Search results

1. D

Z9100 or S5148?

I got a great deal on a Dell S5248 with a perpetual OS10 license. I'd like to try VTL with more switches. Looks like the best deals out there now that have 100G ports are the Z9100 and S5148, which are pretty close in price. Any thoughts on which one to buy, and why?
  2. D

2 node ESXi HC cluster 25GbE switch recommendation?

We're upgrading our 2 node Stormagic ESXi HC cluster, currently running dual stacked ICX6610's for 10GbE core switching, 12x10GbE ports total. We're upgrading to 25GbE. So we need 6x25GbE ports per switch, Layer 3 switching for 3 VLAN's. So the 25GbE are iscsi, and then 10GbE downlinks to...
  3. D

Reliable 10TB SAS ebay vendor?

Since the last 20 drives I bought came from the seller that everyone has now had issues with. Does anyone have a current recommendation?
  4. D

NVME M.2 recommendation

Trying out the new Highpoint SSD6200 with some NVME as a datastore for production ESXi servers. Gives me redundant NVME, which is superb. However, I'm not going to be able to monitor the health of the individual devices, so I want higher DWPD, and distinct manufacturers of M.2 NVME. Any...
  5. D

25G/40G Switch recommendation 2022?

Time to move up from 10G. ICX6610 core switches now, would like to move up to something faster. Should have at least 12 of the faster ports, and I'd prefer them to be stackable, although that's not a deal killer. What are you folks seeing out there? I suspect 40G is going to be cheaper, which...
  6. D

M.2 RAID1 Card recommendation

Can anyone recommend an M.2 PCIE card with RAID1? I'll be running these under ESXi.
  7. D

Leaving Ubiquiti finally. Had enough. Anyone use either the Meraki Go or Aruba Instant On competitors?

We use these for access level switches and AP's. I love the single pane of glass for those. Does anyone regularly use the similarly priced Meraki and Aruba offerings?
  8. D

Equallogic Type 10 Firmware

Anyone have the Equallogic Type 10 new firmware? I just upgraded from Type 4 to 10 to get 10Gbit, but the controllers came with ancient firmware.
  9. D

ESXi 6.0 GPU Passthru + Hw Virtualization

My USB boot drive crapped out and I had to re-install ESXi and import the vmx files. Prior to the crapout, I had my workstation running perfectly with a K2200 GPU passed thru and HW Virtualization enabled (for nested Virtualbox, Bluestacks, etc) Now I cannot for the life of me get it to work...
  10. D

Best NAS software as VM guest to host iSCSI SAN

I've got a production Hyperconverged ESXi system, and a fairly loaded (but out of warranty)HP SAN that I'd like to use for Veeam backups. However, I don't want to direct mount it as a Windows drive..too much risk with Windows. SMB / CIFS would be fine. it's already an iSCSI datastore...I...
  11. D

Best practice ESXi and stacked redundant switches

Just added some 40G stacked Brocades to the lab here. What is best practice for redundant NIC's going to the same switch? vsphere 6.7 1. I have RSTP turned on 2. I had 2 10G NIC's Active / Active 3. I did NOT have the ports set to edge ports (DUH) 4. Had load balancing set to route based...
  12. D

FS: (2) R730xd, 2680v3,192GB, Warranty 1/2022

Consolidated locations, so I have 2 surplus R730xd's for sale. R730xd 24x 2.5" Chassis (2) E5-2680v3 192GB RAM Perc R730 2GB 20x1TB SAS 7.2K 4x400GB Dell DC3610 idrac Enterprise Onsite warranty good until 01/2022 , transferable since I'm the original owner. PM if you need pictures, or Service...
  13. D

400ft new fiber run thoughts?

I'm replacing some OM1 fiber with new fiber, between ICX6610's to stack at 40Gig. Plan is to get some preterminated fiber with pull ends, and run it thru the existing conduit. I have 3 options: there will be 2 different lines run for redundancy 1. MTP (cheap transceivers, expensive OM4 fiber...
  14. D

Firewalls with Filtering?

I've been using Sonicwalls for ages. Particularly for content filtering, Malware, and edge level AV. However, small clients are getting fast enough (1Gb) connections that even mid level Sonicwalls aren't remotely fast enough. And the cost for maintaining the large ones are prohibitive...
  15. D

Vega mining Monero7 with xmr-stak stabiltity?

Uh yeah. so after the split and an the xmr-stak upgrade, my vega (all 64's) will NOT stay up. JJ's script runs fine, but STAK just flat out hangs up. The machine doesn't freeze, and I can kill STAK and restart. The most I've gotten this week is MAYBE 6 hours up. Anyone else see this too?
  16. D

Rogue-ish SSID similar to real SSID

So I have a restaurant client in a very dense commercial strip that gives out Wifi to customers. Someone has setup an SSID with a very close name. It's not one the same network, but I suspect they are trolling for data. Anything I can do? I suspect not.
  17. D

WTF happened to XMR difficulty today?

35-45? Slid almost everything over to AEON for now. Cripes. Did I miss something?
  18. D

MSI Black Vega 64 Newegg Ebay $499 Max 3

MSI Black Radeon RX Vega 64 DirectX 12 RADEON RX VEGA 64 8G 8GB 2048-Bit HBM2 PC | eBay
  19. D

Anyone jumping into BTG tomorrow?

Mining starts tomorrow....any thoughts from fellow STH'ers?
  20. D

WTH Just happened to the price of ATI cards again?

2 weeks ago I bought a bunch of RX480 / 580 8G's on Ebay for $225ish. Newegg had powercolor 8G's for $259 last week that were capped at 5 units (wish I had gotten a friend to buy 5 more) Now...they went crazy again this week.