Search results

1. T

Intel Xeon D-1500 Series Discussion

I had actually missed that M.2 slot on the Xeon D boards, but that solved my issue for adding a PCIe/NVME cache drive. Thank you both!
  2. T

Are there any Xeon D boards with NVME options? Either through a SFF plug or M.2 slot? Or is it possible somehow to retrofit a NVME drive (Intel 750 or M.2) to a regular SAS HBA (mini-SAS SFF8087 port)? I'm doing a mITX vSAN build to host my home lab etc. and already have the SAS HBA card.
  3. T

So how long 'til we get those D-1541's on the market. On the look for a new home-lab board/cpu, and got a bit put off the 1540s because of the SR-IOV issues.
  4. T

edited

No free ones to my knowledge... VMware VSAN?
  5. T

slow copy over gigabit ethernet

Reboot the switch? I've got a Cisco SMB switch which occasionally sets 100mbit access to my computer. Rebooting the switch brings it back up to 1 gigabit. Alternatively connect PC to the router and see if the same thing happens there.
  6. T

Any difference between direct connect SFP+ Cable and switch connect SFP+

Might be the simplest, but you need DAC to get it working as far as I know.
  7. T

DAC stands for Direct Access Cable. Those are for connecting two computers/devices directly, and not through a switch.
  8. T

Yes, you need a direct-connect cable/transceiver. For the network card there is no difference though.
  9. T

Sounds good. Shouldn't be a problem swapping out the fan with a larger one either, which would be more quiet. Or maybe do some home-modding to get a liquid cooler on it.
  10. T

How quiet are these 1540-boards? I'm contemplating buying one for a new home-lab build, but it will run in a Node 304 which sits in my office. If they are noisy I'd rather wait for the E3 v5 CPU's, and put on a liquid cooler or something.
  11. T

Low power and low noise home server.

I don't find HP ML Towers very quiet. Well, quieter than a regular rack server, but not something to put in your office. I'm currently waiting for the Intel Xeon E3 v5 processors (coming Q4), and the Gigabyte mini-ITX motherboard. Putting those in a Fractal Node 304 along with 6 disks, 32gb...