Search results

1. P

How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Ah gotcha. So 512e still has it's place :)
  2. P

Is there something preventing to format from 520 to 4096? How I understand this, even the 520b drives report physical sectors as 4k, which is the actual IO size the disk does from firmware to the platter. So formatting to 512 would mean that any 4k write from OS goes to disk firmware as is and...
  3. P

What is the reason behind everyone suggesting a format to 512 instead of 4096 sectors? If the actual size of IO is 4k (Physical block, the size of writes/reads the disk will do to the platter), wouldn't it make sense to just format to 4k with sg_utils? Just grabbed bunch of HC510's from two...
  4. P

EU HGST 4U SAS3 12GB/s Storage Enclosure 60 bays £299

It's 100cm long. I'd guess you need a extra deep rack for this?
  5. P

I apparently need someone to explain like I'm 5 (years old)

Check if there are extra stands shorting the MoBo.
  6. P

Quanta LB8 48x10G - $375

Always miss these by a second..
  7. P

Quanta LB8 $295 another screaming hot deal on a 10GBe switch

So mad at myself, really needed this one. Have to click faster next time ;(. Gz to who got it.
  8. P

Making SC846 quiet?

No I haven't. I don't think the stock fans can get any quieter than they are now.
  9. P

Making SC846 quiet?

What do you mean by controller? I have fans connected to a CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 power board with IPMI. Currently I have 12 disks.
  10. P

Making SC846 quiet?

My home rack is already pretty quiet. Most of the noice come from SC846 and its fans. I already have SQ PSUs, but I'd like to replace the three fans behind the backplane. I'm using the chassis as JBOD, so I can safely remove the back fans I think. I noticed that the back fans can be replaced...
  11. P

EU Here's a deal for those of you in Europe - BPN SAS3 846EL1

Thanks. Bought one from same seller ~a year ago. Hope I get this one as well :)
  12. P

ATX motherboard in Supermicro WB/UB chassis?

Got the chassis yesterday. I'd say a normal board would fit just fine. IO shield is just like in CB models. Too bad I already bought a WIO board.
  13. P

ATX motherboard in Supermicro WB/UB chassis?

Can I use a normal mATX or ATX motherboard in Supermicro WB/UB chassis, which are designed for WIO/UIO motherboards? This is the chassis I'm looking for: Supermicro | Products | Chassis | 1U | SC113TQ-600WB It says: 1U chassis support for max. motherboard size - 13.68" x 13" E-ATX; optimized...
  14. P

Supermicro Rackmount Server Chassis (CSE-116TQ-R700CB) 190$

Wish it was WB instead of CB :/
  15. P

supermicro sq power supply 1280w $59

No international shipping :(
  16. P

SC846TQ (new) $337

Supermicro 24 Bay Chassis SC846 Server Chassis with Rails NEW
  17. P

supermicro chassis SC846, backplane questions

Yes, my bad. The backplane was BPN-SAS-846A, not TQ :)
  18. P

I found it for 249€ from eBay. It was brand new.
  19. P

I have a SC846 (SC846BA-R920B to be exact). I've replaced the TQ backplane (no expander) with BPN-SAS3-846EL1 SAS3 backplane with expander. It was not hard to replace, took maybe 10 minutes total.