Search results

1. C

Issue with Ruckus R610 - Expert help needed!

I'm starting to second guess if everything was working perfectly. Maybe it was in mesh mode when I got it. Never put anything but standard POE into it; I don't have anything else in the house. I forced at mode in the settings; no change. Barrel connector; no change. I'll give a shot to the...
  2. C

Issue with Ruckus R610 - Expert help needed!

So I bought this thing about 6 months ago, but life got in the way. Previously from a hotel, everything worked when I got it just had locked settings. Reflashed to the latest Unleashed firmware and I'm completely baffled. eth 0 and eth1 show down in CLI. I can configure the WiFi just fine, but...
  3. C

$230: Dell Precision T1650 Xeon E3 V2 machine with 32GB DDR3 No HDD

The side door latch is ONLY trouble if you are putting in a LONGER supply. It's a long bar with the latch opening that gets actuated forward and backward, and the power supply that is IN there is the longest you can possibly get in and out (and IT is fiddly). Putting in a bigger one requires...
  4. C

$230: Dell Precision T1650 Xeon E3 V2 machine with 32GB DDR3 No HDD

I've actually got one of these I picked up for $180 about 6 months ago. I stuck in a GTX 1070Ti and upgraded the power supply and it's doing excellent work as a workstation, but there are some HUGE caveats to doing that: Drive cage must be removed for a full length card (750Ti was fine). Full...
  5. C

Hynix 64GB 4 x16 GN PC3L 8500R HMT42GR7BMR4A-G7 1066MHz 1.35V RAM Oracle 7020577

Are you willing to sell in lots of 3 or 6 for those of us with older triple channel machines?
  6. C

Looking for a couple of 10Gb SFP+ ports - cheap and quiet !

I just picked up a Mikrotik CSS326. Fanless, 24GbE, 2 SFP+, has SwOS, which is simple but definately has VLAN tagging, etc. and basic management features. Might be what you are looking for, and it's $130 on amazon.
  7. C

Question regarding expected performance of my FreeNAS build.

Server was running iperf -sD, I'll try the client with no options and see what I get when i get home.
  8. C

10Gb SFP+ single port = cheaper than dirt

Can confim, running a Connectx-2 on a Windows Server 2016 machine. Worked straight out of the box.
  9. C

Windows was set to 64k, which rounds to 0.00GB.
  10. C

Not sure if I did this right, because the results iperf gave me are frankly baffling. bin/iperf.exe -c 10.0.1.210 -P 1 -i 1 -p 5001 -f G -t 10 ------------------------------------------------------------ Client connecting to 10.0.1.210, TCP port 5001 TCP window size: 0.00 GByte (default)...
  11. C

Workstation is a Ryzen 5 with 16GB RAM and a Samsung 850Evo 500GB on SATA3. If that's about what I'd expect I'm perfectly fine. Just couldn't find anything to tell me how fast TO expect.
  12. C

I'll get on that tonight, and report back!
  13. C

So I've had a FreeNAS box running for a few years now. It's a Supermicro A1SAI-2550 board, running 24GB of ECC. Boot drive is a 120GB Samsung 840 (spare laying around) and the disks are a mix of 3 2TB and 2 4TB in a RAIDZ2. It's been dead solid except when my boot USB stick died about a year...
  14. C

Questions for expanding my network

Well, to at least partially answer my own question: Systems of this age run PCIe 1.0A, which has a bandwidth of 250Mbps for each lane (and only has one lane available via ExpressCard/34), and USB 2.0 which has a theoretical peak of 480Mbps. Given a connection of >100Mbps for your WAN this...
  15. C

So here's an odd question. I'm preparing for my move and found my old Macbook Pro (3,1 model; 2.2 GHz C2D with 2GB RAM in a single DIMM). It works aside from one of the DIMM slots, and currently has a fresh OS X install on it, but it's so slow we don't use it. Would it function as a decent...
  16. C

Ok, so doing more research I'm really liking that switch. That said I'm looking at my options for the 10GbE SFP+ PCIe card for the FreeNAS box. Are there any recommendations? The intel X520 cards look good and well supported, but they are a bit pricey and require the specific intel transceiver...
  17. C

That's a heck of an option there. I don't know that it would replace a pfsense box, but it makes for a perfect router choice for my needs.
  18. C

Thanks for the input! So would it make sense if I went with a small appliance for the pfsense box and something like a ZyXEL XGS1910-24 (24x GbE + 2x 10GbE for ~$475) to build out the internal backbone of the network? I hadn't realized I could get a halfway decent switch with 10GbE ports for...
  19. C

Forgive my ignorance, but what is "KR networking"? I can make a guess (backplane connections) but am not sure. That said, does that mean I cannot utilize it? The board you recommended was on my short list, but I will be building out at least 5 ports in the house, preferably 10. I use wired...
  20. C

So I just registered, but I've been lurking for a while. Before I begin with the questions I'd like to thank all those who have contributed in the past. I've gotten quite a bit of good info! A bit over a year ago I built a FreeNAS box based on advice I read here. Here's the build: Supermicro...