Search results

1. D

Project TinyMiniMicro: Reviving Small Corporate Desktops

Another data point, my laptop is i7-6700HQ with HD 530 and I don't notice any issue with 4k @ 60hz. Only 2d desktop stuff, though, but it's fast dragging windows around. Connected via Thunderbolt to a docking station then Display Port then to a HDMI 2.0 adapter. Mostly using Linux, but have used...
  2. D

Cheap used M.2 NVMe Enterprise SSDs?

Hello, I sometimes buy cheap used PCs for client computers (like HP EliteDesk) and put used SATA enterprise SSDs in them. Intel DC S3500 and DC S3700 are ones that I've been able to get for really cheap off ebay. They often have only a couple percentages of their lifespan used. As NVMe SSDs...
  3. D

Hard Errors when napp-it checks SMART

Thanks. Today I tried the same procedure on a Seagate 600 Pro, connected to a different computer running SmartOS. This also behaves in the same way, with the Hard Error count going up by 4 every time this request is made, so it would appear to have something to do with the firmware design on...
  4. D

Hard Errors when napp-it checks SMART

I'm running a napp-it all-in-one with ESXi/OpenIndiana. Using a M1015 card for my drives. I have 5 hard drives in there and I recently added a SSD, a Seagate 600. I noticed that napp-it is logging Hard Errors when SMART is queried for this drive. I know about the problem with the increasing Soft...
  5. D

Xeon E3-1230 Temperatures

I installed the Hyper 212 Plus and things are running much better now. As a note to anyone else looking to install it on this motherboard, it fits OK (assuming you have enough clearance in your case), but if you try to install it in the standard "east-west" configuration with it blowing out the...
  6. D

Thanks for the responses. Since so many people think the stock heatsink is not very good, I decided that instead of taking the time to remove & reinstall the stock, for $20 I ordered the Hyper 212+ which looks to have really good reviews, and has a lot better mounting system. It will be a pain...
  7. D

I recently bought a Xeon E3-1230, running on a Supermicro X9SCM-F motherboard, as seems to be a pretty common setup around here. As my usual practice with a new system, I proceeded to run some stress tests under 100% load to make sure the system does not have a fault that will appear later...