Search results

1. D

Poor 10gb Performance - Mellanox X-2 + UBNT US‑16‑XG

What iperf options are you using for the test? Try setting the tcp window size to 1MB and test again. What is the CPU on each side (client/server)? Reverse the iperf role and try again (client/server).
  2. D

Network related for an ambulance but don't know where else to ask

Just get the celular company to install a repeater so the cell router can work inside the building. Or tell the laptop to prefer the building WiFi over the cell router. You don't say what OS is on the laptop, but in Windows just edit the wireless connection so the SSID of the building is at...
  3. D

New 10Gbe install, wildly different speeds on similar hardware

Have you done any tuning? For Linux https://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/linux/ For Freebsd/FreeNAS https://fasterdata.es.net/host-tuning/freebsd/
  4. D

Choosing the right RJ 45 connectors for right cable?

It should state what it is made for. But in reality that only works for good quality manufacturers. The difference is that CAT6 should be a lower gauge wire (22-24GA vs 24-26GA). Using the wrong connector may lead to bad crimps/punches and a faulty cable/connector. Cable Gauge - The...
  5. D

[Question] Network Speed Issues (Dedicated Circuit) - Hardware Problem?

Or they are not passing fragments. I've seen that before What I would do is get the ISP to send out a tech and validate on your port the speed you are supposed to get. IE: make them validate it is good up to their demarc. If it is good up to their ethernet port, then you may have a problem...
  6. D

Banning a single Mac Address from a 1900 or 2900 Series Cisco Switch.

Not sure if it will work on your old switch, but look at the answer for Cisco Switch (Cayalyst 2960-X) How to add an access list to filter an ip based protocol such as l2tp packet with speical MAC address in it?
  7. D

Quanta LB6M (10GbE) -- Discussion

I suspect we will need dual rate SFP+ modules to even attempt 1G. 10G/1G Dual Rate (10GBASE-SR and 1000BASE-SX) 400m Multimode Datacom SFP+ Optical Transceiver | Finisar Corporation
  8. D

RSV-L4500 - Hot Swap Bays?

If you look at the manual (http://www.rosewill.com/media/Download_Files/user_manuals/usermanual-rsv-l4500.pdf) on pages 5 and 6, the 5 x 3.5" drive modules are the same size as 3 x 5.25" drive bays. The same size as the hotswap cages I listed above. I've used the SM hotswap cages in this...
  9. D

10gbit fiber with wall plate run question

These are cheaper if you are going to use the LC keystones: 2 Port Keystone Faceplate - Single Gang - White
  10. D

RSV-L4500 - Hot Swap Bays?

Sure. Even Rosewill makes one: Rosewill RSV-SATA-Cage-34 - Hard Disk Drives - Black, 3 x 5.25" to 4 x 3.5" Hot-Swap - SATA III / SAS - Cage - Newegg.com Or for an additional drive: SUPERMICRO CSE-M35T-1B 3 x 5.25" to 5 x 3.5" Hot-swap SATA HDD Trays - Newegg.com
  11. D

@redwing31: I have not been able to get any 1G SFP to work.
  12. D

Try with -l 8900 and work your way up in size by 10. When it stops, go down in size by 1 until it succeeds. Add 28 to that number and that is your IP MTU. Ping should add 28 bytes (IP Header and ICMP Header) to whatever number is in -l for the overall packet size.
  13. D

Look under Devices -> System Devices -> Chelsio S310 10G Ethernet Function Enumerator. Advanced Tab -> Ethernet Port X Mtu. Set to 9000 (max). Make sure to set Performance under Devices -> Network Adapters -> Chelsio XXXXX -> Advanced -> Optimization Mode. Latest driver for Win 7 is 1.5.13.46
  14. D

Mine shows default MTU is 1518. Do "show interface ethernet x/y" and look for "Max Frame Size................................. 1518" in the output.
  15. D

Running Cat5e to the attic

It is possible. Devices can be either Alternative A (power and data on the same pairs) or Alternative B (power separate from data) if they follow 802.3af. All depends on the PoE PSE and the PoE PD. I've seen some devices that are not 802.3af at all and just wire the unused pairs into a barrel...
  16. D

Running Cat5e to the attic

If you are doing PoE you will most likely need all 8 wires, 4 for data and 4 for power. Better check to make sure. Definitely pull extra so you have a spare when the squirrel decides to have a snack with your camera cable. :D
  17. D

It will do Jumbo but not by default. I assume you had both endpoints set Jumbo but not the switch.
  18. D

How do you label your cables?

They also make heatshrink tube labels. You get the nice printout of a label machine in a heatshrink that will never peel off.
  19. D

@derekvw91: Post your configs. I assume that your router is running DHCP on that segment and VLAN interface. Post the output of: "show vlan", "show vlan 5", "show vlan port all" As with #2 from @dwright1542: give the device a static IP in that subnet and see if you can ping the ip address of...
  20. D

Woops, I meant "no ip routing". You have L3 active on the switch. That should disable it. Since you have MACs on the switch. Layer 2 seems to be ok. And there is traffic on the ports. On the PC/Server try to ping the other and see if the ARP table shows the correct MAC to IP mapping.