Search results

1. S

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

Did you ask the person who gifted you this server if it was working fine before they gave it to you? Supermicro stuff generally just works in my experience unless it’s sone cobbled together eBay Frankenserver or been physically abused.
  2. S

SC846 system gifted to me - A full overview with questions. Replacing DVD drive with SSDs? Ideas for upgrades or keep what I got?

From memory, the slots not tall enough, the mounts are in the wrong place and there’s no power connection. All fixable with various levels of effort. Supermicro site lists compatible chassis and provides some images that will help...
  3. S

The hot-swap dual 2.5” rear drive caddy only works with newer 864B chassis. You would need to pretty heavily mod an ‘A’ chassis to fit.
  4. S

Power consumption: Epyc 7303 vs Epyc 75f3?

Thanks for the data point. I’m running at about 25% utilization on the 75F3
  5. S

Power consumption: Epyc 7303 vs Epyc 75f3?

Any folks with data to compare power consumption of new low power Epyc Milan 7303 vs 75F3. Trying to work out if it's worth the hassle of downgrading from an over-spec'd CPU.
  6. S

Does anyone have Supermicro H12SSL series motherboard experience?

That was my understanding too. Given the cost of $1k of RAM and the time/energy consumed in testing it, I went with the pro version which was a small bump in overall system cost for peace of mind. Also justified it yo myself because i've used memtest for years and was good feelz to give back. I...
  7. S

Sorry, forgot to quote for context. @mattlach asked, "Mind sharing what you did wind up using that worked for you?" Micron 7450 NVMe 1TB I recall.
  8. S

With Supermicro I stick with the recommended hardware to avoid those kinds of issues. I’ve had odd random issues with RAM, SSDs and plug in PCI expanders over the years that have been hard to debug and not been supported by SM.
  9. S

Nice build. I’m using that cooler on a similar 75F3 in a SC846 and it’s plenty capable. I think there’s value running a memtest to verify all those pins are connected, it took a few days for 512GB to complete a few passes. The premium version tests ECC RAM too.
  10. S

Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Something I discovered when replacing R750's with R760's is WIFI6E requires the use of WPA3 and several devices I have in active service have no support for WPA3 and are not expected to be upgradable, for example, Nvidia Shields and some Brother printers. The best workaround I've found to date...
  11. S

The circumvention of the licensing system? That would be illegal and frowned upon by Ruckus given it’s a current product and more than likely abused outside of just home users. It’s just not the same and extending the life of deprecated hardware. I use vSZ in the home and honestly unleashed has...
  12. S

Problems with current Open-ZFS 2.2

Thanks for confirming, I just upgraded and kicked off a 200TB migration. About 20TB in so far and things seem to be going well.
  13. S

Problems with current Open-ZFS 2.2

Does this affect OmniOS r151048 @gea ?
  14. S

FS: Ruckus APs and Nvidia RTX

R750: $600. In factory box with mounting plate and recent Unleashed installed. R720: $300. In factory box with mounting plate and recent Unleashed installed. Nvidia Geforce RTX A4000: $750, New in box, unopened Delivered CONUS, Paypal
  15. S

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Comprehensive changlogs are usually provided by Ruckus for firmware updates, or at least they are for vSZ, did you manage to find one and review?
  16. S

Epyc 75f3 cooling choice?

Acquired a Epic 75f3 which will be going in a Supermicro SC846 4U chassis with H12SSL-C and 512GB 3200 RAM. It's a 280W CPU and choices appear to be somewhat limited and results hard to find re cooling performance. Dynatron A35 or SNK-P0064AP4 Noise isn't a concern? Does anyone have data showing...
  17. S

Ruckus R350 vs. R710

I just happened to be in my control panel when I saw your question. Here's my switch reporting for the R750.
  18. S

I reverted to WPA2 due to same issues.