Search results

1. K

Avoton for Server 2012?

Guys trying to spec a couple of servers for us, and I'm looking at the the new Atoms. But I can't seem to tell if they would be enough power for what we do. Server 1: 4 users which might go to 10 (file serving) and maybe quickbooks for the accounting person. 300GB of data storage...
  2. K

Need some critique of my server configs for 3,5&7 year expansion

I don't have a rack here in Houston, just a desk. No other plans for the servers unless ESRI or Autodesk do something amazing on the server side that makes life easier (HAHAHA) sorry these guys can't keep our workstations from crashing regularly!
  3. K

Need some critique of my server configs for 3,5&7 year expansion

So after 8 (now going on 9) years it's time to look to put our SBS 2003/2003 servers to pasture. Our current setup is: ABQ - SBS 2003 dual Xeon (2ghz) 4GB ram 2U supermicro with 3ware 5 disk raid 5 (250gb disks sata 7200) file and print serving (3 users) & DFS (Currently we have about 200GB of...
  4. K

Why Windows Home Server is Discontinued - Weigh in

I use mine mostly to store our family pictures and do backups of the family laptops. It's so much easier to restore a laptop that's been infected or change a drive out when you have a daily backup/restore solution. I'm going to miss this product. I'd like to find something similar and simple...
  5. K

Intel 910 Series!

Updated with some performance numbers. http://thessdreview.com/our-reviews/intel-910-pcie-solid-state-drive-quick-preview-on-the-bench-and-pushing-out-1-9gbs-performance/ It has some pretty solid numbers and from what I can tell has the new 2308 LSI chip...(good sign) I'm a bit confused on how...
  6. K

Intel 910 Series!

software doesnt seem to be available yet. But here is the link: http://www.lsi.com/products/storagecomponents/Pages/NytroPredictor.aspx
  7. K

Intel 910 Series!

Patrick got the PM Thanks for the info were are probably 90days away from server purchase (if we can continue in this current economy)
  8. K

Intel 910 Series!

Sorry about dropping out of the conversation, been in a confronce all day. We are set up with dfs on our servers and our data gets replicated 800miles away in another state real time. So i have a little more flexibility when it comes to data integrity. Since its just me hitting the server...
  9. K

Intel 910 Series!

Tthe problem with a 16 drive array, it eats pcie slots and the you have the reliabity issues with now 16 parts and 4 drive cables and 2 cards and even the you have make accommodations for 16 drives. For those in the SMB market like us, this 910 drive could be mana from heaven. Im seeing a e3...
  10. K

Intel 910 Series!

Intel SSD on PICe, 400GB MSRP for $1900. http://hothardware.com/Reviews/Intel-Announces-PCIExpress-SSD-Product-Family-Meet-the-910/?page=1 http://www.anandtech.com/show/5743/intels-ssd-910-400800gb-mlchet-pcie-shipping-in-1h-2012 Getting down into the meat, this looks like it's perfect...
  11. K

My CIvil\GIS Workstation

No pictures. But I do like the supermicro case. If you plan on using it anywhere you desk, this is your guy. With a SSD on board, the two biggest noise makers are my pair 3.5" 15K sas drives (my scratch drive) and the dvd drive. A lot of times I have to look to see if it's on because I can't...
  12. K

M1015's and SSD's?

Well i just figured out that on our budget ssd raid isnt going to work. Ive got 220GB of active storage on our network and leaves no room for over provisioning. So re looking at everything I'm now looking at a 4disk raid 10 using the hitachi 7k3000 2gb platters on either a lsi 9260 or 9265...
  13. K

M1015's and SSD's?

mobilemedia, Do you feel that using a flashed (IR) M1015 is safe for a production environment? I can't seem to tell the difference between the 9211 and the 9240?
  14. K

M1015's and SSD's?

Well the server needs to be upgraded anyway, we installed this one in the spring of 2007 (our SBS server has been in service since april of 2006!) so the servers are needing to be retired. Since I handle all the GIS I wanted my file server to spit data out as fast as possible. When I used the...
  15. K

M1015's and SSD's?

Yeah my thought was to use the m1015 for the ssds. Samsungs seem to be used by dell for raids so I thought it would work. I have a pair of infinihost III cards (the type without memory, i. E. Cheap). They were quick in my server but not fast VERY LOW latency. I'm hoping that by using...
  16. K

M1015's and SSD's?

Thanks Patrick! I just looked at the thermaltake stuff. Pretty cool. The istarusa stuff did look a little 'floppy'. But I figured since they were going to be SSD's it wouldn't make much difference. I'm still probably 2 months out on the Server upgrade. (We need some work before we drop 7K...
  17. K

M1015's and SSD's?

Ok I am looking to spec out my file server here at the office but had some questions when it comes to SSD RAID Cards and bus speeds. Right now I'm looking at Supermicro 1155 Mid-tower server with the C202 chipset. 2 (8x) slots with 1 (4x wired 1x) board...
  18. K

Intel C202, C204, C206 Xeon E3 Bromolow Motherboards Thread

Look like the phone 'tech' didn't know what he was talking about. I emailed them: I would like to know if there are plans to support the upcoming xeon e3-1200 v2 series of processors on the C204 chipset boards (specifically the super x9sca)? And if so will this processor upgrade support the...
  19. K

10GbE for workstation/server Recommendation question

Didn't work. Broke the link, completely. But I did learn some things: 1. Check the through put of your RAID system first. (The best that my 4 drive 500GB SATA 3.0 7200rpms can do is 75Mb/sec, this is with a 3ware card with 256MB of ram and a BBU). 2.Make sure that there are drivers that are...
  20. K

10GbE for workstation/server Recommendation question

Thanks I'll try that in the morning.