Search results

1. M

OpenIndiana runs very slowly with M1015 cards installed

So far, nothing is helping out here. - Directly attached display, keyboard and mouse vs IPMI: makes no difference - One, two or three M1015 cards installed: no change - Other slots: not available - Flash to IT mode: done, no change For the sake of completeness, I tested booting to DOS or...
  2. M

OpenIndiana runs very slowly with M1015 cards installed

Now that I've had a week of testing under my belt I think I can ask this question with a straight face: is there anything that can be done to fix the abysmal speed of just running OI on a system with IBM M1015 HBA cards installed? Since putting them (a total of 3) into my new system, the OS...
  3. M

What's the "right" configuration with RAID-Z?

Got it. I have it all setup now and will be posting more information once I get things stabilized. Thanks for all the help!
  4. M

Thanks for that practical and clear comparison! So the 8x2TB Z2 is a single zpool, single vdev setup? Do I need to fiddle with ZFS folders or datasets? I'm using NAPP-IT so this is all new to me. Now I'm really showing my lack of ZFS knowledge, sadly. I was leaning toward the 8x2TB setup but...
  5. M

That's some helpful data, thank you. However, even though I've read through all that information I'm still a bit puzzled on what to do. One article seems to say multiple Z1 vdevs are the way to go. So I should do two sets of 4x2TB RAID-Z1? Another article indicates that a single, large Z2...
  6. M

It feels like I am getting closer to the end of my build process for a new NAS running ZFS, so I am asking for a little bit of help to get it all wrapped up. This question is specifically about which drive + RAIDZ configuration I should aim for with this box. Originally I thought that I...
  7. M

SMB reads are slow on OpenIndiana + NAPP-IT

Well, I goofed up on providing that info and I've now changed the configuration on that server, so shame on me. I believe the test file (M2TS) I was using was 3.55 GB in size (according to Win7). I'm doing some other testing on that box at the moment but as soon as I free it up again I will be...
  8. M

Storage server build suggestions?

Wow, that's a lot of feedback. Thanks for the input. I did decide to get (and now have) the Norco 4224, if only for the reason that I could actually get it in a reasonable time period. Much like the SuperMicro motherboard, I was calling all over creation trying to find a single vendor that had...
  9. M

Interesting data point, thank you. Read speeds seem fine using the default Win7 copy routine. For the sake of future searchers, I performed some quick follow up tests that show reads are pretty bad with other copy methods, too. Command Prompt Win7 Copy Win7 to OI: 32.9 seconds OI to Win7...
  10. M

Hello all, I am finishing up my build of a brand new NAS box and I am doing the first round of testing on it. So far I've found one sticky issue that seems to be pestering me: reads from the NAS to my Win7 boxes are half the speed of writes to the same share directory. Here's some...
  11. M

I'm not sure how to tell which side (OS or M1015) is the problem. Yes, the OS boot time is a bit slower, but once in the OS everything that happens there seems slower. Attempting to open a shell window, Firefox or the Driver Installer is an exercise in extreme patience.
  12. M

OK, I just got the PSU and M1015 cards in and they are now running. I'm waiting on the Norco case and 120mm fan card to arrive before I order up the cables. In the meantime I am curious about this: - I installed the two M1015 cards and now OpenIndiana boots like molasses running uphill in the...
  13. M

I'm unsure if I want to fiddle around with ESXi. I was really hoping this would be a less complicated storage box than what I had before. Maybe I'll play around with it over the weekend and see if its worth the work it takes to learn it. Perhaps I'll have better luck with OI now that I have...
  14. M

Thanks to feedback in this forum, I now have or will have the following parts in hand for this server build: - Supermicro X9SCM-F - Intel Xeon E3-1230 - 16GB DDR3 ECC RAM - 2x IBM M1015 - Norco 4224 chassis - Norco 120mm fan bracket - 80+ PSU (600 watt) I'm still tracking down the following...
  15. M

Thanks for that info on the x4 PCI-e compatibility! That is excellent to know and isn't something I could find throughout my day of Google searches. I will investigate that motherboard and see if that makes my short list of equipment for the build. The feedback is the reason why I came to this...
  16. M

One additional question from my searches: does a motherboard exist that has 3 actual electrical x8 PCI-E slots? My reading indicates that the M1015 card requires x8 electrical slots, but maybe that isn't correct? So far every motherboard I've found has at most 1 x16 and 1 x8 or 2 x8 and 1 x4...
  17. M

More good info here, thanks all. I will look into all of this information and report back here when I think I have a reasonable build to put together.
  18. M

OK, thanks for this first set of feedback. I'll need to investigate the whole M1015 card thing as that was the one area I was hoping to avoid. Ebay has been a sketchy provider of parts for me in the past and my Google searches turn up stories of people having some problems after flashing the...
  19. M

Hello server experts! I am looking for advice to build a long-term, stable, sustainable storage server for my home. My years of individual, retired PC part built servers must come to an end and I am looking for some assistance to build the right solution for my needs. Currently I have a...