Search results

1. C

Lenovo Thinkcentre/ThinkStation Tiny (Project TinyMiniMicro) Reference Thread

1. Set the BIOS to not support CSM mode (UEFI Only). 2. Disable secure boot. 3. Reinstall pfSense in UEFI mode. See if that does it for you. I've done half a dozen installs on M720q units and that has worked every time for me. As an aside, as of a recent BIOS update, the M720q and M920q will...
  2. C

Can you elaborate on what about it is different that makes it not fit?
  3. C

Another big life change

Welcome to Arizona! I'm in Tucson here.
  4. C

ESXi to Proxmox: a good idea?

XCP-NG is the open source fork of Xen Server after they went non-free. XOA is a product called Xen Orchestra which is a management appliance/collection of patches for managing Xen Server or XCP-NG. Tom Lawrence has a bunch of videos on YouTube that cover it in great detail. I'm a Proxmox fan...
  5. C

A recent BIOS update removed the ability to run legacy mode off nvme drives. I know this because I bricked nearly 10 installs at remote clients pushing out a BIOS update only to find this out when the machines didnt come back online. Yeah that was a bad day... Pfsense boots fine in UEFI mode...
  6. C

ESXI TrueNAS Core 13 VM, at my whit's end

Do you have more than one network interface or vlans attached to TrueNas? Are you accessing it across another VLAN or from outside the subnet it's on?
  7. C

TrueNAS Core - VLAN related errors transferring files via SMB.

Yup, it ended up being a routing issue but not a throughput issue. I changed the default gateway from the native VLAN's gateway IP to the firewall IP on a different VLAN and all the issues went away. Man I thought I had a better handle on routing than I do. Gotta do some continuing education on...
  8. C

TrueNAS Core - VLAN related errors transferring files via SMB.

I've got a couple of Dell R530's set up with TrueNAS Core and decided to try using the VLAN features to save some ports as 10G is limited in my environment. Each of the two TrueNAS servers is connected to an 8 port Unifi Aggregation switch via some Ubiquiti media converters. The servers have...
  9. C

Weird network performance issue under Hyper-V

Hahaha, yeah I know I know. "Starting" was a euphemism. Why not ESXi? Size of environment. If VMWare hadn't crippled the free version by not allowing API access I'd be all over that but I need to be able to do orderly shutdowns via a UPS and back VMs up with Veeam. That rules out ESXi as their...
  10. C

Correction. It's not Windows defender. Went bare-metal and all is good. I'm starting to hate Microsoft's lack of QC.
  11. C

I think I may have figured this out. Still doing checking but I think it's Windows Defender scanning the files and making CPU usage go nuts.
  12. C

Environment: Dell T30 Onboard Intel 219-LM NIC E3 1225 V5 16gb RAM 500gb Crucial MX500 for host OS 1tb Samsung 860 EVO for single VM Running Server 2019 Essentials with no additional roles than Hyper-V. Single VM running 2019 Essentials. Allocated 2 vCPUs (tried it with 4, no difference), 10gb...
  13. C

Memtest86 8.2 and PowerEdge T140 with Intel Xeon E-2136

Have not tried Memtest86+ but did try it on an identical model of server/board/bios but different CPU...
  14. C

Memtest86 8.2 and PowerEdge T140 with Intel Xeon E-2136

I just recently got a couple Poweredge T140 servers in for a couple clients. One has an i3 8100, the other has a Intel Xeon E-2136. The Xeon one fails every memory test I throw at it with Memtest86 8.2. I've replaced the RAM with known good RAM - including the RAM from the other T140 and it...
  15. C

Dell H730/H740 drive compatibility

That's good to know! Thank you for the feedback!
  16. C

What type of issues? I know not to mix and match SATA with SAS. What happens with SAS drives that are not Dell branded?
  17. C

Yeah I run 3x R720's here with H710 controllers on the latest firmware and I'm using Intel DC3700 SSDs and Seagate Enterprise 8tb drives and the only prompts I get are that the drives aren't certified (not that I give a rat's backside). That said, someone on Reddit was mentioning that. Here's a...
  18. C

Hey anyone know if Dell is back to blocking non-branded drives in their RAID controllers? I was reading something about them blocking consumer SSDs but was curious if they block enterprise drives like the HGST HC510. Any first hand experience one these two RAID controllers with non-Dell branded...
  19. C

Dell EMC PowerEdge R640 Review A Study in 1U Design Excellence

Own 3x R720's and after working with these vs a bunch of HP hardware, Dell is such a drastic improvement!