Search results

1. T

Dual SFP+ ports on Ga-MZ31-AR0

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but how can someone who gets a very expensive server grade motherboard and highest end CPU not know what SFP+ is? I for one know much more than my wallet would ever allow me to experience first hand and I'm kind of jealous of you. :D
  2. T

Truly quiet Supermicro 826/836/846?

As an update to this I managed to cram 8x 3.5", 2x 2.5" into a Fractal Design R5 case to start running badblocks on the drives. For a consumer case it has a decent setup of fans and drive bays but drive temps are still between 32-36 degrees with the 2x 120mm front fans running full speed. It's...
  3. T

You mean I can't have both compact and quiet!? :'( :D To be honest excessive noise would be a deal breaker for sure. It's hard to beat the setup I'm using now since it's much smaller (only 2x HDD) and in a consumer chassis with rubber mounted disks and slow running fans. I'll be using 6x 8TB...
  4. T

Thanks for your input i386! I'm leaning toward the 846 despite the extra cost for the reasons you outline as well. Looking forward to having server grade hardware at home finally!
  5. T

I'll be running virtualized FreeNAS under Proxmox (or ESXi) for now. Supermicro X11 mATX + E3-1240v5 + 64GB + m1015. Edit: SSD is a good question and why I'm not sure about how many bays I would need. Right now the 2x2.5" hotswap bays in the rear would suffice for OS/VM storage but as prices...
  6. T

Hey guys, I would love to convert all of my random computer equipment into 19" rack format to make it easier to manage and hopefully require a bit less space. As I live in an apartment with very limited space for equipment I would need to keep the rack/cabinet in the living room and as a...
  7. T

ELI5: Why are YOU mining crypto currency?

Thank you for your replies. One more question for you, do you convert the coins to $$$ as soon as you have mined them or are you holding on to them to speculate?
  8. T

ELI5: Why are YOU mining crypto currency?

I'll be the first to admit I have not been keeping up on the why's and how's of mining crypto currencies. So I'm curious as to why so many are interested in it and how you go about it. I could see two reasons why I'd get into it myself: Pure curiosity or if I was convinced it served a good...
  9. T

ZFS server - hard/software components

I've owned the very same case for a brief period and would advice you to steer clear of that case: Drives are hard mounted to the case which means they make a lot of noise It gets cramped in a hurry if you try to fit many drives in there There is no way to properly cool the drives which will...
  10. T

Abandon the AIO? End of year budget itch.

Yes, I'd assume that something like that would serve me for now, however they each cost about as much as a Silver 4110 + motherboard which is much more expandable. I wish I had 1000 sq feet of space as well, then much of this would be a non-issue. :D My problem is that replacing the current...
  11. T

As always there is the reason of getting new shiny toys to play with. Let's not forget that! :D
  12. T

The motivation was primarily to have a separate machine and not have to worry about messing up services I really care about. However if it ends up being too much of a compromise I would rather stick with an AIO. I've tried the exact setup you mention and I would say I much prefer Proxmox over...
  13. T

Hello! I'm currently happily running FreeNAS on an ESXi host but as I would like to play around some more with virtualization without accidentally interfering with the FreeNAS (and a couple of other services such as ELK and Ubiquiti controller) I have been considering running them (and the...
  14. T

Networking advice for new home VM setup

Thanks alot for your reply. It was very helpful! I don't have much experience with 802.1q either but that is kind of why I'm doing this. :D I've done some research and settled on getting a SFP+ capable switch with 802.1q support. I'll start out with 1GbE just to get an understanding for how to...
  15. T

Networking advice for new home VM setup

Hello! I've been lurking on these forums for a long time and now I'm looking to expand my home network/server setup and would love to hear your opinions about it. I'm currently using one C2758 running pfSense (firewall + VPN) and one Mac Mini (htpc + torrent + misc services). To this I...