Search results

1. Larson

Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

Thanks Steven for your input. Do you know if it still has the Essentials Role available like 2016?
  2. Larson

Windows Server 2016 or 2019?

Hello everyone, Have anybody dug into Windows Server 2019 yet? Is it ready to take the place of 2016 in a production environment? Has it fixed anything in 2016? Just looking for thoughts. Thanks, James
  3. Larson

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) Slow to Initialize

Thanks for the reply Deslok. It's just 2 drives in a RAID1. Resource usage seems normal: CPU usage is ~6%, Disk ~5%, memory ~23%. Everything is slower than normal, but not terrible.
  4. Larson

Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Intel RST) Slow to Initialize

Hello all, I have a Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials lost network connection in the middle of the night, but got it back after a reboot. However, Intel RST icon in the task tray shows "Initializing" and it's doing it very slowly - only 8% after 1hr. Can...
  5. Larson

Question on Installing Win Server 2016 on RAID 1 Volume

So, for anybody who's interested, the cause of the error appears to be that I had my optical drive (used to install the OS) connected to the wrong controller on the motherboard. The SuperMicro X10SDV-7TP4F motherboard has two controllers: a Broadcom (LSI) controller for the 16 SATA3/SAS2...
  6. Larson

I'm not doing a UEFI boot. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to having the OS (Windows Server 2016 Standard) on a GPT disk with a UEFI boot? Wouldn't it be better to leave the boot/OS disk non-GPT?
  7. Larson

So I did just a clean in DiskPart (w/o creating the partition primary), DISKPART LIST DISK SELECT DISK 0 CLEAN but I get the same error message, Error: 0x80300024. I don't know what having a previous installation (2012 R2) on those drives could have done to mess it up. From the Windows...
  8. Larson

Hi Steven, thanks for the quick reply! I should have mentioned that I did try this: DISKPART LIST DISK SELECT DISK 0 CLEAN CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY but it didn't work. Should I have not created the "partition primary" maybe?
  9. Larson

Can anybody please help with this? I had a clean install of Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard installed on a RAID1 volume (2x 480GB SSDs); the install went without a hitch, including no need to load drivers or anything else. I decided I wanted to upgrade to Windows Server 2016 Standard, so from...
  10. Larson

4TB Windows Server Boot Drive MBR vs GPT

The system/OS/boot/data drive is all one 1TB HDD with C: (OS) and D: (data) partitions. So everything is on RAID1. It's not an ideal setup. I'd rather have a separate OS drive and Data drive, but I'm just working with what came before me. Trying to increase storage space with minimal downtime.
  11. Larson

Oh, okay. Well, it's a real simple setup, just two partitions (1 for OS, 1 for Data). It's Server 2012 R2 Essentials which is just being used for a file server, client computer backups, and a few applications (accounting program, etc.). Do you think a GPT boot drive would be okay for that, or...
  12. Larson

Hi Chris, does "P2V" mean partition into two volumes? Thanks.
  13. Larson

Hi all, Can someone help me on this? I currently have a lenovo ThinkServer TS140 running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a 2x1TB HDDs RAID1 volume. The RAID1 volume is MBR and is partitioned into two partitions (1 for OS, 1 for data), but I want to replace the entire volume with larger...
  14. Larson

Samsung PM863a Enterprise SSD SATA 6Gb/s 3.84TB 4TB

Okay, so it's not just me! I was wondering. I'm looking for two 480GB models as well. Wish now I had bought more when I bought my first one 6 months ago at $110. o_O Now the best price I'm seeing is about $295. That's crazy!
  15. Larson

Samsung PM863a Enterprise SSD SATA 6Gb/s 3.84TB 4TB

Is anybody buying the PM863 anymore? I can't believe how they've gone up in price over the last six months!
  16. Larson

Searching File Content in Windows Server Folders

Thanks again mervincm! That did the trick; 30 seconds to install and away we go. :)
  17. Larson

Thanks azev for your input! Apparently all I had to do this time was install the Microsoft Office 2010 Filter Packs.
  18. Larson

Thanks mervincm! That sounds like hitting the nail on the head. I'll try that first.
  19. Larson

Thank you! I hadn't thought about that. If mervincm's suggestion of installing the ifilters doesn't work, I'll try that next. Thanks again.