Search results

1. E

Singapore - Apple MacBook-pro/iPad/etc, Supermicro items

All prices are SGD ! Strong preference to sell everything in this post + probably a few other things in one go for $4500 If somebody for example wants a bundle all the apple stuff, or all the SM e5 gear or whatever just drop me a message. No shipping, pickup my place due to size. Big clean out...
  2. E

PCIe5 trace length

Hi, Anybody know what like of restrictions shall be on then PCIe 5 trace length and will the cabled drives still be an option ? Eg OCuLink I know some systems will have a retimer essentially sitting on the drive cage and I have see PCIe5 test SSD’s but all have been using adapters with a trace...
  3. E

Microsoft prepaid O365 subscription tenant region

Hi, I need to setup a new tenant for M365/O365 for a requirement and I can’t really find and answer to my question. Can prepaid subscription cards purchased in USA be used and applied to a tenant not located in USA, eg Asia or Australia ? (subscriptions are for Office 365 business premium) I...
  4. E

Why don’t Dell or HPE have AMD tower server options ?

just curious why HPE and Dell don’t have any tower options with AMD CPU ? I would have thought there was some demand from engineers etc like the intel systems (or is it maybe a case of all the applications used are all only intel certified or heavily use AVX512 maybe)
  5. E

X10SDV-F $499 Amazon (8-core D-1541)

As the title says, not new hardware but a pretty decent price for those that want them new.
  6. E

Virtual lab vs physical lab

Ok, so it’s 2020 and some of us can’t travel or even work in the office due to COVID so maybe time to re-evaluate the lab situation. Need to test some new Ceph designs. virtual single big node vs say 3 or 4 smaller physical nodes. (Say 10-20 cores and 384gb virtual vs 4 x 4-core and 128gb...
  7. E

Lakefield / Snow Ridge boards

Anybody have any insight when we will see either Wakefield or more likely Snow Ridge boards from any of the accessible providers (Supermicro, Tyan, Asrock rack etc) ? corona virus locked down bored mind thinking of random fun things to do....
  8. E

supermicro cse-721tq-250b 2.5” ssd cooling

Anybody have experience with the seemingly limited airflow in this case for some SAS SSD ? Probably not worth trying is it ?
  9. E

How to make appliance from SM kit

I was pulling apart an ‘appliance’ from a firewall vendor today, based on standard Supermicro chassis, boards, etc. I now know how they make it an ‘appliance’ and I also know why they don’t try to repair the systems and for failure ship a while new system... hot glue gun !! I kid you not they...
  10. E

Compulab Airtop 3

What’s the good and and bad ? Has anybody seen it used them ? Airtop3 it’s fanless, e-2288g, 128gb ECC is ok (more would be better but that’s not happening) Can have 4 x sata 2.5” and 2 x 2280 NVMe and additional 3 x 30110 NVMe also. It feels expensive even if it probably is not a bad deal, a...
  11. E

Microsoft action pack internal use rights

It would seem come mid 2020 that Microsoft will not longer allow action pack internal use of software for business purposes. Aside from not wanting to do anything illegal if I only needed 2 users full O365 it would seem a ‘O365 business premium’ subscription would meet my needs currently. There...
  12. E

Intel NUC - Xeon with graphics

FanlessTech: The very first Xeon NUC Intel NUC with 8-core Xeon E Maybe interesting as an off the shelf small home server for some people in future.
  13. E

Toshiba PM5-v or HGST SS300

12G SAS versions in case there is anything else, 1.6tb in size. Anybody have any comments which they prefer ? Application could benefit from lower power and heat. HGST is solid with heat sink, Toshiba I thought was a 7mm and spacer but is indeed 15mm like the HGST but with a nice open cooling...
  14. E

CSE-E301

I am sure we had a thread with some discussions on this, a friend asked me ‘if it could’ fit question so maybe somebody has seen one of these ? @Patrick had one for a look right ? CSE-E301 Product page says 2 x 2.5” @ 15mm z-height Would it be possible to fit 4 x 7mm sata ssd in that case...
  15. E

Best torque screwdriver

What is everybody’s preferred option here for a 12 in/lb or 1.35nm capable torque screwdriver ? For scalable cpu’s, bonus if it comes with a torx T30 bit. @Patrick , you do a lot of HPE stuff these days, you know what I am looking for a good one...
  16. E

WTB: .com domain name

Pretty wide open request here but looking for a simple or catchy generic .com domain name that could be used as a business or personal domain. Prefer less letters/numbers or easy to spell. Willing to swap something or straight payment but values of course depend on the name. (Let’s say up to...
  17. E

Intel Scalable single socket board with 12 dimms ?

Has anybody seen intel scalable boards (not systems from HPE, Dell, Lenovo, etc) that are single socket and 12 dimms ? Lots with just 6 and some with the ugly config of 8 but with a quick look can’t find 12 dimm single socket.
  18. E

O365 questions

Thought I wound ask the brains trust here before I go about testing this (would cost some $$ if it doesn’t work although maybe monthly could work to try) Anyway is it possible to at the same time; - o365 home for the software (excel, word, outlook, etc) - o365 business essentials for the...
  19. E

HPE ML110

@Patrick I saw you mention this in another thread and I love the look of that server, but I would to know if it would run a Silver 4114 I can’t see why not as it’s got less cores than the biggest listed gold CPU and less TDP than the biggest (only 85w vs 105w) Anybody know if HPE gen10 systems...
  20. E

Meraki

Is there anybody here that know and works with Meraki much ? I realize the MR access points have the full layer7 functions but if you say use a MX as your firewall and Cisco aironet access points what do you loose in visabilty of what users are doing ? I assume the MX would still see what easy...