Search results

1. S

Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 EPYC 3151 Mystery

I just received the Ceacent PCIe adapter and I managed to boot TrueNAS and have it detect the Mellanox NIC at least once. But then I rearranged the cables a bit and then the MJ11-EC1 board didn't post again (it restarts right before the point it would normally boot the OS) so I think it is...
  2. S

There are two connectors for the full 16 lanes but the first connector (marked X8) is for the first 8 lanes. I looked at the traces on the board to confirm it. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  3. S

I have now tried two SlimSAS 8i cables with this board from Aliexpress. Not getting my system to detect a ConnectX-2 card. And when I try a M.2 to PCIe adapter with a SK Hynix SSD then it doesn't even POST (just black screen). Should I get the Ceacent board instead? I already have the...
  4. S

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

The way I would solve the conondrum with using both iGPU and IPMI video at the same time is as follows: Get a monitor with VGA input if you don't already have one. Connect both IPMI VGA and iGPU's HDMI/DP to the same monitor. Keep IPMI VGA as primary graphics output in BIOS. In OS, set iGPU as...
  5. S

MELLANOX MNPA19 XTR ConnectX®-2

Just make sure the network card receives some air circulation. This can easily be fixed by mounting a fan pointed at the card. It is not necessary to mount a fan to the card itself. I experienced throttling with ConnectX-3 before I did so. It was crammed in between the PSU and the motherboard in...
  6. S

I bought a BeQuiet SFX 450W PSU for my build. I just hope it is enough to power the board and 8 harddisks. It is all currently housed in a Silverstone DS380 case. EDIT: I replaced the very noisy stock CPU fan with Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM. Much better. I'm unable to get PWM working for SYS_FAN1 and...
  7. S

-- Finally received the plug and pins from Digikey. Soldered on the pins and pushed them inside the connector housing. I took the female ATX 24 pin connector from an extension cable. (I bought the board from ebay from a Polish seller and the ATX to 4 pin adapter was not included so I had to...
  8. S

Using an actual VT100 terminal with a Dell server

I once made a dumb SSH terminal using an old 14 inch CRT TV and a raspberry pi. The resolution of such TVs are pretty much crap for anything but a text mode terminal. It doesn't have the same coolness of an actual DEC VT100 though but it was fun enough for a time. Though I'm curious if you...
  9. S

Using an actual VT100 terminal with a Dell server

Do you mean the console redirection feature that some BIOS has where you can see the bios menus over a serial connection? Make sure the VT100 is set to the same baud rate, stop bits, and so on. To be safe try with 9600 baud rate first. When I used serial connection as very cheap out of band...
  10. S

Mellanox connect X3 vs Connect X4

Mellanox Connect-X 4 Lx uses a smaller node shrink controller as well and I wonder how much cooling it requires. All the older Mellanox cards require active cooling of some sort. A fan blowing in its direction is enough to prevent throttling, anything to avoid still air.
  11. S

If it turns out this SlimSAS 8i connector cannot be bifurcated I will just use it as a x8 wide port with this adapter: SlimSAS PCIe gen4 Device Adapter 2* 8i to x16 – C-Payne PCB Design (just connecting one SlimSAS cable for x8) and then using it with a 10GbE network card (most of which are x8)...
  12. S

Thanks. Just ordered now. I also included the pins in the order.
  13. S

Sadly I received a board without the ATX to 4 pin connector adapter so I need to source this connector on my own. I just sent a question of which type of connector/plug is used since after an hour on Digikey I couldn't find one that matched (none of the typical molex connectors seems to fit). I...
  14. S

[EU-GER] Gigabyte MJ11-EC1 AMD EPYC 3151 - 69€

A lot of the SlimSAS 8i to 2x U.2 or 2x M.2 adapters/boards are just as expensive as this motherboard. This board is just very cheap so you kind of have to forget about that comparison. Pricing on cables has gone up and these cables are of much higher quality in order to allow 12Gbps SAS and...
  15. S

Anyone used Asus PRIME Z790-P WIFI?

Both AMD and Intel added 4 more PCIe lanes but it is used by by even more onboard components like extra M.2 slots and 10Gb LAN. The typical gaming boards (Prime is targeted towards gamers on a budget) just have to have a slot for the GPU. Anything extra is assumed to be connected via USB or...
  16. S

Gigabit + 10Gb Switches under $550

Well since they discontinued the CRS210-8G-2S+ (I have this) it was about time for a replacement.
  17. S

You have to be sure it in fact does support 2.5/5 Gbps. Just because it says so on the product description on eBay doesn't make it true. It can be erroneous. It claims to be a drop in replacement for the original Netgear AXM765 module which in fact doesn't support NBASE-T speeds.
  18. S

Seems I hit some resitance on this idea on this forum but I'm trying again: ES-16-XG and Aquantia AQS-107, 802.3bz/NBase-T SFP+ Multi-gigabit Transceiver | Ubiquiti Community I have not seen any proof that these NBASE-T capable SFP+ modules sync at anything but 10GBps on the switch side...
  19. S

Not if the module always reports as 10Gbps but just shuffles data at a rate of 2.5 or 5Gbps.
  20. S

MCX3131A-BCBT Getting only ~6Gb/s

There is not a lot of information on network tuning for Windows. I have seen so many ideas over the past months since I got into 10gigabit networking. Some suspect it is about how Windows handles Receive Side Scaling. Several threads about it on the forum and I also had the issue until I moved...