Search results

1. I

WD Elements 20TB

As I get older, the allure of shucking is lessened by having to carefully store the case and the little doodads (PCB, rubber bumpers, etc.) for 3 years... :) WD periodically runs 20% off 2-packs of the Red Pros with an extra year of warranty (6 total) - the 20 TB Pros would be $304 each.
  2. I

FS: AMD EPYC 74F3 24core 256MB-L3-cache , Supermicro H12DSi-N6, with eight 32GB DIMMs , two Epyc 7763 64core

Also possibly interested in one of the 7763s if you're willing to split up that lot.... :)
  3. I

What is perc controller and why i need perc controller to configure raid?

Perc is Dell's "brand name" for hardware RAID controllers. You need one if you plan to do hardware RAID.
  4. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

Apparently, just attaching a copper shim with a thermal pad may be sufficient. These are really nice forged copper heatsinks but only come in a pack of 8: Enzotech BCC9 VGA Cooler - Newegg.com
  5. I

How secure is the S.M.A.R.T. data and usage history on an SSD ?

Yeah, the "Pro 1500" isn't an enterprise drive at all, basically just something Intel used to relabel their consumer SSDs as for the business laptop market (36.5 TBW).
  6. I

How secure is the S.M.A.R.T. data and usage history on an SSD ?

Can confirm same drive arrived in new HP 840 G1 about 1.5 years ago.
  7. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

No, that's 4mm outer dia. instead of 4.8mm and there's an explicit warning on 96boards about not using those. This is the only thing I could find with Prime: Amazon.com: 4.8mm x 1.7mm 18.5V 3.5A 65W Power Supply AC Adapter for HP Compaq: Computers & Accessories (18.5V is well within the max...
  8. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

IMO it would be a good impulse buy even with all the fluff if it was at least the 2GB RAM version.
  9. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

The input jack is a weird 4.75mm/1.7mm diameter (to some EIAJ-03 standard). But one of these $3 adapters will let you power it with any 12V/2A supply you have lying around with the more common 5.5mm/2.1mm jack (external hard drives, routers, mini-PCs, etc.). The nice and somewhat unique thing...
  10. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

Awesome! If they used Fedex, then I guess the shipping isn't really a ripoff. Do let us know how "mature" the 16.04 beta distribution is. Well, didn't you know all IoT devices SHALL be located at least 50 feet from any wired network? :P There is excellent out-of-the-box support for ASIX...
  11. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

After a bit of research, your best option for getting Ubuntu AArch64 running, like, right now and into the near future appears to be Qualcomm's Dragonboard 410c board, available for $75 from Arrow. This is a Linaro supported initiative with very stringent software requirements; along with a...
  12. I

WD 8TB helium drives

What the guru said above :) Conventional (air) six-platter drives are a proven technology, now you have seven platters inside a different medium. AFAIK, the He's primary purpose is to reduce spinning drag/friction, so, theoretically, even if it leaked out, the drive shouldn't just die right...
  13. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

Consider canceling that one and ordering from their Northern Calif-based US distributor, ameridroid.com. Supposed to have them in stock as of today and significantly less appalling shipping :) Edit: from what I'm reading on the CNX-software blog and Armbian forums, Odroid is shipping 16.04...
  14. I

WTB: Supermicro SC846

I've had to do this in the past and have a P212 kicking around gathering dust, but something I read recently claimed that in Linux, you could update the expander's firmware so long as it was visible to the system (e.g. behind an LSI IT-mode card). I'll try to dig up the reference and also my old...
  15. I

WD 8TB helium drives

I wanted to start with 3 8GB Seagate SMR drives for a snapraid backup application in the summer, looks like those are around $225 now. Wondering if these are worth it for $50 more per shucked...
  16. I

WTB: Supermicro SC846

Your mini-ITX NAS boards shall be barren no more! Avago has specially developed all new SAS3 HBA SOCs providing up to 24 dedicated ports! :D SAS 9305, 12Gb/s SAS Host Bus Adapter Family (669 KB) Get your new low-profile 9305-24i today for the low, low price of $600!
  17. I

Raspberry PI 3 on sale

All stores are supposed to carry them (they're official distributors), but hoarders get to them I suppose. Ask when the next shipment is in and if you want just one or maybe two, request them to hold it for you. It helps if your face is somewhat familiar around there ;)
  18. I

WD 8TB helium drives

It does, and WD is one sneaky corp. However, the manual says And from what I see of the 12TB pricing ($450) vs two 6TBs ($500), I'd say they've taken shucking into account and are compensating with slightly lower warrant and somewhat higher sales volume for the externals. The 6TB REDs have...
  19. I

Used vs new IBM M1015 Sas?

This. Only consider new if for work or biz where it will be expensed. And in that case get a legit LSI HBA, no cross flashing shenanigans! (voids wty)
  20. I

WD 8TB helium drives

5760, IIRC from when someone recorded the sound and analyzed the spectrum. This is most likely a preview drive label or even a rendered image, the production label could be different. Mechanically, they would use a lower-speed motor with lower power (and lower-life bearings, say), use an...