Search results

1. E

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

Hey, so I just noticed here that the latest BIOS update (1.1c) for the SuperMicro X10SDV platform contains this: Anyone know what the available options are? Sounds like you may not need a PLX adapter now, if the chipset supports bifurcation. Even just two M.2 would be nice.
  2. E

I'm finished with these Supermicro 1U short depth chassis

Still the same board, and now no large temperature delta? That's really weird, but glad it's working for you now!
  3. E

Supermicro Xeon D / FCBGA 1667 Heatsink information

A few questions: Whats the best way to keep the mini-tower version (e.g. SYS-5028D-TN4T) cool and quiet?Will 2U solutions fit in it? And is the after-market SM active cooler mentioned in the article the same setup that comes installed on SM's boards with the active cooler?
  4. E

Cool, thanks for the info Patrick. Also I'm familiar with your excellent coverage, having read most of it! Thank you for that, by the way :) The PCH separate die thing seems to be something they aren't exactly trumpeting. But it's been confirmed, see the post by the author halfway down this...
  5. E

I think the SATA, Gen 2 PCIe, and USB ports are on a separate die integrated into the package. Source: Intel gives the ‘v3’ treatment to new 14 nm Xeon D processors Edit: Point being, there's still some interconnect, and if all they did was put an existing die in the package it's going to be...
  6. E

I agree with all your points; it's an academic question for a NAS. However I think you missed that you were responding to two completely different users. j--, who asked about using all 6 SATA ports, is not running a NAS application, but rather some database/VM, with a CPU much beefier than the...
  7. E

I think that the max SATA throughput question is valid. There could be a bottle-neck between the "South Bridge" in the Xeon-D SiP, where the SATA ports hang off of, and the main die, such that 6 SSD's going full bore could saturate the link. Six SATA3 ports have an effective transfer rate of...
  8. E

Hey, so I noticed there has been some discussion of PCIe bifurcation support in this thread on the SuperMicro boards. What is the conclusion of that? Do you need an "active" adapter with a PLX chip? Or can you split the lanes passively? If you can split them passively, how many lanes can you...