Search results

1. L

ZFS Allocation Classes / Special VDEV

Thank you for your answer gea. a. I made a mistake in my code. I meant zfs send poolname/mydataset poolname/mydataset_special zfs destroy -r poolname/mydataset zfs rename poolname/mydataset_special poolname/mydataset b. I saw your tests at http://napp-it.org/doc/downloads/special-vdev.pdf...
  2. L

ZFS Allocation Classes / Special VDEV

Hi, I just discovered that ZFS on Linux had support for allocation classes since version 0.8.0 :rolleyes:. Before knowing this, I already moved my NAS in order to upgrade the pool layout in order to get better performances (raidz2 -> striped mirrors). I would like to install a mirrored special...
  3. L

HP ML350P Gen8 Fan replacement

I have an update from my side as well. I didn't get an email notification from all your replies. Sorry to be late to the party. For the stock plate blocking the cooler I experienced the same issue with some noctua cpu cooler. I was hitting 90°C and thus shutting down. Then I did something I...
  4. L

Mikrotik CRS317-1G-16S+RM / 10GbE

I thought I'd share my experience with this switch. I connected 2 rooms in my flat over existing ~20-30m CAT 5e (UTP I think) using 2 x Mikrotik S+RJ10 (1 on each end). I was able to manage a link between the switches at 1gbps, 2.5gbps and 5.0gbps. It would be very unstable and not usable at...
  5. L

HP ML350P Gen8 Fan replacement

Hi, I'm currently in the same situation. Did you figure something out? I doubt it's a PCIe connector (the PCIe power connector is much thicker). I found many posts in the internet talking about grounding two pins together (rotation detect and ground I think) which seems to make believe the...
  6. L

10gbe IPoIB (Infiniband) bridge

No worries ;). In the end I decided to bite the bullet and buy it along with some S+RJ10 adapters in order to interconnect the rooms. For now I only bought one switch though. I will likely need at least 2 (I guess a 3rd one won't be needed but let's see about that :D).
  7. L

@Rand_: any other ideas or the Mikrotik can't really be beaten for the price?
  8. L

Depends how much you use the smart/managed features of your switch I guess. If you use VLAN, set up QOS, ... then yes you don't want to learn 3 different brands and 10 different models ... At the moment I'm not looking too much into VLAN (yet?) so this is less of an issue to me. Anyway I guess...
  9. L

They are a consideration in my situation. This is why I find the Brocade not optimals ... Although very likely 2 separate units will end up using more power than a single combined one :(
  10. L

Although the Brocade seem interesting in the US, I think that once you add the import duties, customs and shipping you get down to ~ 400$ for the ICX6610. For the same price I could get the mikrotik which is a newer unit, is silent and has 2 years warranty. You could tell me that for the same...
  11. L

@fsck: What do you mean? Do you mean for the US-16-XG ? I think those units also had issues with the RJ45 connectors failing to auto negotiate or something ... In any case I'm going to order on FS.com for the SFP+ cables ;).
  12. L

If anybody got any better idea than buying 3 Mikrotik units which would total at 1140 CHF (3 switches) + 228CHF (3 S+RJ10 adapters) which is still about 450 CHF less than the US-16-XG. Or do you believe the US-16-XG is overall a better unit? I have about 10 devices from ubiquiti and they all...
  13. L

I don't think so Rand_. I already thought and bought card for LACP (several quad ports Intel based) but this doesn't really scale well when only one client needs more than 1gbps (exception: maybe Samba, see below). As far as I know: - Samba doesn't support Multi-channel well on Linux (although...
  14. L

For the moment just building them (only have 4 running). It's all part of a distcc cluster to compile Gentoo for each architecture I have (especially embedded, ARM, ...):cool: As for the "why in the living room" it's because I'm renting an apartment and cannot destroy walls to do as I want :D...
  15. L

Could the MIKROTIK CRS317-1G-16S+RM otherwise be an option for 340 CHF?
  16. L

Are there 2.5/5gbe Switches :o ? I thought it was kind of a "proprietary" protocol found in the latest "cheap" (and crappy, since they seem to fail quite early) 2.5/5.0/10gbe adapters from ASUS. I would say I need 3-4gbe from every client to the master, but then of course the master will become...
  17. L

Well I'm currently expanding and buying lots of X10 boars and E3 v3 CPUs second hand. Quote cheap and IMHO good price/performance/power consumption ratio. Budget: I don't know honestly. The US-16-XG didn't look bad but I thought that it didn't make much sense because I would need to purchase...
  18. L

The other alternative at this point, instead of daisy chaining sfp+ cards, would be an ATX SFP+ Linux router/switch. I have some FX-8150 or FX-8350 ATX boards where I could put like 4 or 5 PCIe cards in. Trouble then becomes power consumption most likely :(. I don't have other ATX hardware that...
  19. L

That's what I thought :(. This setup is for the living room and for the office. Noise has to be pretty low.
  20. L

Wow that's cheap. Although add like 50% more for shipping and customs to switzerland :(. May be worth to buy like 5 of these in one go though :). Too bad I already bought 3 x Intel X540 for that very purpose :(. The cheapest RJ45 to SFP+ module was like 200$ I think of FS ... Still the...