Search results

1. D

WTB xeon e5 v3/4 + DDR4

I have been given a dual socket 2011v3 board but I have no way to test it at the moment so I don't know if I'm holding a dud. Unfortunately I don't have the cash right now to pay £100 or more a CPU so if anyone has any really cheap compatible CPUs and RAM spare I would love to hear from you...
  2. D

IBM G8124 Managed Blade 24 Port 10G SFP+ Switch

This stood out for me on the product blurb: "Lower power and better cooling: The G8124E uses as little power as two 60 W light bulbs, which is a fraction of the power consumption of most competitive offerings." I didn't know exactly what to make of it, but it seemed as if the marketing...
  3. D

Thanks for that, it's that kind of info that makes coming here worthwhile. I had a look at the info on the lenovo site for the switch, but I don't have enough experience searching for used networking gear to know if this is a decent deal or not. I imagine it comes down to features and what sort...
  4. D

I'm not quite ready for 10GbE yet but I know people here are looking for 10gig switches. I'm not sure if this is a good deal or not but it seems worth sharing. IBM G8124 90Y9449 Managed Blade 24 Port 10G SFP+ Switch 7309-BF9 46M2193 90Y9452 $489.99 BO or submit your best offer, 4 in stock.
  5. D

Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

Sorry, I didn't actually read the whole thread, I just saw the requirements list and thought for sure I had seen a board that met them. :oops::rolleyes: I'll just back slowly away into the shadows now...
  6. D

Super cheap Supermicro Superserver! 1U w/ 8x 2.5" bay & X8DTL

The Gigabyte GA-7PESH2 ticks all the boxes except the SFP+ requirement I think. Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2600 & E5-2600 V2 product families 16 x RDIMM/UDIMM ECC DIMM slots 2 x 10GbE BASE-T LAN ports (Intel® X540-AT2) 2 x SATA III 6Gb/s + 4 x SATA II 3Gb/s 8 x SAS 6Gb/s
  7. D

Desktop upgrade

Sounds like a decent upgrade. I'm not sure I would call it overkill, maybe future-proof if browsing is your only need, but not overkill. Disclaimer: Overkill and hardware cannot exist in the same space in my mind. There is only hardware... glorious, glorious hardware!
  8. D

EU 336TB storage 'only' £80,400.00

Those were my thoughts exactly.
  9. D

EU 336TB storage 'only' £80,400.00

I saw this on eBay and had to share it. I would love to have this much storage, I can already picture myself downloading all the internets! On a slightly more serious note, I don't know if it is a good deal or not but I was thinking that if it doesn't sell as a whole then perhaps the seller...
  10. D

A warning for people looking at Netgear 10G gear

I started reading this expecting doom and gloom but them sending you custom firmware specifically to resolve your issue sounds like a massive result!
  11. D

Dell warranty - replacement CPU

That was my thinking too. I was hoping to find some way of determining whether or not the CPU in particular was covered in case I do have a cpu related problem in the future. Mostly it is for peace of mind. I don't know a great deal about the specifics of the Dell warranty. Thank you to...
  12. D

This is the sort of thing i was talking about Intel Xeon X5460 3.16GHz 12M 1333MHz Quad-Core LGA771 CPU Processor (SLANP) - in the listing the CPU has a sticker on it. I'm unfamiliar with the newer Dell models so I didn't know if they applied similar ID to the CPUs installed in their servers...
  13. D

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The CPU is standard Intel. What I mean is the warranty on the server only applies to OEM parts. Previously I have upgraded CPUs in an IBM server using their CPU upgrade kits and said CPUs come with barcode stickers on them to say they are 'IBM' parts. I could have...
  14. D

Previously I was using IBM machines where genuine CPUs had stickers on the edge (x3650m3 with x5600 series CPUs) but there doesn't seem to be anything like that on this machine Xeon 2600v3s
  15. D

I recently picked up a used server which is still covered by Dell support. When I check the service tag the listed specs show that the two CPUs installed are not the original ones, everything else except the RAM for CPU 1 is in the original spec and that RAM is clearly labeled as Dell so I'm...
  16. D

Diy sos

DIY SOS Server Edition PARTS Build’s Name: N/A Operating System/ Storage Platform: I have access to MSDN Subscription / Open Source software CPU: (3) Xeon L5630 Xeon E5606 Xeon E5504 Motherboard: Included in each chassis Chassis: 2U IBM X3650 M3 1U IBM X3550 M3 1U...