Search results

1. L

Anything better bang for buck then Microtik CRS317-1G-16S+RM ?

The OP noted 6 ESXI servers, and a SA3400 array.. that alone is probably $20k if not more, the 3400 is around $8k on it's own without drives.... And then you want to throw a $400 switch in the mix with little to know redundancy, and more than likely not timely business support.. There are 3 prod...
  2. L

House fire questions

Glad you are all safe and sound. You can try cleaning everything with isopropyl alcohol, assuming when you look inside the case and you don't find a molten mess of circuitry and components. Where they off when the fire dep (if they were needed) and the servers got wet. Drives may be toast, may...
  3. L

Anything better bang for buck then Microtik CRS317-1G-16S+RM ?

The biggest concern, is support, you are trying to build something out cheap. With the Mikrotik, you probably won't get great support, nor longevity. With the brocade, of which I have 2, you will get the quality, longevity and the features you want, but you still won't be getting any support...
  4. L

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Liquor is the only reason half my co workers are still alive.....
  5. L

How has this last update not also updated the ssh key algorythms.. serious.. diffie-hellman-group1-sha1 has been obsolete and vulnerable for over a decade.
  6. L

Difference between SR-IOV Network adapter and PCI VF NIC Device for guests question.

Well.. since apparently no one else can answer.. after a lot of fighting.. I managed to figure out my problems.. and learned a little. As for why you have to use a network card and select the SR-IOV interface.. it is how VMWare applies vlan tags. The VF is not actually using the port group to...
  7. L

Difference between SR-IOV Network adapter and PCI VF NIC Device for guests question.

So I have been playing around... Goal.. assign VF nic to each guest without using the virtual switch, and setting up the guest with appropriate vlan config. The physical nic is connected to the switch port with appropriate vlans. When I assign a VF to a guest using PCI device, it does not...
  8. L

I should probably note that I am also using sr-iov and setup 5 VFs per 10G nic interface.
  9. L

thats exactly what I did. It worked when I used my local network to pull an IP. But won’t pull from Verizon when I connect it directly to that port on the same vlan. I’ll have to see if VZ is still binding to specific Mac addresses. I used to have to force the MAC address to be the same as...
  10. L

Stupid question.. is it possible to bridge two ports on the 6610... I'm trying to simplify my network a little.. my primary gateway uses a dual gig card passed through via pci-passthrough. I am trying to migrate off that vmware server, so I want to connect my incoming gig connection (FIOS) to...
  11. L

[Free] - HP C3000 Blade Chassis with blades and Supermicro 833 Chassis with A1SRi-2558F - DC, Maryland, Virginia area

Umm.. she is 6’1 and would kick my ass. She is not part of the deal.. but I will throw in a 8 year old boy who may not survive the year....
  12. L

[Free] - HP C3000 Blade Chassis with blades and Supermicro 833 Chassis with A1SRi-2558F - DC, Maryland, Virginia area

It’s not so bad, if you have appropriate dust collection, which I do on most of my tools, except the CNC router... that thing is a dust storm
  13. L

I have that problem with the rack I am trying to give away.. fits my SM crap (before I got rid of the SM stuff, but all the DL 360 and 380s are too long.
  14. L

Man, I can’t even give this stupid thing away.... Also, I’m very disappointed in the members of this forum, not a single joke about getting rid of the wife and keeping the equipment.... so disappointed...
  15. L

Edit: All stuff gone. Thanks to everyone who helped find it a good home. edit: Rack and Supermicro stuff have been taken, only the blade server left. If free stuff posts are against the rules (I read them, did not see anything), I'll delete it (or mods delete it). No really, it's all free...
  16. L

FS: LSI Logic SAS9305-16i 12Gb/s PCIe 3.0 SAS HBA - used *SOLD*

My entire server rack is from purchases at 3am.........
  17. L

HP Microserver Gen 8 BIOS update?

Normally they require some sort of contract or warranty, but due to the recent number of critical intel bugs, they have released the BIOS updates for anyone.. for now.
  18. L

Curious, if they are all in one setups, even 3, why are you using so many ports. I have 2 DL360ps with 2 port 10GB intel, and 4x1GB flexlom, and 2 DL380ps with the same. I'm only using 3 ports per machine (2 10GB ports and 1 1GB for backup connection to the switch), plus 2 ports for my...
  19. L

This would be pretty much every HP server... I have 2 DL360pG8's and 2 DL380pG8's on top of 2 icx switches.. and it sounds like a jumbo jet on takeoff when the rack comes up after a power failure (my UPS can only run them for about 15 min) I keep the rack in the garage, so the noise is less of...
  20. L

[ESX 7.0]Internet not working anymore after VeeAM backup of PFSense

How is your pfsense setup.. specifically the network cards. I have the exact same setup, I have 2 vsphere servers, both on HP DL360pG8s, and also using Veeam, and I don't have any issues. I should note that my pfsense instance is on my 6.7, I just updated vcenter to 7, I have not moved my...