Search results

1. crazyj

QNAP QTS 5.0.1 does Windows-Search-Protocol (indexing) ???

So, I've been hoping for some time now that non-windows servers would have the ability to communicate with windows like a windows-server does, and use the WSP search/indexing. Seems that QNAP has cracked this one. Have any others? Is this functionality some proprietary thing they've developed...
  2. crazyj

SMB issues between napp-it and Win10 ?

So, I'm throwing this out there in hopes that someone else has fought this battle and won... Updated my main PC Win7-64 to Win10-64 last weekend. Since then, my previously completely stable napp-it smb shares will not reconnect on reboot and I cannot access them again until I "net use * /d"...
  3. crazyj

Napp-it / OmniOS do we have apcups or NUT?

I just picked up an APC ups with a usb connection. Is there any way to configure graceful shutdown from omnios for a free hypervisor ESXI 6.7 AIO?
  4. crazyj

Advice for IOT devices?

The wife bought one of those Echo Dot things. Not overly thrilled about making my kids into lazy idiots, barking commands into the air, but hey, that seems to be what is normal now. Anyway. My network has an IOT/untrusted VLAN for it, so no big deal there. Apparently, though, it's able to...
  5. crazyj

Napp-it 19.12b / OmniOS 151034 / ESXi 6.7u3 slow transfer speeds

I'd updated my system from ESXi 5.5 to 6.7u3, and OmniOS to 151034. I've been chasing other issues, but now that most things are resolved, I was getting 100-120 MB/s transfers through Windows / SMB, but am now down to around 80 at best. Is there anything in that mix of hypervisor / or napp-it...
  6. crazyj

AIO slow, network stability issues? Totally confused

Maybe this is a networking / ESXI question more than a napp-it AIO question, but I thought I'd start here just in case someone with a similar installation to mine has seen this. I'm running an AIO setup on ESXi 6.7. SMB shares to windows clients, NFS shared internally between VMs...
  7. crazyj

Nfs version on OmniOS 151032 ?

I'm working through a few issues getting my AIO working. one of them seems to be NFS shares between OmniOS/Napp-it 151032/V19 and my centos 8 VM. My googling has led me to believe that all of the FS-cache errors I'm seeing, and mounting failures have something to do with a mismatch in NFS...
  8. crazyj

splitting up storage network on AIO

I 'm putting in a VM for security cams. Since it'll be getting one of my pools, is it advisable or possible to separate that from my other pools? ie, create another storage vswitch, and only use that network for the NFS shares for my cameras? Concerned mostly from a security perspective...
  9. crazyj

napp-it NFS shares to Centos-8 Duplicate Cookies error

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong here. I set up Napp-it 19.12 / OmniOS 151032. Sharing some of my filesystems via NFS to a storage vswitch (AIO setup). I can mount the first share without issue, and then every other share gives me "FS-Cache: Duplicate cookie detected" and a slew of other...
  10. crazyj

ESXi w/VLANs, HP 1810-24g trunk home network questions

I'm working on rearranging my home network to be split up a bit better for security, and to avoid some potential problems. I'm hoping someone out there can tell me if my proposed setup makes sense. I'm wanting to segregate things a bit better using VLANS in anticipation of: -separating the...
  11. crazyj

ESXi 6.7 revert to VMFS5 ?

So ESXi installs fine and all to my old Dell C2100. The datastore is VMFS6; however, I'd rather just stick with VMFS5. Unfortunately, I seem to be able to delete the VMFS6, but not create a VMFS5 store. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this?
  12. crazyj

Esxi 6.7 / OmniOS 151028

so I’ve been tinkering with my ol’C2100, and apparently it runs 6.7 u1 at least as far as I can determine - stable. I’ve been on 5.5 and 151016? For a while now. File storage duty and PLEX and in the future running cameras on zoneminder on centos. What are some compelling reasons to bother...
  13. crazyj

C2100 expander backplane (ebay)

just an fyi - I’ve got an expanded backplane on eBay, if any C2100 folks are interested. Dell 9NXC7 09NXC7 12-Bay x 3.5" HDD SAS/SATA Backplane | eBay
  14. crazyj

Windows/SMB/CIFS permissions for dummies?

Does anyone have a good resource explaining how (and better yet why) to set up users and permissions between napp-it / OmniOS (AIO if it matters)and windows? Apologies for the noobishness, but maybe I have an overly simple setup. There’s only my single windows admin user. When I setup napp-it...
  15. crazyj

Procedure to move from striped mirror to single mirror

I've currently 4x 500GB drives in a striped mirror. I'm wanting to move these over to 2x 4TB disks since I'm running short on room. What's the procedure to accomplish this? I have extra slots, so all disks reside in the server currently. Is it possible to mirror to the 4TB, then remove the...
  16. crazyj

Backup to a network location?

So my ZFS server mapped drives apparently doesn't show up in windows backup as sources any more. I'm wondering if there are easy enough ways to backup to a USB drive plugged into a tomato-usb router, or similar network locations. Or should I just plug it in to my server and run it as a ZFS...
  17. crazyj

VLANs and ESXi, is there a specific order of creation?

I'm maybe being overly cautious, but I need to ask a few questions that hopefully someone can answer. I have an all-in-one napp-it setup on ESXi, with the 2 NICs teamed to a VLAN capable switch. I would like to seggregate and build some VLANs: internal/private VLAN, management VLAN and a VLAN...
  18. crazyj

Windows Offline-Files and Napp-it SMB

I'm running a Napp-it VM / AIO, and having serious problems getting windows offline files to work without getting a slew of errors. Not every file, but certainly a good chunk of them. There were some suggestions made a while ago on how to make Offline Files play nice with LINUX/Samba, but how...
  19. crazyj

Windows 7 pro / 64 indexing - server 2008r2 VM?

So after searching in vain endlessly, it seems there's no solution to get Windows 7 pro 64-bit to index a network drive / UNC / NAS that isn't a windows server. Basically an issue since 2008 ? that Microsoft doesn't care to fix (a 'feature'). This is probably stupid, but has anyone created an...
  20. crazyj

ZFS settings to improve Windows Search performance

Just doing some searches of the data on my AIO napp-it, and I'm not sure it can get any slower. Read write speeds are fine, but Windows7 searching it is agonizingly slow. Can anything be done to index(?) it for quicker searches?