Search results

1. P

SuperMicro & low-RPM fans

They're Lower Non-Recoverable (Low NR), Lower Critical (Low CT), Lower Non-Critical (Low NC).
  2. P

ipmiutil can also set the thresholds. See Supermicro fan control, IPMIUTIL or FEEIPMI? | Page 3 | FreeNAS Community. List the fan thresholds: ipmiutil.exe sensor -N <BMC host> -U <user> ADMIN -Y -c -g fan -v
  3. P

You're still not root while trying to run privileged operations. Take Introduction to Linux.
  4. P

There's ipmiutil for Windows, if that's easier.
  5. P

Network is irrelevant when using IPMI locally and it's only relevant for the BMC when using it remotely.
  6. P

It really isn't that difficult but you still don't have an IPMI device to talk to (/dev/ipmi0). So... reboot, if practical, to get a clean start and run: reset; sudo modprobe -av ipmi_msghandler ipmi_si ipmi_devintf; lsmod | grep ipmi; dmesg | grep ipmi Show us the output. And it's sudo...
  7. P

sudo modprobe ipmi_devintf
  8. P

I just noticed that my X9 mb names the fans with a space ("FAN 1") while my X10 doesn't ("FAN1").
  9. P

I think it's a lower hard limit no matter what the limit is set to via the BMC. I wonder if it's possible to change the limits in NVRAM without a BMC...
  10. P

Try for a list of sensors ipmitool -I lanplus -H <ipmi host> -U <user> -P <password> sensor or ipmitool sensor
  11. P

Seems Supermicro has set a hard lower RPM limit too: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - FAQ Entry
  12. P

Correct. I got the impression you were trying to lower the fan speed, not that it was ramping.
  13. P

It's for configuring over the LAN (-I lanplus). You have to replace nas-sol with your own hostname or IP address. You can also run it as root on the server, which saves you some arguments: ipmitool sensor thresh FAN1 lower 300 300 400 ipmitool sensor thresh FAN2 lower 300 300 400 ipmitool...
  14. P

Lowering a threshold doesn't lower fan RPM, the thresholds are for sensor warnings. The fan controller actually ignores the thresholds, which is why I have to lower them to not trigger the warnings.
  15. P

The BMC also has three fan profiles. What you're missing are fan thresholds (i.e. warnings) that kick the fans into full speed.
  16. P

No, those are BMC settings. Look for fan settings in BIOS instead.
  17. P

[Advice] DIY NAS with 8-bay for home streaming

As others have pointed out; don't buy SMR drives for a NAS. The WDC Red drives are probably a good pick but I'd buy HGST for faster drives. ECC RAM is a must in a serious NAS. IPMI is really nice to have. An overpowered PSU is inefficient.
  18. P

The changes are persistent, like all other settings like network and users. I guess there's a risk losing them when upgrading the IPMI firmware.
  19. P

I've built a Supermicro Avoton NAS with two Noctua NF-A9 PWM and one Noctua NF-A14 PWM. Also had the fan problem but configured the RPM thresholds according to the fan specs like this: ipmitool -I lanplus -H nas-sol -U ADMIN -P ADMIN sensor thresh FAN1 lower 300 300 400 ipmitool -I lanplus -H...