Search results

1. Q

Gigabyte R180-F34 1U Server (2011-3) $94-109 + Shipping

I used the BIOS and firmware files from here on my rev 1 boards (caveat emptor): MD90-FS0 (rev. 1.1) | Server Motherboard - GIGABYTE Philippines
  2. Q

I couldn't get the WebUI to do the BMC flash for me, so I just made a freedos thumb drive and flashed my 3 that way. Smooth as silk. I love these, and am really fighting not getting 2 more - I honestly like them better than my Supermicro and Quanta servers!
  3. Q

I kept watching the tinyminimicro series Patrick is doing, and really trying to make myself go that route, but I want a fast SAN, so no go there... So, I'm in for 3 of these bad boys. Did OBO at $85x3, accepted late night within an hour. Praying they're not too loud!
  4. Q

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

I am now the happy owner of an ICX6610-48P thanks to this thread! Already enjoying the PoE life with less power cords to deal with! Next step - it's finally time to pull the trigger on a rack cabinet...!
  5. Q

FINAL Bachelor Build - Xeon D vSAN Cluster

Heat sinks, if glued, are epoxied to processors, which is expected and designed for.
  6. Q

Just me, I'd never epoxy anything to a motherboard - too delicate...
  7. Q

I'd cut up a Manila file folder into a duct and see how that does.
  8. Q

Supermicro X10QBL fitting case? (Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra maybe?).

Rosewill says no - max is HPTX: 13.6in. x 15in. Rosewill BlackHawk-Ultra - Full Tower Gaming Computer Case - 8 Preinstalled Cooling Fans Your board is - 16.79" x 16.4" Personally, I think if you have gone that big on a system, use the proper case - Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 4U |...
  9. Q

Daily use CPU advice

Those are power hungry beasts - I am surprised to see their recommendation...
  10. Q

Daily use CPU advice

A pair of L5630s would run $20-25, so that would be my vote. 40W, plenty of power.
  11. Q

chune's house build

I've tried that with current Proxmox and OS X with no success. :confused:
  12. Q

SAS Controller to Maximize Expander

Why are you bothering to pay more for something that you can't even use?
  13. Q

100GB SAS Enterprise SSD Sandisk Optimus Extreme $49.99+$5 s/h

From their data sheet - "EverGuard Technology protects against loss of user data in the event of unexpected power interruptions using a 3rd generation backup power circuit design and high- reliability discrete capacitors."
  14. Q

Intel Xeon E5-2670 Deal and Price Tracking

There are a decent number of video games that are actually GPU bound, and when you run into them, the CPU usage will be far lower. Can you, list which games are "heavily CPU-based", "heavily GPU-based", or both? - Forums - PCPartPicker - not an "authoritative" source, I know...
  15. Q

NAS/Router build list

Well, unfortunately, you chose a v1 cpu, and a v3 motherboard, which aren't compatible. Your selected motherboard has 8 Sata ports via sas, but you have 4 sas to 4 sata cables listed, you can only use 2. If you are just using Sata drives, then use the onboard Sata ports for the remaining 8...
  16. Q

FreeNAS-NAS4Free-ZFSguru-Rockstor-ZoL-OVM-Openfiler-OpenAttic-StorageSpaces-XPenology

First of all, welcome. Second, the picture you have painted is incomplete - what controllers are you running for your backplanes, and are the backplanes 1:1 or expander? If you are using HW raid controllers, that will change your options. Third, what levels of redundancy are you shooting for...
  17. Q

CPU cooling - water vs air, overclocking etc

Yeah, I just went through the choice of what to use, an AIO water setup, or air, and for price vs. performance, this $45 cooler won - CRYORIG | H5 ULTIMATE. I decided that unless I did a custom water setup, performance was not all that much better than the H5, and cost a lot more, also losing...
  18. Q

[SOLVED]Slow speeds between two Connectx-2 machines

Glad to see my name next to "things worked out", and not "that no good lousy so and so"!
  19. Q

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

I gotta ask - what is your hardware config that your writes are so slow? I have USB thumbdrives that are faster...
  20. Q

Editing posts

LOL, @Patrick pulled a St. *Patty's* day prank on ya!