities, then scaling in a later...
  4. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

@Deslock, These are fully featured and great to attach to the USB3 ports of the NUC without need of any other hardware, but the current objective now is to have something working with minimum expanses just to discover how things would go (software or hardware RAID choice, RAID type choice...
  5. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

As said to pricklypunter above, the "challenge" is (if I want to benefit from the i3 NUC) how to link a scalable number of disks to the NUC since there is a usable mini PCIe (probably use mini PCIe to PCIe adapter, and/or PCIe multiplier, to attach some kind of HBA), one Sata2 port (probably use...
  6. S

DIY Home lab SAN Storage

Hi guys, As I have two unused devices, I got the idea to try to make a starting point for a small DIY scalable SAN, so I need your help to find out the best way to achieve that: ASRock machine CPU: Celeron J1900 @ 1.99GHz Chipset: Motherboard: ASRock Q1900DC-ITX including...