Search results

1. H

Celestica Seastone DX010 32-Port 100G QSFP28 ONIE Switch

Dang, I should've been more patient. Mine's a 2018 build but still has the older stepping. No issues yet.
  2. H

WTB WW Smartnic

There is also a BF2 "reference platform" with 100gbe if that suits you better. It's only $1900 plus $700 shipping! That unit has the DFU built into the motherboard, then it's got PCIe slots for storage controllers (or GPUs), and 2.5" NVMe trays up front. https://www.ebay.com/itm/233670067459
  3. H

WTB WW Smartnic

I came across a BF-2 w/ 25gbe on ebay for $600 (less than half what all the rest are listed for). Shipping hurts a bit, it's in Israel. Looks to still be available, and I definitely do not need to add any more expensive projects to my plate. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234487057266
  4. H

Gigabyte MB51-PS0 Review The Big Intel Xeon D Platform

What is the connector in the corner of the board above the 10GBASE-T ports?
  5. H

I am confused: Can someone summarize what linux docker is ?

This came up on Hacker News today, and has some good background information on how Linux containers (and Docker) work at a low level: Fewbytes/rubber-docker
  6. H

Extra eBay bucks now through 3/7 at 1159pm PT

Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it's 8% if you use the app versus the web site, as well.
  7. H

How many people are mining on NVIDIA 10 series GPUs?

I have a 1070 (and 3 AMD cards) mining eth. If I had more 10-series cards, I'd probably split them off to mine something else. For now, simplicity wins. :)
  8. H

Patrick's HP ZBook Studio G3 15.6 Mobile Workstation

I'd never paid for that kind of warranty before, but my refurbished XPS15 came with on-site service. I'd have happily wrenched on it myself, but getting parts so fast is pretty awesome!
  9. H

40GBE/100GBE Upgrade on the cheap

I was curious about this too, and Arista's data sheet says "Typical / Maximum Power Draw* 192W / 303W"
  10. H

STH Aeon Mining Pool Beta Access

I would like to join the pool. XMR difficulty is killing me. (Yes, it took me this long to do the math and realize I'm barely making a profit anymore)
  11. H

Suggestions on a new AIO Printer for home office

It's been a long time since I've had an inkjet printer. Since I don't print often, I've been very happy with my Canon monochrome laser AIO, an MF4370DN. I'd be curious to hear how your modern inkjet works out for occasional use, since my older units have always clogged up after sitting around...
  12. H

Monero trading

My personal preference is to trade it on an exchange (I've used Kraken in the past, and Poloniex more recently) for BTC or ETH, transfer that immediately to Coinbase, and sell the BTC/ETH there for USD. This is mainly because I'm skeptical of exchange security and Coinbase has been solid for me...
  13. H

POWER RANT

Are you in a remote-ish area? Although it seems odd, I think that even the power company smart meters transmit the data wirelessly to pole-mounted receivers. If signal strength is an issue, the utility might not get real time data. In a situation like that, the "smart" meter still makes it...
  14. H

Chelsio T320 dual SFP+ & 2 transceivers - 32 $

FWIW, both of my cards came with Avago transceivers (AFBR-703ASDZ-E2)
  15. H

Google Fi info/opinions !

Yeah, no kidding! I love PIA, but haven't used it on my mobile devices. Curious how the Android app works now. I'm used to seeing the monitoring warning for user-added certificates when using intercepting proxies with mobile apps, but I would have hoped a VPN app would fare better! I do recall a...
  16. H

Google Fi info/opinions !

Basically, what Stammes said. I've been on Fi since I got my Nexus 6P (year and a half, I guess?). Some things I like about it: The fine-grained, metered billing - I typically use 1-2GB, so it's cheap. I don't have to juggle plans if I have a heavy month. Google Voice features, like "Visual...
  17. H

Potential Deal: 2 x Dual 2011 nodes @$199, Quanta Openrack

Agreed, that is very cool. Maybe I DO need five more of these, after all. :D