Search results

1. B

temperature of the Broadcom 10Gb LAN controller (BCM57416) on Supermicro motherboards

There are further pages that explain that it's ambient operating temperature, but it's 1200+ page datasheet, so who wants to go through that. Broadcom is fine too and you should be fine with that over Intel. I haven't looked through their datasheets, but operating conditions should be similar.
  2. B

temperature of the Broadcom 10Gb LAN controller (BCM57416) on Supermicro motherboards

55C is the ambient temperature. Intel lists 105C as the maximum for the chip itself. See page 1113 of the datasheet.
  3. B

75C won't damage anything and is not something to be concerned about. Hot for humans, but not electronics. Most NIC chips are rated for 105-110C.
  4. B

Compatibility of Supermicro boards and housings

Supermicro lists the maximum supported size. In fact, the photo they have on the chassis page has it pictured with an mATX motherboard. Cooling is also a non-issue given it's a 65W CPU.
  5. B

Looking to pay for detailed consultation on home server build

A number of Xeons do support QSV actually. No need to get a GPU if you get the right CPU.
  6. B

Recommend a motherboard with dual PCIe 5.0 x16 running at x16

Just don't be disappointed when desktop workloads perform worse than consumer CPUs (no Core or Ryzen CPU has that many PCIe lanes available): https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=SIENAD8UD3
  7. B

FS: Lots of Supermicro servers/motherboards, DDR4 RDIMMs, drives, etc

I would. You will need to enable PMs on your account if we're to sort anything out however.
  8. B

Motherboard/CPU Advice for Simple File Server

A few exceptions aside, if you have 6 pin PCIe power connectors on the motherboard, that's to supply additional power to the motherboard, not to run a cable from it to a GPU. If you have many high power devices (which can draw 75W from the slot), plus a demanding GPU, it's possible to exceed...
  9. B

You won't need to swap heatsinks for a 2U chassis. It will work just fine with the existing one (mine were run in a Supermicro 2U chassis). Should you go down that route though, the heatsink is removable looking at one of my personal boards, though it's not standard (there really is no such...
  10. B

ASRock D1541D4U-2T8R? Has a modest, but low power CPU, supports RDIMMs, dual 10GbE, and integrated LSI SAS3 HBA. Still have a couple PCIe slots to work with too.
  11. B

WD HDD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212AL4205 12TB 3.5" SAS $76.89

Blame Google or other search engines for that, not eBay.
  12. B

WD HDD Ultrastar DC HC520 HUH721212AL4205 12TB 3.5" SAS $76.89

When you sort by price, it always goes off total price, shipping inclusive. There is no manipulating the search results that way.
  13. B

IPMI networking - too many ports used?

If you really don't have space for another switch, you don't have to use the dedicated IPMI ports. You can share with the primary NIC and just set a different VLAN for it in the UEFI settings.
  14. B

FS: Atom C3558 Fanless Network Appliance

Yes, still available. Shipping depends on location, but is generally $10 at most, assuming you're within the continental US.
  15. B

Supermicro X11SCA-F Bios update issue

You're good. I will mention that normally it's only advised to update UEFI if you have a technical reason to do so.
  16. B

Anyone using package forwarding?

What's the use case for domestic? You could get a mailbox at a UPS store, but I can't see what you'd be getting out of that.
  17. B

Teracopy undo delete

Used this in the past, but I'm sure there are numerous alternatives, some of which may be free: Disk Recovery Software and Hard Drive Recovery tool for Windows, Mac, and Linux
  18. B

Supermicro BIOS & IPMI Listing (including older versions)

I have no particular schedule on which I update the page, but I've gone ahead and added another ~450 items.