Search results

1. S

Cheap computer with ECC RAM support for scientific computation

I realised that I also need to look for UPS. People on inet say that pure sine wave is a must for any modern power supply. Is that true? How much VA and Watts do I need to look for TS140, T20 or some microcerver? In what range is the coefficient multiple between VA and Watts for a server? Where...
  2. S

I meant I would take it with xeon installed
  3. S

Couldn't find how to PM, sorry. I am currently looking for a deal with xeon. Can you install xeon in it?
  4. S

I use 2 completely different environment: with one it is pretty easy to parallelize to lots of cores (for this usecase I use the cluster) and with the 2nd environment parallelization is a nightmare (probably not possible at all). My supervisor usually wants me to implement same algorithm in both...
  5. S

Do supermicro motherboards have standard power connector? Does supermicro refers to form factor/brand etc? I am getting lost:)
  6. S

How did you get them so cheap? did you buy them directly from Dell?
  7. S

Thanks. I think link under "adapter cable" still wrong. it leads to adapter "to connect two Clarion marine wired remote controls to one Clarion marine receiver":)
  8. S

How does it work? do they sell it via some system? do people ship normally or local pickup only?
  9. S

Neither of above links lead to a particular product. Please give a correct link. I know there are adapters on eBay, I bought the attached adapter for 10-year old Dell motherboard and it did not fit (pictures are from ebay). Therefore I am pretty pessimistic on this. May be it will fit for above...
  10. S

Thank you for so many details! According to PassMark - Intel Xeon L5640 @ 2.27GHz - Price performance comparison single thread performance of the above cpu is very low. What is the best cpu (wrt single threaded performance) I can put into the motherboard you advise?
  11. S

Yeah I am thinking about Lenovo server from sale, but afraid of their incompatibility. If power supply dies, I will have to throw away a motherboard at least. Do you which power connector is in the servers you mentioned above? Or have you tried any adapter for above Dell servers?
  12. S

Hello, I am assembling a CHEAP (at most 300$ for CPU+MB+8GB ECC RAM for US market) computer for long-term numerical computations under linux (which may take a month and longer). I have access to good cluster but there is a time limit for a job, therefore I need a reliable computer for single...