Search results

1. R

$1,600.00 OBO 4TB Intel DC P3608 Series SSDPECME040T4 PCIe 3.0 8X MLC SSD

Saw this on ebay. Wish I had a few bucks. 4TB Intel DC P3608 Series SSDPECME040T4 PCIe 3.0 8X MLC SSD | eBay I saw no mention of how much life is left. Also, the description says says 1TB, so would need to ask. Just thought I would let others know, as it is a potential good buy.
  2. R

Newegg - MBD-X10SDV-TLN4F-O - $702 AC

I agree with @Patrick, trading some power for flexibility is completely reasonable. Only thing I would point out for this board is the lack of a 16x (electrical) slot, as looking forward a little some of your choices regarding m.2 NVME to PCIE adapters might be limited...
  3. R

Looking for 16 port HBAs - what are my options?

Question a) I think I can answer, yes you would use an 8087->8087 cable. You have enough room in the case based on a small board that cable management should not be a problem, so longer cables may be ok. Question b) can be addressed by something like this...
  4. R

Not sure I would dismiss Marsh's suggestion so quickly, as no reason you can't route the cables from the external ports right back into your case through an open slot assuming you don't mind some cable sticking out the back of the box. I don't think he was suggesting you get an external SAS...
  5. R

If I recall correctly, the PCIe connectors on the card are used just for power but an alternate means to power the card is available via connector on the top of the card, so a PCIe board slot is not required. I might be mistaken but quite sure this is the case. For your consideration.
  6. R

Will a SAS RAID expander do what you need? For example (Intel SAS RAID Expander Card Serial ATA/600 Serial Attached SCSI PCI Express x4 | eBay). Not sure if it will work with your RAID card (others can comment), but depending on what you are running might be a good solution. Of course, you...
  7. R

Ryzen 7 1700 $220

I saw this at Microcenter just a few moments ago (http://www.microcenter.com/product/485472/Ryzen_7_1700_Summit_Ridge_30_GHz_8_Core_AM4_Boxed_Processor_with_Wraith_Spire_Cooler), processor is $220. Best deal I have seen on this(new) so far but need to walk into the store to get it from what I...
  8. R

Tyan S32272NR-C958 Review lowest power 16 core Atom platform

Thanks Patrick, I admit I am not a network guy, but after listening to the video and doing a quick internet lookup for VPP (VPP/What is VPP? - fd.io), and in particular listening to a comment the presenter made (I am paraphrasing) regarding his son building a 10 core i7 rig with a 40gbe...
  9. R

Tyan S32272NR-C958 Review lowest power 16 core Atom platform

Looking to upgrade to faster internet speeds (1Gbs in my area, 2 in the works soon) but would like to accommodate 5Gbs (as the DOCSIS 3.1 standard allows for at least 5Gbs) and am wondering if something like the Tyan board can accommodate pfsense at 5Gbs speeds (or perhaps faster) assuming I add...
  10. R

Intel Optane 900p SSD Released in AIC and U.2 Form Factors

Does anyone know, can you boot from the AIC with an AMD (Ryzen or Threadripper) board?
  11. R

Monero Mining Performance

Were all cores active or only 8? 240 just seems low.
  12. R

Thanks Patrick for the numbers. My assumption is you were/are using 8 cores to get the 1 core/2meg core to cache ratio. Also, I am assuming the the 3750/8 would be in the 310H/s range (3338 @ 77H/s x 4 aprox.) based on the prior assumption. Also, perhaps wrong, my assumption is at full throttle...
  13. R

Thanks, Patrick for the quick response! I'm looking forward to your testing of the EPYC 7351p! I saw recently that you published some benchmarks for the Atom C3955, did you get a chance to do any Monero mining testing on this processor? If you still have the part available, perhaps some...
  14. R

Hi Patrick, Just wondering if you have gotten a chance to look at the AMD EPYC 7351(p) processor(s), as according to the spec page(AMD EPYC™ 7351P | AMD, http://www.amd.com/system/files/2017-06/AMD-EPYC-Data-Sheet.pdf) , the processor has 64MB L3 Cache with 32 threads, so should perhaps be in...
  15. R

AMD RYZEN 7 1700X $32.00 ?

My thinking was perhaps this was some type of part and the heading was wrong or I missed something in the description, as clearly the price is impossible. Hence the question. Yah, I saw the negative feedback, the low amount of feedback...but my second thought was wondering if some set of...
  16. R

AMD RYZEN 7 1700X $32.00 ?

Ok, AMD RYZEN 7 1700X 8-Core 3.4 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo) YD170XBCAEWOF Desktop Processor | eBay What am I missing? This has got to be a typo.
  17. R

Supermicro 64 GB SATA DOM (SSD-DM064-PHI) - $59.99

Ok, I'll take a last stab at this think but I am thinking about this subject wayyyyyyyy too much:) For brevity I am just going write a few thoughts between the Supermicro device on this thread and the (Amazon.com: Lycom 171s (mSATA to SATA DOM -Disk on Module- Adapter): Computers & Accessories)...
  18. R

Before I forget, what occurred to me is you can get something like this (mainboard Internal USB 3.0 20pin female to 2-port USB 3.0 A female card adapter | eBay) to add more storage (or perhaps distribute some functionality from the os, or provide cheap backup) in addition to the USB converter...
  19. R

I have been seriously considering using the mSATA adapters myself as right now I am using an adapter that holds two SSD drives (Amazon.com: Kingwin KW-PCI2H25 HDD / SSD Mounting Bracket for PCI Slot Specifications: Computers & Accessories) but makes the wiring a bit more ugly and you may need...
  20. R

Hello boot drives? 10x 16GB Kingston m.2 SSDs under $5/ ea

You are completely correct, the links I provided is for mSATA. I prior post on this thread had the link with mSATA in it, looks like I did not look close enough. Kingston 16 GB M.2.NGFF mSATA SSD Chromebooks Acer | eBay However, at least on the USB front, something like this: USB3.0...