Search results

1. RobertFontaine

To Good to Be Trues on Fleabay

I have been quietly ordering hard drives at too good to be true prices. The sellers have the exact same format: several for sale and a limit of 1 per buyer every 10 days. They are shipping without providing tracking. The sellers of course have little or no selling history. With 180 day...
  2. RobertFontaine

Email Service Providers

I am currently using a SMTP relay from one of my DNS providers My actual volume of email is trivially small; server notification, personal email, micro-business email, swmbo vanity email. Been reading all the things. G Suite, Office 365, FastMail, ProtonMail, MXRoute, DigitalOcean VPS...
  3. RobertFontaine

AlphaGo beat Ke Ji like a drum

The first game seemed like a game between two professionals. This second game took Ke Ji to places where he simply couldn't follow. When AlphaGo originally came out it was essentially running on a bank of supercomputers. This time it was running on a single node. Once a few grad students...
  4. RobertFontaine

WD Red Pro 10TB

On one hand I want a dozen on the other... As these beasts keep growing I find myself wondering how the heck you rebuild your file system when they finally do fail? In my lab environment data is essentially disposable but in a production environment rebuilding 10TB drives has to become a major...
  5. RobertFontaine

Tgtbt - HGST Ultrastar 3TB pulls - 10.92

HGST Ultrastar 3 TB 3.5" Internal Hard Drive 7200 RPM 0F17731 (Pulled Drive) | eBay Seller Monoprice To good to be true. I ordered 10 and am tempted to order another 10 before I post this.
  6. RobertFontaine

HGST 3 and 4 TB price to buy?

Best price's I can find are right around $20/TB Is there any good reason to wait for a sale or is this close to the bottom? Thanks, rob
  7. RobertFontaine

SUPERMICRO MOTHERBOARD X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.10 Dual Socket LGA 2011 R

SUPERMICRO MOTHERBOARD X9DRi-LN4F+ Rev 1.10 Dual Socket LGA 2011 R Working pull | eBay Very tempted to grab one of these.
  8. RobertFontaine

Hard Drive Collection... 4-5TB drives

I need to start my spinny disk collection this month so I can offload my ssd for a mirrored zfs pool. As much as I like the 8TB disks a dozen 4 or 5's in a couple of zfs raidz pools is enough disk to keep me amused and by the time I need more 8TB disks will get cheaper. So... What is the...
  9. RobertFontaine

doh! - Realized I had the wrong cables last night - LSI 9340-8i

Do I need the SFF 8643's or the 8644's? Thanks, Robert
  10. RobertFontaine

Windows Restart Challenges - Power Cycle required - BIOS?

This one has been bugging me for a while. When I do a Windows 10 restart (Yes I know what the first problem is) it powers down rather than restarts. Supermicro X9DRG. I have played around with the BIOS off and on for the last several months... Setting Optimal... Tweaking, Poking...
  11. RobertFontaine

Supermicro 835xtq 3U "11 PCI Slots"

I noticed that this enclosure supports a motherboard with the same dimensions as the X9/X10DRG-QF's and got a bit excited. Is it possible to retrofit a residential power supply and fans into one of these enclosures to bring the volume down while still getting adequate cooling? or are the sq...
  12. RobertFontaine

Mixing Metal and Virtualization Confusion

Everyone else is moving to the cloud... and I am building a hardware lab. Everyone else is aggregating servers... and I am building more servers. Maybe at some point I start moving them back into one box but at this point I'm still a bit confused around what actually makes sense in the dungeon...
  13. RobertFontaine

Canada FS: 32GB 8x4GB ECC DDR3

IBM Branded/Micron 2Rx4 PC3-10600R-9-10-J0 MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4F1DD 1022 I had 64GB of this running in my x9drg before I upgraded to 8GB simms. Found it when looking for cables this morning. $75CAD shipped to Canuckistan or $50USD plus actual shipping to Murika.
  14. RobertFontaine

Nagios Blessing or Curse

I am in the midst of installing and configuring Nagios in my dungeon lab ( A mix of virtualized servers, assorted hardware, router, switch and growing ). I was looking at Zabbix and thinking that it looked kind of nice but then I looked at Nagios and saw an infinite community of...
  15. RobertFontaine

10GBe vs 40GB infiniband eob?

In practice in terms of latency and actual throughput, how close are these two? Thanks, R
  16. RobertFontaine

Rack Mount Gear - Making the Transition in the Dungeon

First it was the SM X9DRG and I got a giant Lian Li case, then it was a HP switch that I have bolted to one of the undersides of my shelf. Now it's an X10DRG and a desire for an SC846, an SC216 in SAS 2 an LB6M, and a poe switch for cameras and APs . That's getting to 20U without my stack...
  17. RobertFontaine

Intel NIC Teaming on Windows 10

The new drivers (22.1) include nic teaming for the i350 mics. Life is beautiful I say to myself. I have a Supermicro board w/ dial NICS that I am trying to aggregate to my HP 1810g-24. I have set up a static trunk on ports 3&4 on the switch. In windows 10, I have created Team 0, with...
  18. RobertFontaine

Proxmox FreeNAS confusion

I could use a bit of defuddling, or is it unbefuddling? I've got a fair bit of Pfsense configured and have started looking at NAS and Virtualization Platforms. I looked at FreeNAS and said to myself.... ZFS and various file serving plugins... looks good. Then I looked at Proxmox and said to...
  19. RobertFontaine

Mounting a zfs pool on a different server

I'd like to jump the gun a little and put my ssds on an lsi card in hba mode and zfs them with a vm in freenas on my current hardware. I will have hardware in a couple of months to relocate the server. Is it a big effort to move the vm/lba/ssds to the new physical server or will I have to...
  20. RobertFontaine

Xeon 2011-v3 - How slow is too slow?

I'm bought into a too good to pass V3/V4 motherboard (X10DRG to replace my X9DRG) today and am now bargain shopping fleabay for QS V3 chips. Xeon E5-2669 - 12C 2.3 GHz $400 Xeon E5 - 2673 - 12C 2.4GHz 509 Xeon E5-2685- 12C 2.6 GHz 560 Xeon E5-2683 - 14C 2.0GHZ prod $465 Xeon E5-2686 -- 18C...